Splicing a relay into licence plate light

sensory_tentacles

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys

Darren here, first time forum poster.

Bike's a Fz6n 2007 and I'm down in Australia.

Just wondering which of these licence plate light wires (blue or black - seen on my middle finger in the third pic) I should use to splice for my accessories relay. I'll splice it higher up the loom so it's protected under the seat, not in the cowling (inside the loom was wet :( )

The setup will be :
Engine on source (licence plate light) to relay to fuze box, with power from the battery.

Also should the earth from the accessories circuit go back to the battery negative terminal or someplace on the bike frame?

Thanks!!
Darren
ojDDHM7.jpg
hcQyXH4.jpg
DSbpltK.jpg
8mfKOvY.jpg

Last edited:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys

Darren here, first time forum poster.

Bike's a Fz6n 2007 and I'm down in Australia.

Just wondering which of these licence plate light wires (blue or black - seen on my middle finger in the third pic) I should use to splice for my accessories relay. I'll splice it higher up the loom so it's protected under the seat, not in the cowling (inside the loom was wet :( )

The setup will be :
Engine on source (licence plate light) to relay to fuze box, with power from the battery.

Also should the earth from the accessories circuit go back to the battery negative terminal or someplace on the bike frame?

Thanks!!
Darren
View attachment 68655
View attachment 68652
View attachment 68653
View attachment 68654
I answered a pm you sent to me yesterday. If you do a search on the forum you can find threads under grip relay or accessory relay. I think most use the red with white tracer wire at the starter relay located on top of the battery case. This wire will be more protected from the elements and physically closer to where you might mount your relay a fuse block assembly.

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Last edited:

sensory_tentacles

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. Yep Clif saw that and cheers for the tip - I didn't want to mess with the starter relay though in case my splice was bad. I'd rather the light go out :)

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks guys. Yep Clif saw that and cheers for the tip - I didn't want to mess with the starter relay though in case my splice was bad. I'd rather the light go out :)
Choosing the light failure over the starter failure is debatable... Lol. You should have the skill set or have someone with the skill set complete the job. Your tail lamp may be more important..... :)

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Choosing the light failure over the starter failure is debatable... Lol. You should have the skill set or have someone with the skill set complete the job. Your tail lamp may be more important..... :)

So my 2 cents. I used a Fuzeblocks FZ-1 to add accessories to my FZ6. Hot and ground to the battery, tap the headlight wire for switched power, and you get 6 hot and 6 ground connections. The hots can easily be configured for always on or switched and each tap is individually fused. Neat, organized and safe. Better than tapping into the original wiring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So my 2 cents. I used a Fuzeblocks FZ-1 to add accessories to my FZ6. Hot and ground to the battery, tap the headlight wire for switched power, and you get 6 hot and 6 ground connections. The hots can easily be configured for always on or switched and each tap is individually fused. Neat, organized and safe. Better than tapping into the original wiring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I believe he's going to use a slave relay to pass current from the battery to a fuse block assembly. The slave relay coil source voltage is a very low amount of current so you basically have a few points to pick off the keyed signal.

The headlamp is an excellent source to use as a relay control in that it will only be active after the engine has started. This gives a little more available current to start the motor. :rockon:
That FZ-1 unit is really trick!

Last edited:

agf

Go Naked- Its liberating
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Cliff is that headlight wire a green wire or have i misread the schematic?
I still havnt put my extra LED light on the bike- after my heart by-pass surgery I still cant spend a lot of time bent over and I don’t think I’ll be riding for another 3–4 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Cliff is that headlight wire a green wire or have i misread the schematic?
I still havnt put my extra LED light on the bike- after my heart by-pass surgery I still cant spend a lot of time bent over and I don’t think I’ll be riding for another 3–4 weeks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it should be a green with a yellow tracer but it may be a solid green wire on an OEM naked bike. The US FZ6 with the fairing uses a green with yellow tracer and a stock non modded headlight circuit stays active whether it's high or low beam. On a head light modded bike or euro/down under OEM naked that low beam shuts off during high beam operation so power to your accessories circuit will be dropped. There is a way to still use the headlight circuit as the source and keep it active using diodes and a capacitor...

Last edited: