Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  40
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: Do you use ear plugs to prevent hearing damage.

Voters
380. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I wear them all the time

200 52.63%
  • No never used them..

142 37.37%
  • Pardon......

38 10.00%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What 'brand' of earplugs are the most comfortable? I wear earplugs in another sporting activity along with electronic earmuffs, but I can only stand having the earplugs in for half an hour at most before I have to take them out. I use the foam "roll up" type that I first reduce in size by rolling them in my fingers, then inserting them in my ear canal where they expand to fill the ear canal.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries
    I wear earplugs all the time while driving. The earphones I got for my MP3 don't reduce outside noise well enough so I'm back with the earplugs. If I don't use them the wind noise gets too disturbing and my ears start ringing.

With earplugs I've never had any problems in hearing what's happening around me. I guess it takes some time to adjust, especially with hearing your own voice a bit muffled.

When I get some extra money, I'm going to get myself custom-made earplugs with integrated earphones. I hope they're worth the 270 USD they cost...
    - Do you want the truth or something beautiful? -

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrack View Post
    I can only stand having the earplugs in for half an hour at most before I have to take them out.
    My guess is that you're using too big earplugs. I also use those foam plugs (the smallest size) but I always cut them in half to make them fit better as my ear canals are very narrow. Have you tried silicone 'filler' plugs?
    - Do you want the truth or something beautiful? -

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesfz6 View Post
    I dont use them because I think it is better to be able to hear the engine and all the noise around you. Plus having earbuds in could cause you to go deaf.

Throw away earphones or go deaf, iPod users told | News | This is London

At least with Ipod earbuds
    I agree. Ipod buds stink, even for regular listening. they aren't comfortable and distort music.

I use Sony in-ear phones, not technically "canalphones" but pretty close. I'm not in danger from going deaf anytime soon.

Nelly (OP)
    International Liaison Ear plugs or no ear plugs that is the question? Nelly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Question

Its pretty difficult to ask a dealer for a demo helmet. so often we buy on either recomondation or brand loyalty. I have had loads of helmets and they all seem pretty much the same. You are right though some are quieter than others. I recently saw an advert in superbike August 07 issue for Schuberth helmets. SHHH! the quietes helmet in the world. 92dB at 100kph. Im sorry 100kph are we moving yet. 92dB is well above the level that damage occurs at. There was also an exstensive test carried out buy RiDE. I will try to find the link. Ear plugs are the way to go as far as im concerned. Cheers

Nelly (OP)
    International Liaison Ear plugs or no ear plugs that is the question? Nelly's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VEGASRIDER View Post
    I never wear ear plugs just because I believe the plugs are a hazard in itself. I ride in Las Vegas where there is a lot of traffic. I believe that being able to hear is another line of defence, and by reducing the noise level, might prevent you from hearing a suttle screach of tires, or hearing another vehicle that has encroached into your blind spot. The old saying, look and listen. Kind of like wearing a sun visor at night, even though it will cut the glare of oncoming headlights, it reduces your visibiltiy. My advise is that maybe you don't have the right helmet. Every helmet is different as far as the amount of noise it shields. Some helmets are quieter than others.

Vegasrider
    HI mate, I for got to add your quote to my last reply sorry. I have found the link for the helmet noise test. This link is worth the trouble to have a peak at.
    http://www.ridetriangles.com/pdf/543/204009.pdf
    Last edited by Nelly; 07-19-2007 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Sorry I am terminally stupid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by besier View Post
    (Off topic - wrightme43, love the quote. One of my top 5 movies ever)
    I new that quote was familiar, just twigged where it's from :O)

Nelly (OP)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OneTrack View Post
    What 'brand' of earplugs are the most comfortable? I wear earplugs in another sporting activity along with electronic earmuffs, but I can only stand having the earplugs in for half an hour at most before I have to take them out. I use the foam "roll up" type that I first reduce in size by rolling them in my fingers, then inserting them in my ear canal where they expand to fill the ear canal.
    Hi Mate,

I use 3M soft ear plugs, they are about 1.00 for two pairs. i have no problrms wearing them for extended periods of time.

sportrider
    no I've never worn them, but my ears are shot anyways. I've never had my ears ring from wind noise, maybe its just me but I've ridden freeway speeds on my sportster with one of those "german" brain buckets and even then the noise didn't bug me.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast