My first post. A nice day on the FZ6.

[youtubevid]TbgLGvzCDHw[/youtubevid]

Last edited:

ShoopCE

Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I'll be on that road tomorrow! I'm vacationing in NY visiting my wife's folks right on the edge of the park.

I've ridden the other roads through Harriman but never found it on the loop to do Arden Rd.

Thanks for the video.

Chris

fz6bk

Reaction score
Visit site
Have fun Chris! A.V. Road is my favorite. You can have a lot of fun without pushing the speed too much. K. Road is great too, but beware of the hikers and their cars.

Thanks Darius. I think that I have more fun on it than my liter bike for this reason.

Last edited:

QwickFliCk

Manly Man Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! Damn it's been too long since I rode up there. I gotta get a group ride going this summer.

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! Damn it's been too long since I rode up there. I gotta get a group ride going this summer.
Lol. Joe and I were just talking about you the other day. Good to see you on the forum. You let me know when you want to get a group together. I'll be there.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

fz6bk

Reaction score
Visit site
Going in the other direction a couple of weeks later and a little faster.

[youtubevid]WL1FIfV3Ta8[/youtubevid]

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
My question is with a road this nice why isn't there anybody else on it? You are fortunate. :thumbup:

trepetti

It's all good!
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Me too Scott. I was able to see the original video and now it and the others are gone. Wonder if Admin turned on the 'Hoon' filter. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Tom.

Looks like a combo between Deals gap and Cherohola Highway but with NO cars!!

It's obvious, you've ridden it a time or two ;) !

Got my adrenaline going there for a little bit!

Me likes!

fz6bk

Reaction score
Visit site
There's definitely more traffic on the weekends, but it's usually not too bad. We've had quite a few people who are unfamiliar with the road go down in there for obvious reasons. I started riding in September, and I went down not long after on one of those turns--only minor damage to me and the bike fortunately, and an important lesson hopefully learned.

Got my adrenaline going there for a little bit!

Thanks! That's why I record--you get to relive that feeling a little while at work or wherever.

Are there roads like this one down in Florida? We (the people I ride with) definitely consider ourselves lucky to have this one.

Last edited:

kenh

Ride Like Your Invisible!
Premium Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Morning. You just have to watch out for the deer, turkeys and geese.

Yes the deer have very few natural predators in my area and our geese population is up, however they seem to be only crossing roads early in the morning . The deer however are moving around in the middle of the day now so you always have to look for one once you are familiar with their runs, they are if nothing else creatures of habit, generally. Your later post says you went down, perhaps when you are ready you can share your experience. All events are helpful to all to analyze and reflect on our own actions as necessary. Be safe. :thumbup:

fz6bk

Reaction score
Visit site
Your later post says you went down, perhaps when you are ready you can share your experience.

I crashed as the radius of the turn decreases just after 0:54 and before the hairpin turn in the second video. It was a combination of a couple of factors:

- I was new to the road. I forgot that the turn tightened, and I was going too fast as I came up the hill.
- I was a new rider. I was just learning the skills to handle the increased speed, and my reaction was to target fixate and brake hard.

I went straight off. The bike hit something and dug in, and I went over the handlebars. I was wearing a riding jacket, jeans and shoes. All said, I wasn't going that fast, and I rode the bike home with damaged fairings and slightly twisted forks.

More recently, I was following a more experienced rider when he crashed in that exact spot. We were going a lot faster. He had a bad concussion, and the bike flew 20 ft up the road and was totaled. I suspect that the reasons were similar: excess speed and an (avoidable) surprise as the radius of the turn decreases.

My riding skills have improved dramatically since, but obviously it's a constant work in progress. I don't necessarily trust my reactions to a surprise to be entirely correct, but I believe they've improved, especially as the skills (e.g. body position, trail braking) become more instinct and less conscious.

A couple roads with 1/10th of what you have close by..

Places to avoid ;)

[youtubevid]oMQ6P6LFpAc[/youtubevid]

Direct link

[youtubevid]NLX34rB7S7s[/youtubevid]

Direct link

A couple videos from a set from this weekend with friends, if anyone wants some more. It most of our first time on the road in the second video--I took it a little easier based on aforementioned experiences. The guy leading was in his 50s and just killing it.

Last edited: