Vegas Mechanics

Mide24

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Guys,

I apologize if there is another thread about this, I used the search and was unable to find anything.

Returning rider from Vegas.

I recently bought a 2008 fz6 and so far, I'm loving it.
From what I've read on here and the videos I watched, it sounds like my CCT is slowly dying on me. I don't have the tools to do it myself and a shop here in Vegas quoted me $850+ for valve adjustment and CCT change. It seems a little too high for my taste and i was wondering if anyone knows a reliable mechanic in the vegas area who could help me out?
Bike has about 26000 miles on it and aside from regular maintenance, nothing else has been done.
Any help is appreciated.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike's first valve lash check is probably it's most important. It will likely stay pretty close to spec for the rest of it's days after the first check and adjustment

VEGASRIDER may know someone in that area as he used to live and ride there.
[MENTION=83]VEGASRIDER[/MENTION] how about it Kenny?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The bike's first valve lash check is probably it's most important. It will likely stay pretty close to spec for the rest of it's days after the first check and adjustment

VEGASRIDER may know someone in that area as he used to live and ride there.
@VEGASRIDER how about it Kenny?

When I lived in Vegas, I had my bike serviced exclusively at Racer's Edge. Service ranged from tire replacement, fork springs, steering head replacements, etc. It's an independent shop and I believe Dale, the owner is a track instructor for Yamaha. I haven't lived there since 2012 so not sure if the same tech is still there but worth giving them a shot. Conveniently located right between Spring Mt & DI, just west of I-15.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rac...e..69i57l2.12453j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Or try reaching out to the local forum that I still check in from time to time. They would be much more knowledgeable considering that they live and ride there. You might even find the same thread, in fact I'm sure. Some forum members may even offer to work on your bike. I had my fork seals replaced by "That Guy", I believe Justin was his name. At the least, you should join, great bunch of guys. Tell then Kenny AKA "Vegasrider" sent ya. Be careful riding, I consider Vegas as one of the most challenging cities to ride due to the crazy 24/7 traffic which includes locals to tourist who don't know where they are goin.

http://scsportbikes.org/

Mide24

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks a lot Kenny,
I will check it out.
And yes, Vegas is very challenging to ride, which is why i try to stay on the outer rim. I live in the northwest, so 215, Ann and anything north of that is usually my play ground.

Mide24

Reaction score
Visit site
When I lived in Vegas, I had my bike serviced exclusively at Racer's Edge. Service ranged from tire replacement, fork springs, steering head replacements, etc. It's an independent shop and I believe Dale, the owner is a track instructor for Yamaha. I haven't lived there since 2012 so not sure if the same tech is still there but worth giving them a shot. Conveniently located right between Spring Mt & DI, just west of I-15.

https://www.google.com/search?q=rac...e..69i57l2.12453j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Or try reaching out to the local forum that I still check in from time to time. They would be much more knowledgeable considering that they live and ride there. You might even find the same thread, in fact I'm sure. Some forum members may even offer to work on your bike. I had my fork seals replaced by "That Guy", I believe Justin was his name. At the least, you should join, great bunch of guys. Tell then Kenny AKA "Vegasrider" sent ya. Be careful riding, I consider Vegas as one of the most challenging cities to ride due to the crazy 24/7 traffic which includes locals to tourist who don't know where they are goin.

Sin City Sportbikes Official Website | Las Vegas Motorcycle Riders Forum

Kenny,

Thanks again, Arson (SCS Pres.) recommended the same shops. BTW, he says Hi and they miss you over there/down here.

One more thing, have you had any luck finding a manual CCT? Just curious if I should get one...?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is your engine ticking? It came to a point my bike would die and never start again. I had a major issue with my CCT and I also ended up with a stretched cam chain. Had to get all the parts replaced and had my valves checked at the same time and had my plugs replaced too, I think I paid around $700 with the local dealership in Idaho, but that was 6 years ago. I have over 106k miles on my bike, and my engine sounds and runs great!

Mide24

Reaction score
Visit site
I think I just have the "normal" injector ticking...other than that it's just a lot of vibrations (partially because of the stupid aftermarket exhaust the previous owner put on), and the clicking noise from the right side of the engine.
I messaged Steve at Dynotech and will contact Dave today.
700 to get all of that done? Where do I have to sign?!
I already replaced the spark plugs and I was going to check the throttle body when the CCT came around and took the little funds I had...
I'll keep you in the loop Kenny.
And BTW, 106000???? Seriously? That is incredible..

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Is your engine ticking? It came to a point my bike would die and never start again. I had a major issue with my CCT and I also ended up with a stretched cam chain. Had to get all the parts replaced and had my valves checked at the same time and had my plugs replaced too, I think I paid around $700 with the local dealership in Idaho, but that was 6 years ago. I have over 106k miles on my bike, and my engine sounds and runs great!
I remember that time. At first you lost your crankshaft position sensor because your cam chain had so much play it whipped the CPS to death! Lol: I think you had to replace you cam chain, cam chain guides, CPS, cam chain tensioner and get your valve lash correct.
Your FZ6 is a warrior horse and may even be the highest mileage FZ6 in history.
Valve tick should not be the indicator you wait for before you service your valve train. When the valve lash gets smaller you will not notice the damage to valves until it's too late. Best to get your first valve lash check done close to the recommended mileage interval.

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Mide24

Reaction score
Visit site
Motogiro: I am not waiting for any more noises, I think the noise I have now is the CCT, but not entirely sure and I am not going to wait any longer to get the valves adjusted/checked. I am lucky enough to have a car too, so the bike has been parked in my garage for the past 4 days :(

Kenny: I talked to both, Dale and Steve and both of them are amazing and very knowledgeable. I think Dale will be a little cheaper (Waiting on a quote) but I'm sure I can't go wrong either way. Again, thanks a lot.

Mide24

Reaction score
Visit site

Sin City Sportbikes Official Website | Las Vegas Motorcycle Riders Forum

Kenny:

I just got my bike back from Dale. What an amazing guy, clean and fast work, and he did the work for less than $500.
Valves were well within range, he said some of them were a bit loose actually. He put in a new CCT, checked the chain and sprockets and checked the compression. Everything is good to go. You have no idea how happy I am right about now
I will see him again in about 2000 miles for scheduled maintenance.

Thanks again Kenny. Next time you're back in Vegas I'll invite you for a beer, or whatever your drink of choice may be.