Hello and question about 2006 FZ6

Hypoflow

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Im new to the forum from Toronto Ontario! Im currently riding a Kawasaki ex500 but am looking at getting an FZ6 and hope you all could share some of your knowledge about these amazing machines. Im going to go look at a 2006 model with 5000kms on it. Is there anything in particular I should look out for besides the usual stuff you would check on any bike?? From what I've seen so far these bikes are pretty bulletproof. Thanks!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
As you have previous riding experience ( and perhaps maintenance experience), you know the basic's.

If the bike has been sitting for awhile, (especially with a partially full tank, fuel not stabilized), look for rust
in the fuel tank (not good). Besides the potential rust, it'd clog up the fuel pump...

If it's a daily rider (for the season), check maintenance records, etc. Should idle smooth and
scream up to 14,000 without issue...

Obviously, any mods by the present owner, check how well they were installed, and basically how well the bike was
taken care of.

Feel free to post some pic's here, may help.

Lastly, if it's a "faired" bike, and it's been dropped, you'll be able to see it while on the center stand, with you looking forward.
You'll notice the nose is crooked, space between the fairing and tank is closer on one side. Nothing that can't be repaired
but an easily $600 parts bill alone...

Good luck and post back how it goes...

Hypoflow

Reaction score
Visit site
Bike looks pretty stock but seems to have been sitting most of its life, the owner said it has only been taken out for a ride once this summer and considering they are the original owner I feel most summers have gone that way.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's been sitting that much, check for signs of neglect like the aforementioned gas tank rust, steering and wheel bearings, chain & sprockets. You should probably just assume that the tires need replaced. Check brakes and fork seals. It's fine if they need maintenance, but any of this stuff being a bit off should lower your negotiated price.

If you have the VIN you can check on Yamaha's website to see if the one factory recall for the S1 bikes was taken care of (front sprocket retaining bolt & washer).

Gary in NJ

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This isn't the best bike selling season, but it is the best buying season. Late fall is where the bargains are. I've owned about 20 bikes over the years and I probably purchased 15 of them in November & December.

The seller probably wants this bike gone so he can have some holiday money. With that in mind, take note of everything that needs to be done to make the bike look like a vehicle with 5,000km should - and make your offer. Have cash in hand and be ready to ride it home.

gbose

Reaction score
Visit site
5000 Kms is brand new!! do check the items mentioned by others. You probably want to change all fluids (oil, coolant) and lube the chain.

Enjoy your new bike -- the FZ6 is great!

swedespeed

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is the website, FYI

https://www.yamaha-dealers.com/public/web/techpubs/nhtsaPublications.html

On mine, I see this. So does this mean I can go in for a Throttle Position Sensor exchange at a Yamaha dealer???

vBTkz9y.jpg

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That kind of makes it look like they replaced the TPS but just coded it weirdly. 3rd line says it was replaced . . .