Fuel Grade (regular, mid-range or premium)

Fuel Grade

• Regular

Votes: 397 44.1%
  • Mid-range

Votes: 68 7.5%
  • Premium

Votes: 436 48.4%

• Total voters

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree with most of your post, but the above portion is inaccurate. Air density decreases with increasing altitude. At sea level it is greater than at elevation.

Apparently a grammar fail ("Running at sea level.... ") as I ran that together, but the intent was correct. More air = LEAN = increased tendency towards detonation. Double whammy if the air is dry and hot.

What it comes down to is this; its not the most sophisticated ECU for engine management. It does OK, but it could do more. The addition of a knock sensor and it could advance the timing MORE when better fuel is used (increase MPG and performance) and retard it when poor fuel is encountered. From a performance aspect its lacking as it strives to maintain stoichiometric ratio with its narrow band O2 sensor (its not a race bike). Its great for fuel economy and the environment, but keeps the performance below its potential.
Sorry about the confusion.

Ramarius

Two wheel addict
Reaction score
Visit site
Premium, not only for the octane rating, but because it has no corn juice in it(ethanol). I don't mind running a little ethanol in the large engines, but not in any of my motorcycles.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Premium, not only for the octane rating, but because it has no corn juice in it(ethanol). I don't mind running a little ethanol in the large engines, but not in any of my motorcycles.
Lucky you, here in NJ ethanol content is the same for all three grades. So it'd just be pissed money lol

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
I think you would need a much larger sample set to assume 40MPG on Reg and 46MPG on Premium.

5000+ miles, all summer long. High humidity, 80F+ temps, 50 miles to work, 50 miles back. 45 miles each way are highway. 60-70mph most of the way except when passing schoolbuses (115mph). 200lb rider with an extra 20lbs of gym clothes, lunch, saddlebags, shower gear, etc.

46-48 mpg on premium, 40-42 mpg on regular. Once I got around 5k worth of numbers, I ditched Fuelly.

We've got the 10% ethanol here Indiana. Only one place that sells without and I don't notice any difference in performance.

I know the octane boosters work based on this bike and trips all over hell's creation in my stock 96 Jeep Cherokee. 20-21mpg on the highway, 87 octane. Add 1 $4 bottle of fuel conditioner and it comes up to 25mpg. That's the inline 6 4.0L, too. Did a 3000 mile trip and confirmed via odometer.

Performance at the wrist is really neither here nor there. The bike breaks all local speed limits without effort on whatever I put in the tank. The only difference I notice is the MPG - and even that is only about 20 miles per tank at best.

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In these parts there is no "winter grade gas" its 365 now.... Grow more corn, add more water to the system...

banddr2

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 5k on my bike since I acquired it in August. I began with premium, but after reading this thread I did about 1k with regular and then back to premium. I noticed that the engine growled more with regular and runs more smoothly on premium. So if you like the growling/howling go with regular, I am going to stick with premium because I like the smoothness. I was actually surprised I noticed that much of a difference.

long101

Reaction score
Visit site
I have 5k on my bike since I acquired it in August. I began with premium, but after reading this thread I did about 1k with regular and then back to premium. I noticed that the engine growled more with regular and runs more smoothly on premium. So if you like the growling/howling go with regular, I am going to stick with premium because I like the smoothness. I was actually surprised I noticed that much of a difference.

I started with premium as well, but switched to regular half way through last summer. I did not notice any difference. Premium is no longer the .20 cent difference from regular it use to be, I think its about .60 in Chicago. Adds up for some mental difference

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I just filled my bike for the first time this past weekend. I put regular in, and will for a month or two.. then ill switch to premium and evaluate the difference and post back here later this summer!

justaguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Topic has been beaten to death in the in the past? Just buy what ever fuel makes the daddy parts stiff and just ride till the wheels fall off.:cheer:

drifter001

Reaction score
Visit site
just got my bike but i run premium in my subie and so far been running premium on my bike as well. the dealership told me it can run on regular but it'll run better on premium so thats what I've been doing

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
just got my bike but i run premium in my subie and so far been running premium on my bike as well. the dealership told me it can run on regular but it'll run better on premium so thats what I've been doing

give running regular in your bike a shot and report back with the findings.. I'm doing the opposite.. just got my bike and running regular and then after 5-6 tanks will switch to premium and see if there's actually a difference(likely not though.. if there was yamaha would be telling us to run one or the other;))

Burt2707

Reaction score
Visit site
I have found I prefer the sound under load when it has 95. I tried a few tanks of 98 but it put me off a little every time. I have only put 1 tank of regular through and I didn't like it at all.

The grey line is where I changed to a +1 front sprocket. manually adjusted to mitigate the 16 vs 17 tooth difference, checked against real world distance of my daily commute to work.

The Red text is 98, orange 95 and green 91. Not enough evidence to suggest 1 has better mileage than another, in fact nearly enough evidence to show no difference. It all goes on sound and how it feels under heavy load... in other words, pure personal preference.

Last edited:

FinalImpact

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've decided to go strictly pure alcohol as do all the pros do..
:rockon:

Somehow I'm guessing the bike didn't get a drop of it! Blah

Again - this bike doesn't adjust or adapt to fuel quality like a modern cage does. Its ECU is not advancing the ignition timing so it not going to benefit from higher octane fuel. It doesn't have variable valve timing, knock sensors, or an advanced fuel/ignition MAP to gain from such things, so its like adding High Test to your lawn mower. Not a value add.

HOWEVER, if you place it into a condition where it can harm itself due to detonation, running higher octane fuel may preserve its life.