Is there any way to make the FZ6 throttle less twitchy/snatchy in 1st/2nd?

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
You know when you've rolled off the throttle in 1st or 2nd and are in decel, but then roll the throttle back on, the bike kinda jumps/lurches? Is there anything that can be done to mitigate this? Power Commander maybe? Just kind of annoying, especially when going through the twisties, it's a bit unsettling. Adjusting free play in throttle cables doesn't seem to change this. My throttle cables are also brand new.

Any tips?

Tuffy1982

Reaction score
Visit site
You know when you've rolled off the throttle in 1st or 2nd and are in decel, but then roll the throttle back on, the bike kinda jumps/lurches? Is there anything that can be done to mitigate this? Power Commander maybe? Just kind of annoying, especially when going through the twisties, it's a bit unsettling. Adjusting free play in throttle cables doesn't seem to change this. My throttle cables are also brand new.

Any tips?

Not sure what else might work but just changed the sprockets to a -1/+1 and it changed all that twitchiness in the throttle. More low end torque, less top speed, and lower gas mileage, but no twitchiness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure what else might work but just changed the sprockets to a -1/+1 and it changed all that twitchiness in the throttle. More low end torque, less top speed, and lower gas mileage, but no twitchiness.

I did -1 up front but stock in rear

Tuffy1982

Reaction score
Visit site
If you went one up in front it probably even made it worse than stock, based on my understanding of the calculations and the results of each tooth up or down.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Make sure your chain sad is correct. The more sag the more you'll feel the ON from OFF kick. Just don't make it too tight (stay within recommended limits).
G2 Throttle Tamer works. https://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-tamer-throttle-tube/

This came on my V-Strom (also known for twitchy throttle, but not nearly as bad as FZ6). It greatly smooths things out in the initial part of roll-on, but it's not for everyone.
I didn't like that it sort of made the bike feel slow. Requires quite a bit of a twist to really get into the throttle.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
JM2C but you fix the throttle response, you fix the problem.
Fuel controller and a good map.
Advance the ignition.
Free up the exhaust.

All is well. No issues w snatchy throttle. See sig and/or do search on the topic. Good luck.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As for the sprocket change, getting the engine above 5k will reduce a lot of this. But thats only good for a few situations.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Simplest fix is to practice smooth throttle rolling. It took me a few weeks but once your right hand adjusts the FZ6 can roll as smooth as anything.

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
G2 Throttle Tamer works. https://www.g2ergo.com/store/g2-street-tamer-throttle-tube/

This came on my V-Strom (also known for twitchy throttle, but not nearly as bad as FZ6). It greatly smooths things out in the initial part of roll-on, but it's not for everyone.
I didn't like that it sort of made the bike feel slow. Requires quite a bit of a twist to really get into the throttle.
Tried the G2 tamer for a week, HATED it, the bike seemed to loose 30% of the power (completely subjective feeling). I only kept it on for as long as a week because I wanted to give it a chance but didn't like it.

It hepled with the roll-on but I wanted my bike back!

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Tried the G2 tamer for a week, HATED it, the bike seemed to loose 30% of the power (completely subjective feeling). I only kept it on for as long as a week because I wanted to give it a chance but didn't like it.

It hepled with the roll-on but I wanted my bike back!

+1. I didn't hate it, but it definitely made the bike feel dull.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
+1. I didn't hate it, but it definitely made the bike feel dull.

Motion pro makes some eccentric throttle tubes with variable profiles. Eccentric tube with 150° turn instead of 180° might be goldilocks?

Several people have noted that flashing the ECU or using a fuel controller can smooth out the on/off response, but those options are $300+ each, which for me feels excessive.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
but those options are $300+ each, which for me feels excessive.

If not insane, if that is the only purpose for going that route! Of course there are other benefits, but honestly, while FZ6 roll-on wasn't very smooth, it wasn't awful either. With enough seat time, anyone can get used to it.
If you really wanna experience crazy-jerky throttle, try the first model year for FZ-09.. THAT one was special!

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
My chain is right in the middle of specs, I think it's somewhere around 45-50mm of slack. I like the idea of a quick throttle - I wonder if I can have my cake and eat it too using a fuel controller with the quick throttle?

Definitely temped to get a fuel controller, any recommendations that won't hurt the wallet too bad? I see that PC now offers a PCFC (essentially a rebranded JuiceBox from what I can tell), would that suffice? Also - would I need a dyno tune? Or would their pre-made maps fix the throttle issue?

Last edited:

MattR302

Awesomeness, Inc.
Reaction score
Visit site
Simplest fix is to practice smooth throttle rolling. It took me a few weeks but once your right hand adjusts the FZ6 can roll as smooth as anything.

A couple years I had a ratty-looking 1999 CBR600 as a track bike. The carburetors on that bike were soooo smooth, but always took it for granted until every Monday morning after a track weekend when I rode my FZ6 to work. Huge difference in rolling on the throttle on both, the CBR was so much more pleasant.

