Header
Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum

Home Gallery Forum Classified Ads Chat Links Reviews Memberships Games Site Info Shop

Go Back   Yamaha FZ6 Forums - International FZ6 Motorcycle Community Forum > FZ6 Related Discussion > Safety Equipment

Safety Equipment Its all about the protective gear

Old 04-06-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
turbo311
Icanhazkustumyoozertitle?

Bike: 2007 FZ-6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
turbo311 is on a distinguished road
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to turbo311 Send a message via Skype™ to turbo311
Question Shoei RF-1100 vs Arai Vector

I can't decide which one to buy. They both fit me very well after being fitted by a "helmet guru"(Shoei medium and Arai large) and I like them equally and they're very close in price. What do I do????

...crap I meant to make this a poll
turbo311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
Disco
A Member

Bike: 1997 XTZ660 Tenere & 2010 VStrom 650 (2008 FZ6N sadly gone 22/10/11)
Thanked 1,491 Times in 836 Posts
Disco has a brilliant futureDisco has a brilliant futureDisco has a brilliant futureDisco has a brilliant futureDisco has a brilliant futureDisco has a brilliant futureDisco has a brilliant futureDisco has a brilliant futureDisco has a brilliant futureDisco has a brilliant futureDisco has a brilliant future
Re: Shoei RF-1100 vs Arai Vector

Flip a coin???

Sorry. Sucky dilemma to be in since they both fit properly.

RIP #58 Marco 'Hairbear' Simoncelli
Disco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Disco For This Useful Post:
Geoff (04-07-2010)
Old 04-06-2010, 10:08 PM   #3
Kazza
Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar

Bike: 08 FZ6N Competition White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 9,355 Times in 4,682 Posts
Kazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

If they both fit well, and are similar price, it now comes down to graphics

(I'm a Shoei person now - I have the RF-1000 - love it

Scorpion CF Cans; Ohlins rear shock; Ottimoto rear sets; Powerbronze belly pan; CF heel plates; Woodcraft sliders; Radguard; Clear indicators/tail-light; Red anodised oil cap, clutch adjuster & piston style valve caps; D3-Components FE; Yamaha dark smoke screen & Topbox; Rizoma black bars, red rear fluid reservoir, & bar ends; Pazzo std levers; Oxford heated grips; 15T sprocket; 12V power outlet; Healtech gear indicator & speedo healer; PCIII

#58 RIP Sic
Kazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:11 PM   #4
discgolfdude

Bike: 2006 FZ6, shift red
discgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant futurediscgolfdude has a brilliant future

I'd go with the graphics too, but which one will give you the best air flow in the helmet, quieter, and weigh less.

Mods:
BD43's Dual Headlight
Rox Speed FX 2" pivoting bar risers
center stand from fzme as a pay-it-forward
HVMP bar ends
GIVI Touring Screen
Oxford Heated Grips
FZ1 handle bar
Barkbuster hand guards
killernoodle's Clutch Slave Lever

soon to be added
Rizoma Zero 11 Turn Signals
HID headlight
discgolfdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 10:23 PM   #5
nimzotech
1st Photo Contest Winner

Bike: Blue '07 FZ6
nimzotech is a glorious beacon of lightnimzotech is a glorious beacon of lightnimzotech is a glorious beacon of lightnimzotech is a glorious beacon of lightnimzotech is a glorious beacon of lightnimzotech is a glorious beacon of light

Just to throw another bucket to the mix, the Arai RX-Q is a new 2010 helmet designed for the street. I got it, and love it.

When you seek it your eye cannot see it and your hand cannot reach it; when you no longer seek it, it will always be with you.
-Old Zen Proverb

My Mods

Fazer PhotoSynthesized
nimzotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
turbo311
Icanhazkustumyoozertitle?

Bike: 2007 FZ-6
turbo311 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to turbo311 Send a message via Skype™ to turbo311

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazza View Post
If they both fit well, and are similar price, it now comes down to graphics

(I'm a Shoei person now - I have the RF-1000 - love it
I'm most likely going for a solid in either case, debating among matte black, metallic grey, metallic black...

Quote:
Originally Posted by discgolfdude View Post
I'd go with the graphics too, but which one will give you the best air flow in the helmet, quieter, and weigh less.
I don't know for sure, but I think the Arai weighs less and the Shoei, with its new shape, is quieter.
turbo311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 AM   #7
Humperdinkel
Resident Rumologist

Bike: 2008 XJR1300.......Yeah baby :)
Thanked 11,987 Times in 5,672 Posts
Humperdinkel has a reputation beyond reputeHumperdinkel has a reputation beyond reputeHumperdinkel has a reputation beyond reputeHumperdinkel has a reputation beyond reputeHumperdinkel has a reputation beyond reputeHumperdinkel has a reputation beyond reputeHumperdinkel has a reputation beyond reputeHumperdinkel has a reputation beyond reputeHumperdinkel has a reputation beyond reputeHumperdinkel has a reputation beyond reputeHumperdinkel has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Humperdinkel

Can both idea's and go for an AGV Stealth , just my 2 cents because i dont like either Arai or Shoei IMO they are $5 helmets hiding behind $800 badges

Daniel
AUSSIE PACKER

Humperdinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
Bikebiz

Bike: 09 FZ6n
Bikebiz is a jewel in the roughBikebiz is a jewel in the roughBikebiz is a jewel in the roughBikebiz is a jewel in the rough

I was in the exact same boat, and ended up with the Arai. No regrets. On Shoei's side is the 5-star SHARP safety rating, and the quick release cheek pads, but here's what I wrote about it in a brief comparison:

I'd narrowed my helmet search down to the Vector, the Shoei XR1100, or a Shark RSF3 (in terms of fit). The Arai had a more plush liner than the others, and the graphics were far brighter than the offerings of the other two.

After using it solidly now for a few weeks, I'm extremely happy. It's light, quiet, and I'm loving the ratchet-free visor. You can open it a little, or a lot, and it just holds there. Then at the lights if you have it open, then take off and need to close it, just a flick of the finger and it's all the way down. Much easier than pushing through the ratchet.

The anti-fog lens is quite good. I needed a fog-free lens on my previous Shark, but this one seems far more resilient to fog in the mornings.

Visor changing is easy (contrary to what some will say) - although I've owned Arais before so am used to it. But once you get the hang of it, it's faster than most systems.

I'd highly recommend this helmet if the fit suits you.
Bikebiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 05:11 AM   #9
CCHOUSEKY
Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic

Bike: '09 FZ1
CCHOUSEKY is a splendid one to beholdCCHOUSEKY is a splendid one to beholdCCHOUSEKY is a splendid one to beholdCCHOUSEKY is a splendid one to beholdCCHOUSEKY is a splendid one to beholdCCHOUSEKY is a splendid one to beholdCCHOUSEKY is a splendid one to beholdCCHOUSEKY is a splendid one to behold

I've got a RF-1000 and a X-11 (my favorite helmet, ever), but yesterday I got the chance to finally try on an Arai Vector. One of the local shops had one in and they are the only ones that are an Arai dealer in my area (and they don't carry much to begin with).

All I can say is...WOW. What a comfortable and great-fitting helmet! I couldn't believe it. Though the shield mechanism could use some work, I loved how it doesn't have detents and just slides up and down. I'm DEFINITELY looking into an Arai as my next helmet.

"Sometimes the gene pool needs chlorine, and sometimes the chlorine comes in the form of asphalt."
CCHOUSEKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 06:28 AM   #10
Kazza
Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar

Bike: 08 FZ6N Competition White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Thanked 9,355 Times in 4,682 Posts
Kazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond reputeKazza has a reputation beyond repute
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I've always had AGV, but have moved to the Shoei XR-1000. Mike has the X-11 - loves it but is probably looking at a new helmet soon. He will probably get the X-12 next. He's had AGV, Arai, etc - Arai and Shoei were definately the best.

Scorpion CF Cans; Ohlins rear shock; Ottimoto rear sets; Powerbronze belly pan; CF heel plates; Woodcraft sliders; Radguard; Clear indicators/tail-light; Red anodised oil cap, clutch adjuster & piston style valve caps; D3-Components FE; Yamaha dark smoke screen & Topbox; Rizoma black bars, red rear fluid reservoir, & bar ends; Pazzo std levers; Oxford heated grips; 15T sprocket; 12V power outlet; Healtech gear indicator & speedo healer; PCIII

#58 RIP Sic
Kazza is offline   Reply With Quote