2007 FZ6 Restoration from Storage Help

toranomon

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I bought a 2007 Yamaha FZ6 brand new in 2007 when I was in college. Drove it for about 900 miles and respected all of the break-in period rules. I ended up having to move after I graduated in 2008 and couldn't keep the bike and sold it to my father who put it in his garage. For a while, he would start the bike every 2-3 months and take it around the block, but for the last few years he starts it maybe twice a year.

It's been over 10 years and the bike is still basically new -- about 920 miles or so. My father is thinking of selling it back to me or someone else and I am wondering what do I need to do to ensure the bike is safe to drive and in good mechanical condition. Obviously, the engine is still practically new and was babied, but I'm worried that the tires on it are now 11 years old and might be unsafe, and that the same tank of gas has been in there for atleast 5-7 years, clutch and oil and all other fluids are original from 10 years ago. The bike does start and run ok.

Am I being paranoid? Or is there some maintenance I should do to make it ready to be a daily driver again after 10 years of sitting?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Heck no, I'd jump on it!!

Change the tires, dump the fuel (I'd pull the tank-flip it upside down to fully dump it), change all the fluids, lube the chain.

Also, inspect inside the fuel tank for RUST. Depending on conditions, it may be rusted up INSIDE. If you see any rust, while the tank is off, pull the fuel pump and check for debris (pump and tank). Clean accordingly.

A fuel pump filter clogged up:

Last edited:

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Yep. Check for tank rust, but if that's okay, change all the fluids, slap some new tires on it, clean/lube the chain and you're good to go.