05 FZ6 running rough on low to moderate throttle

SirLanceralot

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys, having a minor issue with my S1 lately. Quick backstory/breakdown...

Bought bike in June 2017 with just over 21,000 miles (22,300 on it now), ran through most maintenance i could think of (replace brake fluid, replaced coolant, checked oil, air filter, etc etc) A few weeks after purchasing it I kept having charging issues and it ended up being a faulty stator, which i replaced and was fine for about a week or 2, then i started noticing some weird engine operation at low to moderate throttle, feels almost as if the bike is bucking back and forth, albeit lightly. First thing i thought was misfiring, so i replaced the spark plugs with brand new NGK CR9EKs, which were properly gapped, also checked the air filter which was still very clean. Didn't resolve issue so I did some research and found that the TPS has had a warranty issue, so i went into DIAG mode and tested it, read 16 on closed, and went up normally to 100 at full open. I want to get the throttle bodies synced, as I think that may be contributing to the issue, but don't have a carbtune or something similar, so i'm trying to see if a local rider has one i can borrow, to avoid paying a shop/dealer to check the sync.

The bike usually warms up fine and has normal idle, but sometimes after riding for a while and stopping at a light or stop sign the idle will drop to around 800-1000 RPM, if i turn the bike off and on then it will idle at normal 1200-1300, so I'm stumped on what else could contribute to the issue :confused: I uploaded a video of some erratic idle that i caught when I got home from my normal 45min commute, note the strange hollow "popping" sound. It doesn't seem to be a major issue as I don't notice any erratic operation when I'm riding at highway speeds, just a nuisance when riding anywhere else, haha. Any input or suggestions of what to check is greatly appreciated!

Thanks all!

[video=youtube;pwQU_uRH2as]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwQU_uRH2as[/video]

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You mentioned the re-call on the TPS. Has it been changed out???

Just because it reads 16 and 100 means nothing. You can have one read correct thru the entire range(no skipping/missing #'s)
and it's still bad as it may act up only when warm..

Get a hold of your dealer or better yet Momma Yamaha and find out, have your vin ready.

That bad loping will not occur all of a sudden from a TB sync...

Any codes popping?

SirLanceralot

Reaction score
Visit site
You mentioned the re-call on the TPS. Has it been changed out???

Just because it reads 16 and 100 means nothing. You can have one read correct thru the entire range(no skipping/missing #'s)
and it's still bad as it may act up only when warm..

Get a hold of your dealer or better yet Momma Yamaha and find out, have your vin ready.

That bad loping will not occur all of a sudden from a TB sync...

Any codes popping?

Got it, no idea if it was replaced, the previous owner was the 2nd owner, so they might not know either, I'll look into that and find that out, since if it was not replaced then that will be a free warranty replacement, and I can at least rule that out.

No codes are coming up at all either.

SirLanceralot

Reaction score
Visit site

I saw that earlier and that's when I checked the ranges in the DIAG mode, thinking that may not be the issue since they came out within specs. I found the bulletin for the recall, and my frame wasn't stamped near the VIN for the recall, so I'm thinking it may not have been done, I'll contact my local dealer and find out for sure.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/cs/jaxrs/download/doc/ACM6165195/RCDNN-06V371-8156.pdf

EDIT: Just got off the phone with a local dealer and they looked up the VIN, recall has not been completed, so I got the bike scheduled to get that replaced, will report back after complete to see if that resolves my issue.

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My old 2004 FJR had a re-call on the TPS. It never acted up, never had an issue with it but had it replaced (for free).

I guess those couple of years, Yamaha got some Chinese TPS's.

Most bad ones, would NOT show a malfunction in the diagnostic mode.

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine did the same a while back and I went through all the checks that you have done; the problem was resolved by replacing the battery...

It started with the fuel pump sounding funny and a slower than normal cranking speed. If you've had charging problems it may now be the time to put in a new battery.

SirLanceralot

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine did the same a while back and I went through all the checks that you have done; the problem was resolved by replacing the battery...

It started with the fuel pump sounding funny and a slower than normal cranking speed. If you've had charging problems it may now be the time to put in a new battery.

I initially thought that was the problem i was having with my charging system before I replaced the stator, and load tested the battery which turned out normal. I'll look into the battery again if the TPS doesn't resolve the issue!

Plz post the results once done..

Will do, earliest the dealer could get me in was next wednesday, and they don't even have the part in yet anyhow. I'll update sometime next week.

SirLanceralot

Reaction score
Visit site
You can simply put a volt meter across the battery terminals.

With the engine running, see if your charging, well into the 13 volt area is what your looking for.

When testing the charging system after replacing the stator (to ensure it was working) my multimeter was reading just above 14v off of the terminals when the bike was running. Before when the failed stator was on the bike it wouldn't even go above 12.8 when the battery was installed immediately after being fully charged on a trickle charger.

Just double checked it last night as well, and when bike is running voltage is just barely above 14v.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When testing the charging system after replacing the stator (to ensure it was working) my multimeter was reading just above 14v off of the terminals when the bike was running. Before when the failed stator was on the bike it wouldn't even go above 12.8 when the battery was installed immediately after being fully charged on a trickle charger.

Just double checked it last night as well, and when bike is running voltage is just barely above 14v.

That's more than mine EVER put out.

Your charging system is fine...:thumbup:

SirLanceralot

Reaction score
Visit site
Plz post the results once done..
Picked the bike up from the dealership after the recall work was completed for replacing the TPS, everything seems to be back to normal! When I rode over this morning to drop it off it was acting up the whole ride there, felt like the throttle bodies kept opening and closing as it was doing before, making it look like I was constantly manipulating the throttle, even though my hand was steady.

Anyhow, picked it up this afternoon and did not notice any jerkiness, or anything at all. It's only a 5 mile ride or so to the dealer so post up if it was somehow a fluke and starts acting up again, but I think the issue is resolved! :rockon:

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated!