how much do dealers usually mark up?

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
You've got that all wrong
All prices were set when the canadian dollars was worth .70. Prices were never ajusted since then :spank:

Sure they were, and they are now (just look at gas prices for example, they're going up because of the 10% drop in the canadian dollar).

Prices never adjusted when it became stronger, so they shouldn't be adjusted when it weakens.

seacliff

Reaction score
Visit site
Sure they were, and they are now (just look at gas prices for example, they're going up because.
Fixed it for you ! :)

By adjusting price, I meant lowering the price because of a higher dollar value not the other way around. Any reason's good to jack up a price!

Cars are a good example of that, MSRP between US and canada doesn't reflect exchange rates even if its been stable for a while now.

FIZZER6

The Angry Blue Mantis
Reaction score
Visit site
There's more then just the money conversion. We have to pay taxes and taxes on taxes and tire taxes for any vehicule.

At the end of the day though, 6.3k is still too much! Blah

Isn't it funny how expensive free health care really is in the end? Don't worry, we down south aren't far behind you in tax rates and getting closer with these idiots at the helm. :spank:

dschult2

Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, neither would I that's why I was asking if anybody had an idea of how much dealers mark up their bikes to make room for negotiating because lets face it, who walks in to a used dealership and pays the asking price? I know they got it from the states so they probably payed bottom dollar for it and put a little maintenance into it to bring it to certification and then they need to make a profit on top, but asking almost what it was going for brand new in the US is kind of absurd so I don't really expect them to come down to a fair price but that said I'll roll the dice and walk in with $4000 and try to talk my way down to that.

If that's the bike you really want then I would suggest you go in there, tell them you don't feel like haggling and give them the price you are willing to pay out the door. Then if they turn that down (which more then likely they will) polity thank them for their time and give them your name and number (or better yet a business card if you have one) and tell them the offer's on the table until you find another bike and to give you a call if they change their mind. That's worked for me in the past on a couple of cars as I got a call a day or two later. No dealer likes to see a sure sale go strolling out the door.

ESR_86

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a bad idea...I was planning on going with $4500 and start haggling at $4000 though I can't help but feel they'll basically laugh at me when I offer $4000. That said, I've become pretty informed over the past few weeks on the going price for these bikes and feel I could put up a decent argument knowing that they bought if from the States...if they're hard asses I'll throw in the appeal of offering to buy it as is.

bdevries

Reaction score
Visit site
Not a bad idea...I was planning on going with $4500 and start haggling at $4000 though I can't help but feel they'll basically laugh at me when I offer $4000. That said, I've become pretty informed over the past few weeks on the going price for these bikes and feel I could put up a decent argument knowing that they bought if from the States...if they're hard asses I'll throw in the appeal of offering to buy it as is.

I would guess walking in with 4500 would do the trick.. Unfortunately right now is just a bad time to buy a bike. I paid 3900 for mine but could likely sell it for 5000 now with the prices I'm seeing on auto trader.

erburtt

Reaction score
Visit site

Bring in some Kijiji adds with you for current FZ6 listings as proof your not just trying to low-ball them and remind them a stock bike is worth way more than a modified bike, any reputable dealer who's been in the game any reasonable amount of time should know that.

I know the issue has been well beaten down but I think that listing price is hilarious, there were brand new 2009 FZ6's with 15-20 km on the clock, two brothers exhaust systems and power commander 4's last year at a dealer in Toronto asking 6,999, before any sort of haggling

ESR_86

Reaction score
Visit site
Hmm, I agree and this is a great point to bring up during haggling (stock being worth more)...I know this dealership knows their stuff, they've been around a long time and have a pretty good rep in my city, I should be able to reason with the salesman, also, printing out some kijiji ads isn't a bad idea either.

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
What the heck happened to the CAD? Was is not worth more than the USD not too long ago? Man, what a surprise. Back to the dealer asking price, yeah, I about fell over because that's about the price I bought my '07 new seven years ago.

aclayonb

Reaction score
Visit site
Picked my 08 up last year, $4200 from a dealer. 10k miles. Fz1 bars, light kit, fender eliminator, dual headlight mod. Had it marked 5k. He didn't even argue with $4200. Can pick em' up all day in Indiana for under 4k from a private party, nowadays.

ESR_86

Reaction score
Visit site
So slight change of direction, I went to that dealer and offered the $4000 and the salesman gave me some sob story about how his daughter is in school and he has to pay for it and if he sold me the bike at that price, he'd lose his job...so as suggested, I left him my card with my offer but while waiting around and looking other bikes on kijiji I found a deal I could't pass up.

I ended up grabbing a mint condition 2006 Suzuki sv650s with 17000km for a great price. I have to say, I'm quite pleased with the bike, not as powerful as the fz6 but lighter and I'm really liking the sound and feel of the twin.

Guess it's time to go join the sv forum :Flip:

All kidding aside, thanks for all the help people.

iviyth0s

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So slight change of direction, I went to that dealer and offered the $4000 and the salesman gave me some sob story about how his daughter is in school and he has to pay for it and if he sold me the bike at that price, he'd lose his job...so as suggested, I left him my card with my offer but while waiting around and looking other bikes on kijiji I found a deal I could't pass up.

I ended up grabbing a mint condition 2006 Suzuki sv650s with 17000km for a great price. I have to say, I'm quite pleased with the bike, not as powerful as the fz6 but lighter and I'm really liking the sound and feel of the twin.

Guess it's time to go join the sv forum :Flip:

All kidding aside, thanks for all the help people.
Lol, you should have told him how your son has a terminal illness and always wanted to ride on the back of a motorcycle just once after all the stories you told him about how wonderful it is. :Flip:

Excellent, how much did you get it for??

I thought I got ripped off paying $4400USD for a completely stock '07 FZ6 (even stock tires, though it does have frame sliders on it) with 4100mi.

ESR_86

Reaction score
Visit site
The guy just had a kid and his wife didn't want him riding anymore so I was able to talk him down to $4000 on the dot and it needs nothing for safety.

Also, it came with a rear stand, passenger seat cover and original passenger seat, two brothers full carbon exhaust including the stock exhaust, 1.5 inch riser bars as well as stock bars, and a fender eliminator kit.

Pretty good deal considering the time of year.