Thinking about a new touring oriented bike

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello,

Especially since my fz6 has been parked due to still unknown mechanical issues, I've been thinking about adding a new bike in my stable (I have no plan of getting rid of the fz6). I want something reliable, with good wind protection (my fz6 is naked), affordable, not too heavy and still fun enough to ride, decent range, and at least as much power as the fz6. Full size touring bikes are out of the question, not only would they push the budget too much, but I don't think I'd have much fun on slower turns or wrestling it on some slippery ferry floor or narrow shed for safe overnight parking while touring (with the fz6 I can even grab the fork legs or rear wheel, lift one wheel off the ground and move it around with no problem).

The options I've found so far are (wait for it...) still Yamahas:

1-fzs 1000
pros:biggest tank, best range, simpler mechanics, cheapest, best value for money, fully adjustable suspension from the factory, best knee angle, least likely to be eye-candy for thieves
cons:eek:ld age, harder to find good ones, has a choke, heaviest

2-fz8 fazer
pros:biggest fairing, better fuel economy (at least compared to the fz1), lowest power (so lower chance of doing stupid things) but still more low and mid end than the fz6
cons: harder to find here, no adjustable suspension, small tank and range, probably most expensive (or similar to the fz1)

3-fz1 fazer
pros:best frame and suspension, lots of them offered for sale
cons:worst range and consumption

All of them would probably get taller windscreens and lowered pegs, and surely permanent side luggage racks with medium cases.

For number 2 I'd probably swap the forks or at least put some emulators inside.

For both 2 and 3 I'd probably chop the tank to extend it at least 4-6 liters.

Any opinions on this?

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't get any of them new.

It'd probably cost me:
-2500€ for a fzs1000, 03-04
-3500-4500€ for a fz1, 09-11
-4000-5000€ for a fz8, 10-12

A fz9 tracer would also be nice, but the fairing is very small and it is still rare and pricey (6500€+).

About the fjr, the 291kg wet weight scares me a lot, and so do the stories of it dropping sideways at the smallest low speed tilt. Also, most people who have them tour them a lot, so mileages are usually very high for used ones. Side bags will be permanent fixtures on that bike.

Other option would be a cbr1100xx, with FI, but that's still heavy.

For the type of touring I'd do (mainly eastern Europe, little highway) a huge touring bike nearing 300kg would likely be a bit out of it's element.

darius

Never stop exploring
Reaction score
Visit site
Test ride an FJR especially if you do any significant amount of riding 2 up. Even a new demo while considering an older model used one.

The clutch with heavy flywheel and torque will feel on the opposite end of the spectrum to the FZ6. Easy and strong pull vs snatchy short pull.

Don't be too concerned about the weight. It all falls away as soon as you start moving and you'd get used to it.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Most of my riding is 2up. On a "new" sports-touring bike, it'd be 80-90%.

Testing a FJR isn't a bad idea, at least I'd know what I'd be missing (or the bullet I'd be dodging).

[MENTION=6338]TownsendsFJR1300[/MENTION] what kind of roads do you ride, and more exactly where do you park?

On flat roads I'm sure there'd be no issues handling a heavy beast, but take this for instance:

photo_2017-07-28_00-07-37.jpg

This is the back yard of a hotel, where I had to park inside that storage shed, slaloming between construction supplies, tools and beer and juice crates. To get into the backyard I had to go through 2 trees, at a 15-20cm level difference from the street, while the street was covered in gravel and sand. Now, I'm no power lifter but with 350kg leg presses and 45kg bent over single handed dumbbell rows, I think I'm at least stronger than your average guy, regardless of age. Even so, there's no way I'd be able to muscle a fjr through stuff like that without a high chance of dropping it. The fz6 was no problem to get there.

Every time I go somewhere I ask the guys at the reception "I want to park my bike safely, would the street front be ok?". And many times they say "well... not really", and offer some shed or storage area like the one in the picture. Maybe I tend to focus on the half empty side too much, but the less good parts of the trips must also be taken into account, not only the nice open roads.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You know what? I did think a bit about it and it actually would make sense, especially as I'd keep the fz6 alog side it.

