Riding above ~7K

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi there,

Newish rider (1 year, 10k miles) with a 05 FZ6 as my first bike. I remember reading early on when I was first deciding about getting this bike as my first bike about something keeping it under 7-8K otherwise she gets crazy. It's been a year and I feel comfortable with the bike thus far but that rule has stuck with me as a warning but I never knew exactly what that means. What exactly happens when you get in the higher RPMs? Does it matter what gear? It has always felt so naturally to shift at the ~7K mark, especially once I shifted to clutchless shifts the thought of riding above that range seems....odd?

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
At 7-8K the FZ6 is just getting going really good. (For perspective about the next sentence, I have a mental "10,11,12 rule"; i.e., in 4th gear multiply the rpms by 10 to get mph, in 5th gear multiply rpms by 11 to get mph, and in 6th gear multiply rpms by 12 to get mph. I seldom watch the speedometer. So if I'm in 6th gear doing 7K rpms, that's roughly 85 mph. In my mind, if you really need to pass someone on a two lane road, and you're in 6th gear at 60 mph, that's only about 5K rpms. You'd really need to downshift at least two gears to get going rapidly, and a third downshift is often preferable for a short passing zone.) So get out on the open road and try running thru the gears, from the bottom gear, shifting at 12,500 rpms or so. By the time you hit those rpms in 4th gear you'll be going more than a ton. You'll have a whole new perspective about your bike! Personally, my used 2007 FZ6 was inexpensive to buy, and the cheapest bike I've ever had to insure - liability and comprehensive only. So I ride it like I stole it quite a bit - and it just keeps on ticking. (I'm 71 and a senior rider, but I do all the necessary maintenance, I ride ATGATT and I don't ever do wheelies intentionally.)

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just to add to the above, FIRST and second gears @WOT will usually wheelie just a little (no steering) from a rolling start.

Just be cautious at that RPM /gear @WOT until you get used to it..

As noted, the bike will get to speed quickly.

Second gear with stock gearing, WOT, is about 85 MPH, which gets there REAL quick..

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 has an incredibly wide rev range. After 7-8k rpms is where the engine begins to make good power. If you have not explored that rev range do to inexperience, then you have proven that you have the maturity to push the bike a little harder.

Jim, at 55 I thought that I was the old man on this forum...I'm glad to see that's not the case.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The FZ6 has an incredibly wide rev range. After 7-8k rpms is where the engine begins to make good power. If you have not explored that rev range do to inexperience, then you have proven that you have the maturity to push the bike a little harder.

Jim, at 55 I thought that I was the old man on this forum...I'm glad to see that's not the case.
Well said Gary. And as I near the end of my 60th year, I may have taken second place. [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
That's funny, I find no reason whatsoever to go above 7K OK, maybe 8K every now and then. What's the point? 8K it starts to vibrate. I went up one tooth on the CS sprocket and shucks 7K is over a REAL 80MPH. I also lug down to 2K in 2nd, Of course I've been riding 54 years but still below 7K I,m still a rocket ship!

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my 07 new the shop said don't take it above 7 for the first 600 miles.

I made it about 200 miles before the devil made me do it. 7K is just where the bike wakes up.

Go out on a lonely road and begin to play with it in the upper rpm's using the lower gears or better yet do a track day with riding instruction. You'll be a better rider than you could ever learn on the street and you won't be sub 7 on the track for very long :)

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
Just to add to the above, FIRST and second gears @WOT will usually wheelie just a little (no steering) from a rolling start.

Just be cautious at that RPM /gear @WOT until you get used to it..

As noted, the bike will get to speed quickly.

Second gear with stock gearing, WOT, is about 85 MPH, which gets there REAL quick..

WOT?

What does stand for?

2007Fizzer

Senior rider
Reaction score
Visit site
WOT = Wide Open Throttle. And I think you'll find that at WOT, above 7K rpms, you won't feel a whole lot of vibration - you'll simply be hanging on for dear life! At 3K or 4K around town, your bike is a 25 hp turtle. At 6K to 7K, your bike is making maybe 50 hp. But when you hit 10K or 11K rpms the beast begins to show itself. And at that point you'd better grab the pegs and bars and squeeze the tank, because that's where the real horsepower jumps out. Best not to be laid over when that happens, or things go sideways pretty fast. Don't ask me how I know that. And "gnyce", (sing along) "I don't wanna grow up, I'm a Toys 'r Us kid......."

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Over a decade since it's introduction, the FZ6 is still quite a lot of motorcycle in an inexpensive package. The engine is the heart of the package making nearly 100 hp at 12,000 rpm and it's torque peek (~45) happening at 10,000 rpm. Clearly this engine needs to spin to make power. Given it's weight of 425/450 (dry/wet) this bike still holds its own when compared to the current crop of mid-displacement, standard street bikes.

The current trend in the mid-displacement category is towards twins (such as Yamaha's FZ07, Kawasaki 650, Honda CB650F) do to the "potential" for light weight (the FZ07 is light) and the low cost to manufacture. The twins make a lot less hp then the FZ6 (in the range of 65-80hp) and similar torque. However they occur at much lower rpms; in the 9,000 range for hp and 6,000 range for torque. The SV650 is a better handling bike and feels puny compared to the FZ6, but the FZ6 has a better ride and leaves the SV for dead at WOT - once the tach gets past 7,000 rpm.

Johnson, go ahead and experiment with higher rpms. But you might want to wait until spring for a full on blast given that your tires just aren't going to warm up to their full potential in 40 degree weather.

I prefer the the bi-polar personality of the FZ6, calm and mild-mannered below 7,000 rpms and flat-out angry above 10k. It's taken me a while to like this bike, but with proper suspension work and gel seat I have grown fond of this machine.

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a bit generous with the HP. More like 85-90 with after market pipes and low 40lbs of torque. MFG's like to bump up the numbers on most all bikes Still plenty to have some fun above 7K.

I replaced my FZ6 with a well tuned and opened up to breathe 08 FZ1 that dyno'd close to 140hp at the rear wheel. That was a quick bike but not nearly as much fun to ride as my 110hp KTM 990 Supermoto. Sometimes it's the bike more than the total hp.

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site
Over a decade since it's introduction, the FZ6 is still quite a lot of motorcycle in an inexpensive package. The engine is the heart of the package making nearly 100 hp at 12,000 rpm and it's torque peek (~45) happening at 10,000 rpm. Clearly this engine needs to spin to make power. Given it's weight of 425/450 (dry/wet) this bike still holds its own when compared to the current crop of mid-displacement, standard street bikes.

The current trend in the mid-displacement category is towards twins (such as Yamaha's FZ07, Kawasaki 650, Honda CB650F) do to the "potential" for light weight (the FZ07 is light) and the low cost to manufacture. The twins make a lot less hp then the FZ6 (in the range of 65-80hp) and similar torque. However they occur at much lower rpms; in the 9,000 range for hp and 6,000 range for torque. The SV650 is a better handling bike and feels puny compared to the FZ6, but the FZ6 has a better ride and leaves the SV for dead at WOT - once the tach gets past 7,000 rpm.

Johnson, go ahead and experiment with higher rpms. But you might want to wait until spring for a full on blast given that your tires just aren't going to warm up to their full potential in 40 degree weather.

I prefer the the bi-polar personality of the FZ6, calm and mild-mannered below 7,000 rpms and flat-out angry above 10k. It's taken me a while to like this bike, but with proper suspension work and gel seat I have grown fond of this machine.

Looking forward to pushing it a bit. Other then waiting for spring any other rules I should know? I can do this in all gears?

Not sure why it took me so long, I guess just a creature of habit and that's how I learned to ride the bike. Better late then never I suppose.

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Looking forward to pushing it a bit. Other then waiting for spring any other rules I should know? I can do this in all gears?

Not sure why it took me so long, I guess just a creature of habit and that's how I learned to ride the bike. Better late then never I suppose.

If you try to wring it out in all gears you will either get a ticket or spend your time riding trying to avoid the next obstacle. I would suggest given the proper environment accelerating out close to the redline in first gear. It will give you perspective of the engine performance and let you experience where the torque curve falls off and the engine is just experiencing winding out with no increase in performance. The art is to find the sweet spot where the acceleration can be experienced and appreciated as you move through the gears. Bottom line is to enjoy your riding experience, but be safe. :thumbup:

Johnson

Reaction score
Visit site

Also heard this difference between the inline 4s vs the V-twins when I was first looking at bikes. Just curious what are your thoughts on the tripples? Are they really the best of both worlds?

Well I've explored the mild-manndered side thus far and looking forward to experiencing the other side.