Poor man's radiator guard...Cost=$4

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
right now i can't afford a beowulf radiator guard $100 so i decided to build my own! went to home depot and bought a gutter gaurd for about $3 and safety wire $1
photo8-4.jpg
photo7-5.jpg

cut a piece w/ a heavy duty scissor = 11 3/8 inches and rounded the edges off a little so i wont scratch stuff up..took off the bolt that holds the radiator gaurd in place
photo6-7.jpg

i chose safety wire instead of zipties so i wont have to worry about them melting...i cut 9 pieces of safety wire like this
photo5-6.jpg

i thought about putting the mesh on the back of the radiator gaurd but i felt it wouldnt do a lot of protecting so i put it in the front..
photo4-6.jpg

heres what it looks like(sorry for the blurry pic)
photo3-7.jpg

theres is a small portion of the radiator that is still exposed but i find that something is better than nothing. i placed the mesh more toward the top bc i have more dings and dents up there than the bottom

yamihoe

Professional test dummy
Reaction score
Visit site
I made mine out of a paper divider thingy....smaller holes and mine is in front of the radiator....it can get clogged with mud sometimes so I may try the wire like you have done...:thumbup:

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everybody! I'm planning to ride as soon as it stops raining to see if it makes noise, loose, etc... I was first goin to go w a metal fly mesh for screen doors $8 but I thought it was way to thin. another option was to get a ready made 1'x2' aluminum radiator gaurd $19 for house radiator heaters but the holes were too small n some of the cut patterns would look doofy.

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
interesting,but didnt your bike come with a plastic rad guard as standard or did you fancy some chrome work

yea my bike comes stock w/ the plastic radiator gaurd thats what i safety wired it to. the stock guard doesnt do a great job of guarding anything lol

Gutter guards are only $3?!?
Man I need to do my whole house...:BLAA:

lol

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site
yea my bike comes stock w/ the plastic radiator gaurd thats what i safety wired it to. the stock guard doesnt do a great job of guarding anything lol

lol

i have stone chips all over the frontal parts of my bike,the rad has a dent in the right radiator part under the rad cap,the rad core however is in mint condition so the stock gaurd for does a fine job for me,10 out 10 for inginuity though,if you could form a nice edging strip and some mounting points it would quality

sparkycrew

Reaction score
Visit site

lol

i have stone chips all over the frontal parts of my bike,the rad has a dent in the right radiator part under the rad cap,the rad core however is in mint condition so the stock gaurd does a fine job for me,10 out of 10 for inginuity though,if you could form a nice edging strip and some mounting points it would be quality