how much do dealers usually mark up?

ESR_86

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi I'm new here and I'm interested in an fz6 at a local used bike dealer. They've marked it at $6300 and it had a few upgrades like a two bros exhaust setup and after market wind screen. I'm wondering how much dealers usually mark up to adjust for negotiating and how much I should be able to bring down the price. The bike and to be in excellent condition with about 8000 miles on it no signs of drops.

All info is much appreciated.

outasight20

Reaction score
Visit site
That is an absurd asking price. You should be able to get that bike for under $4,000 from a private party. From a dealer I wouldn't pay more than maybe $4,500.

What is the model year?

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I know i am not in canada, but i paid 6900 for my 05 back in 05. Agreed that you should not pay over 4500. 4k sounds way more reasonable. oh and its an 07? thats a high price for a 7 year old bike. all the mods you could do to the bike wouldnt make it worth that price.. i would look for a local or forum seller.. good luck!!

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a few canadian friends and prices on bikes and automobiles up there are significantly higher normally. That asking price is more like $5,000 here in the states which seams about right for a dealer on a low mileage bike if it's ready to go with fresh rubber.

When you consider that I paid $5,399 for my 2006 FZ6 when it was brand new with 1 mile on the clock that does seem super overpriced to me! I bought mine from a dealer but they had the 07's out and were liquidating the 06's so I made out like a bandit! :thumbup:

seacliff

Reaction score
Visit site
I should mention that I'm in Canada if that affects price ... It's an 07

That's too high for an 07. I paid 6k 4 years ago for mine. Somewhere around 4 and 5k would be a more reasonable price for it.

Prices in Canada are a bit higher then the US.

ESR_86

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, great info from all of you, thanks. The dealer got the bike from the states so they probably paid next to nothing for it seeing as though you guys were getting them new for what they are asking... I don't think they will come down to $4000 but I guess I'll go in there with the cash and see what they say, no harm in trying.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow, great info from all of you, thanks. The dealer got the bike from the states so they probably paid next to nothing for it seeing as though you guys were getting them new for what they are asking... I don't think they will come down to $4000 but I guess I'll go in there with the cash and see what they say, no harm in trying.

My guess is the dealer either doesn't know that the value of this bike isn't that high or is trying to find a "sucker" to buy it for 2X what he paid because it's April! :thumbup:

dpaul007

Reaction score
Visit site
Money conversion for today:
4,000.00 US Dollars equals
4,382.74 Canadian Dollars

They are still asking too much, even in CAD. I'd keep looking around. And as fizzer mentioned, it's just the start of riding season, so you'll so it more this time of year.

regder

Reaction score
Visit site
Did you purposely leave out the mileage in the ad? LOL. Good luck selling that bike man. I'll be in the same boat as I plan to keep mine well past 50K miles.

Lol, just plain forgetful. I copied the text from my kijiji ad and forgot to add the mileage

ESR_86

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, neither would I that's why I was asking if anybody had an idea of how much dealers mark up their bikes to make room for negotiating because lets face it, who walks in to a used dealership and pays the asking price? I know they got it from the states so they probably payed bottom dollar for it and put a little maintenance into it to bring it to certification and then they need to make a profit on top, but asking almost what it was going for brand new in the US is kind of absurd so I don't really expect them to come down to a fair price but that said I'll roll the dice and walk in with $4000 and try to talk my way down to that.

atticuss66

Reaction score
Visit site
Shop around for sure. The stealership is trying to make some bucks.
I bought mine last May for 4800.00 and that was still too high...but when u want a bike in the spring , you will pay .

seacliff

Reaction score
Visit site
Money conversion for today:
4,000.00 US Dollars equals
4,382.74 Canadian Dollars

They are still asking too much, even in CAD. I'd keep looking around. And as fizzer mentioned, it's just the start of riding season, so you'll so it more this time of year.

There's more then just the money conversion. We have to pay taxes and taxes on taxes and tire taxes for any vehicule.

At the end of the day though, 6.3k is still too much! Blah

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
There's more then just the money conversion. We have to pay taxes and taxes on taxes and tire taxes for any vehicule.

At the end of the day though, 6.3k is still too much! Blah

Isn't it funny how prices are going up because the Canadian dollar dropped 10%, yet when it raised 30% the prices never decreased. All going to the 1%.

seacliff

Reaction score
Visit site
Isn't it funny how prices are going up because the Canadian dollar dropped 10%, yet when it raised 30% the prices never decreased. All going to the 1%.

You've got that all wrong
All prices were set when the canadian dollars was worth .70. Prices were never ajusted since then :spank: