Bigger things to come

ypuny2a6.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking like she might stand out in the crowd when all is said and done! Very nice!
What kind of product is on there?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks, other plastics are done, left to do is the tank (white), wheels and subframe (red) and hugger (black).

I'll be keeping that a secret until it's done. ;)

gotta go slowly cause my paint booth is the basement, and the HVAC likes to blow noxious fumes through the house if I'm too productive in a day. Luckily spring is a long time off here in Cleveland.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
I wish FZ's came that colour straight from the factory. Looks awesome!

I sure hope you removed the tank pads before painting though!:spank:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
I sure hope you removed the tank pads before painting though!:spank:

So - it's plastidip - which means that had I stuck the tank pads to it, they would probably rip right off in the middle of a knee dragging corner. I stuck the pads to the real paint, masked it off an painted around the pads, after all, the white isn't a permanent finish, so it's not going to have that ugly issue of a red spot under the tank pads :p

when I want another color or a professional coat on it, i'll peel off the white and hit it with a nice finish (after taking off the pads of course)

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
So - it's plastidip - which means that had I stuck the tank pads to it, they would probably rip right off in the middle of a knee dragging corner. I stuck the pads to the real paint, masked it off an painted around the pads, after all, the white isn't a permanent finish, so it's not going to have that ugly issue of a red spot under the tank pads :p

when I want another color or a professional coat on it, i'll peel off the white and hit it with a nice finish (after taking off the pads of course)

ahhhh ok. good haha!looks awesome man

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
few minutes later.. looks so awesome I'm you tubing plasti-dip! Is it easy to do yourself?

Did it in the basement with rattle cans. My finish isn't perfect, I definitely have a few areas for improvement, mainly about the top layer (pearl coat isn't as shiny outside as it was in the basement, might be because I've loaded wax on top).

Tip: Use TurtleWax Ice - it'll go on well, make it much more durable, scratch resistant and easy to clean. Also since it is gasoline soluble, plasti-dip is something you want to be very careful around when you're filling your tank. I think the wax will help you have a couple more seconds to wipe before it ruins it though!

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Did it in the basement with rattle cans. My finish isn't perfect, I definitely have a few areas for improvement, mainly about the top layer (pearl coat isn't as shiny outside as it was in the basement, might be because I've loaded wax on top).

Tip: Use TurtleWax Ice - it'll go on well, make it much more durable, scratch resistant and easy to clean. Also since it is gasoline soluble, plasti-dip is something you want to be very careful around when you're filling your tank. I think the wax will help you have a couple more seconds to wipe before it ruins it though!

you put wax over top of the plasti-dip you mean? I assume with plastidip a paint like finish isn't attainable, is it?

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
When I saw the first photo I was suprised how bad the clear coat looks on the paiting. And then the truth came out :) Nice looking bike.
How many cans did you use ?
About fuel spilling etc - maybe a black stripe of vinyl going through the middle part of the tank, color matching the sides, would help to prevent gas damage?

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
When I saw the first photo I was suprised how bad the clear coat looks on the paiting. And then the truth came out :) Nice looking bike.
How many cans did you use ?
About fuel spilling etc - maybe a black stripe of vinyl going through the middle part of the tank, color matching the sides, would help to prevent gas damage?

4 cans of white, 2 of red, 1 black, 2 pearlizer. Still need to do the bellypan, it's just a white gelcoat right now but nobody knows that. I'm not too worried about the gas actually, I'm pretty religious about making sure there's none left in the nozzle before I stick it in my tank, then I put my gloved hand under it when I put it in or pull it out.

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
you put wax over top of the plasti-dip you mean? I assume with plastidip a paint like finish isn't attainable, is it?

Yeah, I guess that wasn't clear.

Feels like paint actually. And if you're looking for more of a slick, glossy finish, you can put a regular clearcoat over the top of the plasti dip just fine, it does make it a bit harder to remove, but does a lot to protect it. Right now my bike has 5 coats of white/red with a couple thin layers of pearlizer over the top. I applied wax on top of it pretty heavily, so if I get scuffs (dirty black leather gloves) they come right off with a light wet rag. The wax gives it a harder surface, I'm not worried about it coming off if I scrape it with something (obviously if I were to go at it ferociously with a pair of keys or steel wool it wouldn't be good, but nothing can handle that...)

04FZSick

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I guess that wasn't clear.

Feels like paint actually. And if you're looking for more of a slick, glossy finish, you can put a regular clearcoat over the top of the plasti dip just fine, it does make it a bit harder to remove, but does a lot to protect it. Right now my bike has 5 coats of white/red with a couple thin layers of pearlizer over the top. I applied wax on top of it pretty heavily, so if I get scuffs (dirty black leather gloves) they come right off with a light wet rag. The wax gives it a harder surface, I'm not worried about it coming off if I scrape it with something (obviously if I were to go at it ferociously with a pair of keys or steel wool it wouldn't be good, but nothing can handle that...)

Does the tank feel incredibly "grippy", reason I ask is I test drove an fz6 where the guy painted the tank with plastidip and it had a rubbery grip to it. Which is what I understood plasti-dip was originally designed for. Bike looks great btw :thumbup:

lawlberg

Booth Babe
Reaction score
Visit site
Does the tank feel incredibly "grippy", reason I ask is I test drove an fz6 where the guy painted the tank with plastidip and it had a rubbery grip to it. Which is what I understood plasti-dip was originally designed for. Bike looks great btw :thumbup:

Not really - the wax smoothes it out. My tank pads are super grippy though.

But yeah, it definitely doesn't feel like the original gloss coat though.

Marcin

Reaction score
Visit site
4 cans of white, 2 of red, 1 black, 2 pearlizer. Still need to do the bellypan, it's just a white gelcoat right now but nobody knows that. I'm not too worried about the gas actually, I'm pretty religious about making sure there's none left in the nozzle before I stick it in my tank, then I put my gloved hand under it when I put it in or pull it out.

Nine cans, twenty-five bucks each. Plus shipping. 250 dollars. Why do I live so far away from cheap plasti-dip? :(