Isol8er

Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought an 04 FZ6S. 21k miles. I had $1200 worth of work done but I think there's still a problem. There is serious play in the front sprocket. When on the center stand, in first gear, when I move the rear tire back and fourth, there's a ton of play.
In fact, I can feel the play when I ride. When I let off the throttle, I can feel the play.
Anyway, before I say "play" one more time. I was thinking it could be the front sprocket? Or is it something else? Worse?
I don't have another $1200.
I'm hoping it's a not-so-complicated fix, but I gotta do whatever it takes to keep my baby on the road.
Anyone have any ideas?

major tom

Reaction score
Visit site
What exactly is a ton of play? Was there driveline repair or maintenance done? It is normal to have some back and forth slack at the rear wheel, perhaps more in first gear, and the fuel injection is abrupt when opening the throttle from closed. If I suspected something wrong as you described I'd first remove the counter-shaft sprocket cover which you could most likely do with the tools in your toolkit, and do this ASAP! Of course check as best you can that the nut holding the sprocket to the countershaft it secure and tight. If I remember correctly the shaft and the nut should be even at the end of the shaft. With the cover off check again for excessive freeplay now that everything is visible.Can you wobble the sprocket? Next check if the play is in the rear wheel, maybe the cush drive is badly worn though it seems unlikely. If nothing is found, the clutch to mainshaft internally could be the problem, which would be something for a mechanic to investigate.Good luck and check back there is lots of help here.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:welcome: to the forum!

As Major Tom says the cush drive (Rubber parts behind the sprocket) could even have missing parts.
As well as the front sprocket check that your chain slack is not too loose. You should have about 1.8 inches of up and down play while on the center stand. Remember to check your chain slack in different spots of the chain by rotating the rear wheel to different spots. This can tell you you've got a worn/stretched chain. Bad sprocket and chain wear could also give you more play than usual.

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Plus one on Tom's post. Pull that front cover (3 allan heads-and don't pinch the two wires going back together!).

That year bike had an issue with the sprocket nut coming loose AND FALLING OFF.

And plus 100, DO NOT RIDE UNTIL the front sprocket nut is inspected.

Lynn

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a 2004 FZ6 ,
front sprocket has just come off , was very lucky this happened as i tried to pull away in traffic , within pushing distance of home and not early when i had been playing on country roads , problem now is it has damaged the threads and the bolt wont stay on :(

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
i have a 2004 FZ6 ,
front sprocket has just come off , was very lucky this happened as i tried to pull away in traffic , within pushing distance of home and not early when i had been playing on country roads , problem now is it has damaged the threads and the bolt wont stay on :(

Maybe a couple close up pic's?

They make metric thread "chasers" (kinda looks like a file) that you'll probably be able to use on the THREADED shaft depending on how bad the damage is.

IE:
Nicholson Thread Restoring File Set with Pouch (4-Piece)-33024 - The Home Depot

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just bought an 04 FZ6S. 21k miles. I had $1200 worth of work done but I think there's still a problem. There is serious play in the front sprocket. When on the center stand, in first gear, when I move the rear tire back and fourth, there's a ton of play.
In fact, I can feel the play when I ride. When I let off the throttle, I can feel the play.
Anyway, before I say "play" one more time. I was thinking it could be the front sprocket? Or is it something else? Worse?
I don't have another $1200.
I'm hoping it's a not-so-complicated fix, but I gotta do whatever it takes to keep my baby on the road.
Anyone have any ideas?

Any updates??

SandyN

Reaction score
Visit site
This is interesting. Remember that the gears are straight cut which also causes a slight rattling sound in the transmission when the motor is running in neutral. This sound disappears when the clutch is disengaged. The point is; there is some play in the transmission which is normal.

I consider my bike still to be normal (76,000 km). So I have tested the rotation of the rear wheel by marking the tyre on the outer edge while holding a marking pen against the hugger at that point as follows with chain slack at roughly 50 mm up and down. 1st gear: tyre moves 45 mm, 2nd gear: tyre moves 60 mm, third gear: tyre moves 40 mm.

I have had to re-tighten the front sprocket nut on occasion as it does come loose despite the lock washer still being in place. Perhaps you also need to check the possibility of the front sprocket having being replaced with one that has incorrect splines too.

Last edited:

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is interesting. Remember that the gears are straight cut which also causes a slight rattling sound in the transmission when the motor is running in neutral. This sound disappears when the clutch is disengaged. The point is; there is some play in the transmission which is normal.
Thank you for this info, always wondered about the difference in sound [emoji106]