Polished my header

garmie

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought some Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish and got to work on the header. My bike is a 2006 with about 7700 miles and the header had surely never been polished before.

Before
20140407_193921.jpg

After
20140407_215630.jpg

It's still not quite perfect, but it's much better.

After I finished up, I noticed that my rear brake lever was bent inward toward the center stand spring so much that the spring was grinding a groove into the lever. I'm new to bikes so I didn't even notice the friction on the spring until close examination by chance. I bent it outward about a 1/4 inch and now it's all good. The bending was likely from the drop from the previous owner.

Last task was to remove the Warning sticker from the tank. No sign of it left except a barely noticeable ridge from the sticker outline.

...I had to share after being proud of my work. Thanks for reading.:thumbup:

Last edited:

tejkowskit

Gold Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks good. I plan to do this in the coming week..but did you say 06 with 7700 miles? Enough detailing, time to get out and ride! Blah

turbid

Reaction score
Visit site
stanless steel polish will not do much to remove the brown stains, there is no harm in trying but i did not find it effective, it does make the headers slippery though!

nice work OP

pester

pester
Reaction score
Visit site
stanless steel polish will not do much to remove the brown stains, there is no harm in trying but i did not find it effective, it does make the headers slippery though!

nice work OP

Thanks for the tip

sent from my s4

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tip

sent from my s4

If you already have stainless steel polish then go ahead and use it. It WILL work, it's stainless steel polish! lol. As far as making the surface slippery, that would only because its polishing off the rough stuff baked on the header.. any polish will make it feel like that. I used Mothers mag and aluminum polish and it worked fine. Most of those metal polishes do the exact same job.

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
I like to use a blue pot scrubber with some Mother's mag. This is after 30 minutes of scrubbing them for the first time since the weather turned nice. Prior to this they had 6 months of riding in rain on them.

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm OCD about keeping my bike clean but there's no way in hell I'd sit there
and rub that sh€t for 30 minutes (someone better not take that out of context).

I'd rather pay one of you nutters to do it for me!
(Don't take that out of context either!)

boarder4life81

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm OCD about keeping my bike clean but there's no way in hell I'd sit there
and rub that sh€t for 30 minutes (someone better not take that out of context).

I'd rather pay one of you nutters to do it for me!
(Don't take that out of context either!)

Only takes me 30 minutes the first couple of times, after washing the bike anyways. Once you get the grime off it's all about maintaining. A quick rub down :innocent: after washing and your done.

Cortez

Reaction score
Visit site
Only takes me 30 minutes the first couple of times, after washing the bike anyways. Once you get the grime off it's all about maintaining. A quick rub down :innocent: after washing and your done.

Might be the fact that I live in an apartment so I don't have anything "handy", or a garage where I'd run away to and mess around on the bike, so, I just don't
do anything on it other then ride it.

:rolleyes: