Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  40
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Do you use ear plugs to prevent hearing damage.

Voters
380. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I wear them all the time

200 52.63%
  • No never used them..

142 37.37%
  • Pardon......

38 10.00%
Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast
    Nelly (OP)
    International Liaison Ear plugs or no ear plugs that is the question? Nelly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Ear plugs or no ear plugs that is the question?

I never used them before a while back, until I found one day after a long day in the saddle. My ears were ringing. I now use them even on short trips. So who uses and who doesn't?
    Last edited by Nelly; 08-03-2013 at 01:19 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont use them, I love the sound of the squirrel cage turning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope, nor me.

Used to work in a factory before Health & Safety realised that constant exposure to noise makes you deaf. Never mind ear plugs, could probably do with a hearing aid :O)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually add to the noise by listening to music on trips. gotta love that rush of taking a curve perfectly while listening to your favorite song.

maybe one day I'll invest in a set of noise-reduction earbuds, and that will help.

The faster red one!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont use them because I think it is better to be able to hear the engine and all the noise around you. Plus having earbuds in could cause you to go deaf.

Throw away earphones or go deaf, iPod users told | News | This is London

At least with Ipod earbuds

100K Mile Member Ear plugs or no ear plugs that is the question? VEGASRIDER's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I never wear ear plugs just because I believe the plugs are a hazard in itself. I ride in Las Vegas where there is a lot of traffic. I believe that being able to hear is another line of defence, and by reducing the noise level, might prevent you from hearing a suttle screach of tires, or hearing another vehicle that has encroached into your blind spot. The old saying, look and listen. Kind of like wearing a sun visor at night, even though it will cut the glare of oncoming headlights, it reduces your visibiltiy. My advise is that maybe you don't have the right helmet. Every helmet is different as far as the amount of noise it shields. Some helmets are quieter than others.

Vegasrider

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After years of having my guitar amp volume knob cranked on "Shake the pictures off the wall" and working in construction with various types of loud equipment(Drills, small engines, blowers, supervisors, etc, etc....) my hearing sucks. Now this isn't a bad thing all the time. I have a legitimate excuse when my wife tells me to do something I don't want to do I can say " I'm sorry Honey, I didn't hear you say that." And when I get old and have to have hearing aids I can simply "Turn people off" like my grandfather use to do.

As far as wearing ear plugs while riding, I never have but I don't think they would cause any problems for me if I chose to do so.(Seeing how I can't hear so well anyway, right?) The experiences I've had with noise and ear plugs tend to go like this. Everything sounds really muffled when I first put them in but then my hearing adjusts and I can hear everything clearly, just not so loud. I don't see any danger in wearing ear plugs when riding, I just choose not to.
    If there is no such thing as a dumb question, how come people always say " You ask a dumb question, you get a dumb answer."?

wrightme43
    I promise if you try them, you will realise they are not a danger and are a help.
    You will have more available mental capacity for the ride, be more rested, more calm, and still hear everything you heard before. Nothing you need to hear will be hidden. Try it and I promise you will like it. Get GOOD ones though, not cheap crap.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    60 miles or 60 miles per hour is what the hardcore riders at work go by when it comes to ear plugs. It is true, you can still hear pretty much everything around you, even buddy beside you driving in your blind spot. I found that it really reduces the wind noise, and now I can even hear the engine on my bike going down the highway. It takes your mind off of the noise the wind is creating... But I'm not discounting the fact that it could be the helmet, but I have had a few middle of the line lids and all pretty much make the same amount of noise just a different pitch, and spending $1k on a quiet lid or a few bucks on ear plugs makes the decision easy.

(Off topic - wrightme43, love the quote. One of my top 5 movies ever)

wrightme43
    Quote Originally Posted by besier View Post

(Off topic - wrightme43, love the quote. One of my top 5 movies ever)
    The best part is it can apply to san fancisco or washington D.C. LOL

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast