Error Code 33 - Replace ECU?

hayy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi gents

Posting here for the first time because my 2007 FZ6-S2 started showing error code 33 and it has been tricky to resolve.

Symptoms / Causes:
I'm still able to start my bike and ride. However only able to ride distances below 12 - 14km. If I ride any distance beyond 12 to 14km, bike loses power and eventually comes to a stall with Error Code 33. I'm able to start riding again by turning off the ignition, wait for a couple of minutes (in my noob idea, to let the engine + electricals cool down), re-start the engine. I would then be able to ride perhaps 3 to 5km before Error Code 33 shows up again.

It is difficult to troubleshoot because I had to ride the distance in order for the error code to surface.

--- so the first fix was to replace ignition coils 1 and 4, but Error Code 33 still shows up (what a waste of money) - so mechanic says it's probably the ECU that is faulty.

Anyone here has experienced such a scenario before, and is it really the ECU that is faulty? I still can ride..just short distances... is it possible that ECU will malfunction because of the heat from the engine?

Really appreciate it if someone could give me some advise...

Curve ball: I do not have the red key with me...i.e. if I replace the ECU.. I will need to replace the entire lockset + fuel cap + the whole lot...FML...:(

Please help!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to this great forum!

Yes. It could be a thermal intermittent where a component fails at a specific temperature range but.... Make sure you check the plug and pins at the ECU. Each coil is operated by the ECU and we've seen pins on the ECU or plug fail.

hayy

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you gents for your replies!

Yes we did check the connections, and pins when changing the ignition coils..but error 33 still showed, hence deduced that its the ECU that is f*cked...

Anyways, so I sent my bike to a locksmith to get a masterkey done up..but Mr Locksmith is telling me he can't find the chip in the ignition barrel...

Anyone knows where the chip is?

He assumed the chip was here:
WhatsApp Image 2017-10-07 at 14.54.14.jpeg

But when he opened my ignition barrel up....
WhatsApp Image 2017-10-24 at 11.35.00.jpg
WhatsApp Image 2017-10-24 at 11.35.26.jpg

hun7ter

Reaction score
Visit site
Was ecu really the culprit? Having the exact same issues as you. For me the problems start around 10-12km into the ride. Was really hoping it isn't the ecu...

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Was ecu really the culprit? Having the exact same issues as you. For me the problems start around 10-12km into the ride. Was really hoping it isn't the ecu...

Have you swapped the coils as @Gary in NJ recommended in the other thread you posted the problem in? Basic troubleshooting step. Make the swap and if the problem moves, it is a bad coil. If not it is the ECU and/or wiring.

Make the swap and let us know what the results are.