Gen1 seems the most attractive, because it seems the lightest and sportiest.

More so, it'd do the job right off the box, with no gas tank hacks or other work.

Biggest downside would be that it would probably feel day and night different compared to the fz6, and still worse than a fz1/fz8/fzs1000, but none of those 3 would probably feel as nimble as my naked fz6 (sub 200kg wet) anyways.

On a side note, I showed my GF some pictures of the fjr . Her reaction? "Wow that looks sooo comfortable in the back. And the bike looks nice overall as well. Perhaps I'd be able to enjoy sitting on the bike for more than a couple of hours". LOL

I'll do a bit more thinking, but maybe I'll award myself one later this year or early 2018 if I finish some personal and work projects Blah

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
I put 90,000 miles on an 04 FJR before a Deer hit me and killed the bike. Rode the FJR on all kinds of roads and conditions all over the western USA. Test ride one of you can, they are a solid rocket ship. Very fun, fast bike. Yes it's bigger than the FZ6 but it can dance quite well. It's fun to have bikes that are not close to the same, choice is good.

Monica A

Reaction score
Visit site
If you will be doing 2up riding, consider your passenger. I love my '06 Triumph Sprint ST for touring, but recently the hubby and I had to ride 2up for about 120 miles due to mechanical issues with his bike. I was on the back and with the hard cases on the bike, it was very uncomfortable foot position for me on the rear footpegs. I could only put my heals on the pegs. The back of my boots were hitting the front of the hardcases. I was going to recommend a Sprint until you said 2up. It has a huge tank (250+ miles per tank), very sporty with the 1050 triple, and lightweight (600 pounds). I've ridden it on and off a few ferrys and manuvered it through a few tight places (my hubby always forgets I don't have 30 plus years of experience like him) with no problem.

We don't usually ride 2up because we both like to drive, but he's a terrible passenger...:cheer:. Riding our own bike is so much more fun!!!! But costs twice as much in gas and maintenance.

Good Luck with your hunt for a bike. I'm just jealous you have so many fabulous places nearby to ride to. Enjoy! Keep the rubber side down.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Monica!

After witnessing a few (very) close calls with her on public roads, on her MTB, I am glad that my GF explicitly told me that she has no intentions to drive a motorcycle and that she thinks she'd be much safer right behind me that trying to keep up on her own. Also, the fact that she is quite petite means that the most powerful bike she'd be comfortable on would something like a 450cc Honda rebel. If anyone from my family were to ride my FZ6 it would most likely be my mother, though until getting a full "A" license, for their safety, I wouldn't let anyone with zero bike experience try an 100+hp bike.

As for the places to ride I am indeed lucky to have a lot of options. In a few hours I can get to either the Carpathian or Balkan mountains, 1-2 days the Dinarides, 2-3 days to the Alps :) . Only things I'd need are a functioning bike and some free time, hopefully by the end of this month I'll be able to sort out both.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Found an Aprilia RST1000 Futura for about 1800€ at 25 minutes away, second owner (since 2013), with a broken stator (not charging, shorted). I'll see it in 1-2 weeks, when I'll be able to overlap schedules with the owner.

The guy says that it's perfectly rideable with a charged battery. Also he's already done a number of mods and repairs, such as upgraded rear shock, steel braided lines, power plugs, and covering the few Achile's heel electrical issues. On ebay a stator is about 100€.

Compared to the FJR1300:

-downsides: much rarer parts, much lower chance of finding spare parts abroad if it breaks (not that the FRJ is R6-like widespread, but still better), a bit more bent forward position, lower range, not sure I'd like a V twin (only had a short experience with someone else's Harley 883, and that was some years ago), very hard to resell if I decide to pass it on, probably a bit lower wind protection

-upsides: much lighter (wet weight is about 20kg lighter than the dry weight of the FJR), much much much cheaper (probably I could get it to 1400-1600€ + 100-200€ in parts, vs 3300-5000€ for a FJR), probably better brakes and suspension, better looking (IMO)

Any opinions?