I installed a G2 throttle tamer and took the slack out of the throttle cable on the FZ6 and it seemed to help a bit. I think I have the throttle tamer still, I might consider selling it

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
A couple years I had a ratty-looking 1999 CBR600 as a track bike. The carburetors on that bike were soooo smooth, but always took it for granted until every Monday morning after a track weekend when I rode my FZ6 to work. Huge difference in rolling on the throttle on both, the CBR was so much more pleasant.

I installed a G2 throttle tamer and took the slack out of the throttle cable on the FZ6 and it seemed to help a bit. I think I have the throttle tamer still, I might consider selling it

I would maybe be interested

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

Of course some bike are smoother than others, but the FZ6 while far from the smoothest, when in proper mechanical shape isn't THAT bad. It DOES NOT need any "throttle tamer" or any other BS, otherwise the forums would be overflowing with topics like this one. I remember doing a ride on a Harley some years ago- that POS was so choppy that at slow speeds it felt like it had square wheels. Accelerating at low speeds without slipping the clutch felt like the bike wanted to throw you off.

However, after a while one should be able to adapt to almost anything. If after a few months one still can't smoothly accelerate a properly working FZ6 with no mechanical issues, maybe they should make an honest skill assessment and think about what would be needed for self improvement, rather than what to change on the bike. Even on the aforementioned Harley most people got used and rode smoothly. Surely a new bike with ride by wire set on rain or standard mode will give an huge perceived improvement but that is just technology masking bad habits.

And it's likely not only the throttle, a choppy right hand will 99% also chop the brake and the steering. I know it's hard on the ego to admit not being Rossi, but this is just an anonymous internet forum where nobody has anything to gain or lose. Heck, I can be the first one to admit that my skills are far from ideal (barely above "sucks"), if it makes anyone feel better. But in the end, it's your skin on the line, either you decide to band-aid poor technique or to actually improve it.

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Of course some bike are smoother than others, but the FZ6 while far from the smoothest, when in proper mechanical shape isn't THAT bad. It DOES NOT need any "throttle tamer" or any other BS, otherwise the forums would be overflowing with topics like this one. I remember doing a ride on a Harley some years ago- that POS was so choppy that at slow speeds it felt like it had square wheels. Accelerating at low speeds without slipping the clutch felt like the bike wanted to throw you off.

However, after a while one should be able to adapt to almost anything. If after a few months one still can't smoothly accelerate a properly working FZ6 with no mechanical issues, maybe they should make an honest skill assessment and think about what would be needed for self improvement, rather than what to change on the bike. Even on the aforementioned Harley most people got used and rode smoothly. Surely a new bike with ride by wire set on rain or standard mode will give an huge perceived improvement but that is just technology masking bad habits.

And it's likely not only the throttle, a choppy right hand will 99% also chop the brake and the steering. I know it's hard on the ego to admit not being Rossi, but this is just an anonymous internet forum where nobody has anything to gain or lose. Heck, I can be the first one to admit that my skills are far from ideal (barely above "sucks"), if it makes anyone feel better. But in the end, it's your skin on the line, either you decide to band-aid poor technique or to actually improve it.

For sure. I can definitely ride the FZ6 in a smooth manner, it's not like it happens all the time. Though if I don't finesse the throttle in a low-speed turn/hairpin, it will gladly put on a show for me. Nothing dangerous or scary, just annoying.

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site

I gotta agree, there are plenty of areas I can work, on with throttle/clutch management now pretty much something I am happy with. Slow turns and balance; personally I find 270 degree around tight roundabouts a pain but I work at them and now not daunted!
Practice Practice Practice, No-one is above learning and improving- Have a look at the way Kenny (Vegasrider) gets around an obstacle track, he didnt learn to do that overnite! and its a joy to watch him compete!

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just installed a PCFC and am trying to reduce or eliminate the throttle snatch. So far added 5% fueling to 0 and 5% throttle openings from 3000 rpm to readline. Tough to tell objectively if it made a difference. My next plan is to put my scope on a fuel injector connection to see if the injectors open up a bit or if they are truly shut off on decel. I do a lot of ecu tuning on my subaru and how i wish there was some open source software to reflash the bikes ecu.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Slow turns and balance; personally I find 270 degree around tight roundabouts a pain but I work at them and now !

Try to grip the bike with your legs as much as possible and keep the arms as soft as possible, while all the time keeping the head up with the eyes where you want to get, and the throttle as smooth and constant as possible. If it's extremely tight radius, also drag the rear brake a little.

Thing is, the bike is better than us at anything. 75% is just overcoming our (counterproductive) "survival" instincts and mental limitations (fighting the bike, being too tight, fearing leaning, target fixation, doing unneeded "corrections", etc).