Broke SIDE STAND!!!!

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Title says it all.

Ride up to Wally World for supplies.

Go to get on the bike (engine is off) to leave,I'm geared up.

Left foot on left peg, swing right leg partially over,

OVER and off to the left side BOTH I and the bike go. WTF????

I know the side stand was down. Bike was on a slight incline in MY FAVOR.

Get the bike up, put it on the CC. The kick stand (side stand), is dangling there. Easily twist the
rest off, save the spring, etc.

The pic's tell it all. Obviously had been cracking for sometime.
The last pic shows some rubbing on the pavement from hard left leans (probably irrelevant)

Think I'm a first with this... ( and NO fat jokes :( , I'm about 210lbs ) and that metal
isn't very thick at all

Scruffed the mirror, end weight and obviously the stand. $152.00 parts just ordered..

(I'll have a very, very lightly scuffed left mirror and end weight for sale shortly if interested)..

*BTW, try getting off your bike WITHOUT A SIDE STAND, it isn't easy....

Last edited:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting that you mount the bike stepping onto the left foot peg. I'd figure you're tall enough to swing your right leg over or through the seat. Or if you were ex-motors, you were use to mounting from the opposite side. Do you figure the failure was due to corrosion being that you're in a salt-marine environment?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Interesting that you mount the bike stepping onto the left foot peg. I'd figure you're tall enough to swing your right leg over or through the seat. Or if you were ex-motors, you were use to mounting from the opposite side. Do you figure the failure was due to corrosion being that you're in a salt-marine environment?

Every motorcycle I've ever owned (not the small bikes), I've always mounted from the left, kick stand down (FJR, Goldwing, cop Harley, my old 2 Harleys, etc).

I'm about 5'8" and it's simply easier to stand on the peg, gives you another 10" or so you don't have to swing your leg so high.

When letting a passenger mount, I put it on the kick stand (me on first), and let the stand do most of the "support".

I'm guessing it's mostly from mounting the bike this way (much more weight) is the main reason for the failure...

I do have to knock on wood, NO fairing damage, mole, tank, etc...

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Easily enough to re-enforce. Fish mouth both ends with the points not at the sides but to front and back, I think... The two halves do not have to be welded the full length. Any bicycle makers close to you?. I did this to my Triumph's center stand lifting lever to make it longer for more leverage. Maybe use the center stand more often?

FB400

Reaction score
Visit site
wow this is pretty F'd up. I keep gaining weight and wondered could my side stand fail when getting on the bike. I do have a Mig welder and could easily put splint reinforcements on it.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The break looks like its very fresh. No rust. I imagine there may have been some micro fracturing of late. Probably due more to brittle properties of the area in close proximity to the weld.

If the weld were cooled slower it may have survived the stress better.

Now I'm going to be leery although most all my mount/dismounting is not from the peg.

Good luck with the new one or maybe repair that one and get it sleeved in the area for additional strength?

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a MIG welder, arc welder, can gas weld (worked in a machine shop many moons ago).

Welding it isn't an issue. I've built / welded my own MC trailers for years (see below) and can lay down a bead...

Re no rust rust. The bike doesn't get ridden in the rain and rarely gets a bath as I ride only when dry outside (for pleasure).

That pic is exactly how it was (short of it dangling and I simply twisted and removed it)...

You would think they'd be some rust if it was a hairline crack over time, the original weld is fine...

Now the PO layed down the bike at speed (on both sides) prior to me buying it (original kick stand), is it possible
that compromised the tubing? You can see, there isn't much material there stock.

As for re-notching the tube and re-welding, I'd loose too much material and it'd tilt to far over, (I could do that for someone that has a lowered bike)....

I already ordered a new stand, mirror and bar end weight.

It lasted eight years (with me), I expect to get another eight, maybe more leg slinging from ground level and
definitely NOT relying on it fully, especially with a passenger.

After my last 0 MPH tip over (my fault and a small fortune to repair), I've been VERY careful and cognizant of the kickstand,
then this, jeezzz...

As for the CC, I only use it for chain cleaning/lube and when doing a "wipe down", (removing brake dust, crap from the wheels)

Glad I have that "Park and Move". Really handy with no side stand...

Last edited:

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
Should have looked more closely, broke at the top, no sleeve could fit there. Still, we all know now where the weakness is. There might be something to do to strengthen it. Ask a bicycle builder.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Well damn dude that blows!!! Upside is both of you are pretry well off for drop on these bikes.

Feeling how much it flexes and strains I strain it as little as possible. Even at that I never would have thought it would fail in that manor.

Be safe...

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Should have looked more closely, broke at the top, no sleeve could fit there. Still, we all know now where the weakness is. There might be something to do to strengthen it. Ask a bicycle builder.

I have a metal lathe and could internally sleeve it / weld it if it wasn't so close to the top....

Just a learning experience at this point (and some $ to fix).

Don't put VERY heavy weight on the FZ kick stand, there simply isn't much metal there..

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Kick stand is on back order from JAPAN, December is the expected delivery MONTH...:(

Well, I cleaned it up, "slugged it" and a couple of passes with the welder, (grind re-weld, spread the load some).

Welded it hot, burned thru parts of the stand (intentional) to make sure the slug was NOW part of the stand.

Goes on tomorrow for testing, (tie down's to the garage roof rafter to the handle bar-as a "safety net"-should it not hold, then full weight on it)

Some pic's:

An old axle cut down to about 3" (solid slug) and installed inside the top of the stand:

All parts assembled, with a magnet, ready for welding (welds shown are factory-just prepped):

Partially welded, burned all the way thru intentionally to make the slug functional (part of the stand-extra strength).

Fully welded, weld extends way beyond stock, smoothed out and painted:

Last edited: