Burned out Headlight. No Highbeam Indicator, Good Fuses

The13th

Reaction score
Visit site
I was on a regular ride on my 09 FZ6 and I had the high beam on as well as the running light. Everything was fine (both were functioning). When I stopped (<5 min later), I noted that the highbeam indicator was off and I hadn't turned it off. Sure enough, flicked the switch and it never came on. Both lights were off. Later I checked the fuses, and saw the head 20 fuse was blown. Replaced that, still no lights. Checked the bulbs and the running light was blown (bulb was about 10 months old); high beam looked fine. Replaced that, still no lights, no highbeam indicator. Tail light, brake light, turn signals all function and the bike starts and runs just fine. Battery is about a month old.

Suggestions much appreciated.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The headlight circuit runs off a relay That relay is not operable until the engine has been started. Since you've replaced the fuse and highbeam lamp please confirm that you've started the engine and checked the headlamp voltages to be present or not present. Where in Cali are you? I'm in SD

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just checked and you're not far from me so if worse comes to worse we can get together for a coffee and some troubleshooting.....

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rep point to Cliff for a generous offer... but denied =(

Any chance this is a dual headlight mod gone wrong?
As in, with an incorrect mod to turn on both left and right lamps and done incorrectly the low and high beam elememts of the same bulb are both on at the same time. This condition leads to premature bulb failure as the two elements on at the same time over heat the bulb.

You might grab a meter or a test lamp and verify the low beam element is OFF (H4 bulb) while the High Beam element is on (H4 bulb)....

Or you could put your sunglasses on and stare into the sun. Me, I'd use the meter....

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Rep point to Cliff for a generous offer... but denied =(

Any chance this is a dual headlight mod gone wrong?
As in, with an incorrect mod to turn on both left and right lamps and done incorrectly the low and high beam elememts of the same bulb are both on at the same time. This condition leads to premature bulb failure as the two elements on at the same time over heat the bulb.

You might grab a meter or a test lamp and verify the low beam element is OFF (H4 bulb) while the High Beam element is on (H4 bulb)....

Or you could put your sunglasses on and stare into the sun. Me, I'd use the meter....
I thought of that but he said he replaced the hight beam. I agree, it could be a bad HL mod...

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Last edited:

TownsendsFJR1300

2007 FZ6
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The one running light bulb burned out 10 months ago and NOW, again...

Besides that HB issue and blowing fuses, something ain't right.

An improper dual headlight mod, should (I would think), not burn out the running light-maybe coincidence?

I suspect Cliff may get that cup of coffee, or even breakfast digging into this one!!

The13th

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the replies. I have started the bike (gotten the engine running) and the headlights don't run. I haven't done any headlight mods. Only electrical is a new taillight that is nearly 6 months old. That hasn't given issues.

I'm not sure on the voltage testing. I'm not much of an electrical engineer, but I'm willing to try.

I've read that it could be a regulator rectifier or stator.

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for the replies. I have started the bike (gotten the engine running) and the headlights don't run. I haven't done any headlight mods. Only electrical is a new taillight that is nearly 6 months old. That hasn't given issues.

I'm not sure on the voltage testing. I'm not much of an electrical engineer, but I'm willing to try.

I've read that it could be a regulator rectifier or stator.

It wouldn't be the stator. It could be the regulator rectifier but then it would toast other lights and other components if it went open. Maybe intermittent but I doubt it. May have a bad headlight relay. I'll be available for help after this weekend as I believe you're not that far from me. I know these circuits pretty well.... :)

The13th

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank is an incredibly generous offer. that I will probably take you up on. I'll probably ride dirty (no headlights) as I continue to look into the issue. Luckily my commuting is during the day; thank god for long summer days

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank is an incredibly generous offer. that I will probably take you up on. I'll probably ride dirty (no headlights) as I continue to look into the issue. Luckily my commuting is during the day; thank god for long summer days
Let me know when we can hook up. Better if you can come here. I have tools and meters. I can figure out what the problem is in a few minutes. We should be able to get you up and running and then you can order a relay if that's the culprit. Let me know...

Sent from Moto's Motorola

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
The13th and I got together this morning. The fuse was blown. It was originally blown because of a bad H7 low beam lamp. The13th replaced the fuse the first time and the headlights didn't work because the fuse blew again but he did not know it.. Then the bad lamp was found and replaced but didn't work because the fuse had already blown again before the bad lamp that blew the fuse in the first place had been removed from the circuit. We replaced the fuse and all is good now!:)

Attachments

• IMG_20170623_105341976_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20170623_105341976_HDR.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 37