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Get the FJR, Yamaha builds a much better bike in the long run. Don't sweat the weight of the FJR it's really no big deal and when you open up the 1300 you will know what a great job Yamaha did with the Feejeer.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I wouldn't get any of them new.

It'd probably cost me:
-2500€ for a fzs1000, 03-04
-3500-4500€ for a fz1, 09-11
-4000-5000€ for a fz8, 10-12

A fz9 tracer would also be nice, but the fairing is very small and it is still rare and pricey (6500€+).

I agree the second hand FZ9 Tracers are still quite pricey which is why I decided to buy a new one (and ride it for years).
The fairing doesn't look much but does a better job than you would imagine, it still doesn't protect the helmet but neither did the FZ6. Got bags of torque very nimble (it steers like a dream) and only 210 kg, my wife doesn't ride with me so I don't know about 2 up but I would think it would be ideal, more effortless to ride than the FZ6 (less gear changing and a much better bottom end). I went for a long ride last Sunday (750km, 400km motorway and the rest twisties mainly in the Eifel region of Germany) and I must admit I didn't feel any worse for wear for it (unlike with the FZ6).
Good luck in your search :)

tracer.jpg

Last edited:

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Couldn't find a fjr1300 to test ride.

I'm still thinking whether or not to check that futura out, as I'm a bit afraid I'd come with it home, and few months later bash my face on the keyboard for not finding parts for it.

Other bikes I've included on my list:

-vfr 800 with some mods to the screen and handlebars

-gsxf 1250- similar to a fjr, a bit lighter but much weaker chassis

-sprint gt- as suggested by Monica, I've looked into it, seems interesting, however the main issue with it is it's rather poor popularity and used availability

-fz6- converting my bike from naked to touring by fitting a complete front nose from a fazer, one of those aftermarket lower fairings, tall windshield, permanent luggage rack. Would it be worth it? How much more (wind) comfort would it add?

There are 2 issues with my naked fz6: no luggage storage- this is easily fixable with a rack and side boxes, but the main issue is wind protection- or lack of it. On zero wind, I can cruise at 160km, without make any efforts to hold on however I'd appreciate less wind noise. Add a little wind and I loose 10-20km of that. Add GF in the back and I loose 20-40km of that, reducing my cruise speed to 110-130kms (depending on wind condition). At 160 (read 100 miles) the wind is so bad for her she is holding on for dear life. Went 170 for a few minutes once, and she said she thought she was about to be ripped off the bike by the wind pressure and die. If I was able to cruise at 150 with the same comfort as now at 110, and perhaps have the ability to go 180-200 without anybody getting dismounted by the wind, WHILE keeping all other fz6's characteristics it'd be awesome.
If I converted the fz6 I'd buy a SM for town riding, and keep the fz6 for any trips longer than 1h.

bigborer

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've inquired 2 FJR sellers on the local classifieds, and by the way the add looked and their lack of response I can tell that they were scum middlemen. At this moment there are only around 10 FJRs posted online nationwide, out of which only 3-4 meet my criteria of being 03-05 with ABS (due to the increase in weight and wheel base I'm not interested at all in 2nd or 3rd gen). At the same time, there are hundreds of R1s and R6s :( .

Sat near an VFR 800 at a stop light, and it seemed way too small. Also, GF commented that she wouldn't be able to sit on the back for more than 30 minutes (there was a girl about her size, and yes her position seemed more tilted and cramped than on a fz6). So the VFR 800 is out. Too bad, as there are plenty of them here...

Any other ideas? Especially any comments on transplanting the fazer half fairing on my naked fz6? Keep in mind that I'd also be perfectly fine with modding any model should it provide a good base.