LED's and Tail Tidy's

Y

yourebarred

Hello UK folk,

I can't see any difference in three tail tidies that seem to be available here, except for price.
SP Engineering do it with numberplate light for £40
Evotech without the light £56
R&G without the light for £69

Can anyone else tell the difference or have any reviews?

The SP and R&G ones are also available with a set of LED indicators, but these seem to be bog standard Motrax jobs, which cost about £12 normally and I therefore presume are crud.

In terms of decent, bright LED indicators, does anyone have any experiences in the UK?
Rizoma around £80 a pair, Kellermann much the same. The Oberons are slightly better at £60 odds but this still seems mighty expensive considering the relative cost off the Cree chip nowadays..

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought my tail tidy off philz from here, not sure which one it was but I agree most of them look the same.

I bought some cheapish LED's of ebay for mine and a number plate screw light

nivag

Reaction score
Visit site
I used number plate light bolts on mine: [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008U0WBKY/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B008U0WBKY&linkCode=as2&tag=nivsolltd-21"]2x White LED Motorcycle Car License Plate Light Bolts: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike[/ame]

I would take a photo but it's filthy :D

greg

UK Luchador
Reaction score
Visit site
numberplate lights are a legal requirement, you'd fail your MOT without one AFAIK (unless it's a daytime only MOT)

that said a smaller numberplate would also be a fail, I used to swap my tail tidy over for my MOT, now I just keep the original on

Y

yourebarred

1Animal1 Can you find the ebay link? And which indicators did you run with?
Those number plate light bolts are cool, but are they bright enough?

1Animal1

Reaction score
Visit site
I just removed the rubber on the standard indicators, then used the bolt mount to fix to the tailtidy. I probably won't go LED, these look good enough for me.

I can't access Ebay at work - if you search 'eliminator tail tidy FZ6' there's one on UK Ebay for £10.99.

Also, the bolts are bright enough, though the stipulation is that you have a plate light, there's nothing on the intensity, I would imagine that is subjective. I have 2 new black bolt lights, but I'm thinking that if i manage to mount the reflector like I'd like to, then I may run with a more standard looking albeit LED kind of unit that overhangs.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
I've got something like this :) Chinese Ebay ;)

1jj1.jpg

Y

yourebarred

Cool, well thanks for all your input. I don't mean to labour this point, but for a bit of folded aluminium, some of these companies are having a giraffe.

So as far as I can see, I have two options;
SP Engineering £49, comes with indicators and number plate light.
or
HongKong £10.99 plate, plus http://r.ebay.com/g5Bsqk at £2.89 plate light, giving me the equivalent of £30 to spend on indicators.

Any suggestions around this mark?
Or just give up on the cost cutting and buy the bloody Yamaha ones and be done with it?!

Y

yourebarred

Do the oem ones just pop out and reattach with no splicing or soldering then?

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
OEM light is a one thing with the whole mudguard, so I don't believe you can simply use it, unless you cut it off from the original one.

Y

yourebarred

Hmm yeah, see what you mean.
Do the oem indicators fit the tail tidy?

Y

yourebarred

So I bought the HK cheapo plate, and instantly regretted it. It isn't made to fit the oem indicators at all, so have modded bits to make it work.

So far I removed the original setup, and have taken these ears off the indicator plastic plates so that they sit flush to the new mount.