When selling do you allow test ride??

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Soon I will be selling my FZ6 :(
I am just wondering do you guys allow buyer a test ride? Maybe stupid question but when selling a car you ride right seat. With bike you can't do that. I wouldn't like to see back of my bike disappearing down a road and no money in hand.

Marcelor73

Reaction score
Visit site
Soon I will be selling my FZ6 :(
I am just wondering do you guys allow buyer a test ride? Maybe stupid question but when selling a car you ride right seat. With bike you can't do that. I wouldn't like to see back of my bike disappearing down a road and no money in hand.
The only way I would allow a test ride would be if I had cash in hand for the full amount. No exceptions. You broke it/crashed it/dropped it, you bought it.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ahmadusmansh

Reaction score
Visit site
Dont let anyone take it for a ride bro. Even if you do. Get every detail you could. I did let someone take mine for a spin. 3 days later cops showed up telling me it was flashed at 170 km/h. Took my bike away for a month. Now I am facing charges for not being able to identify the rider at the time of offence. **** it. Dont let anyone touch your bike.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am thinking of selling mine too and this is a worry, I will insist on retaining ID, driver's licence and their car/bike keys before they even get a leg over it.

Also this won't happen at my house but in a very public place.

FinalImpact

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Tell them it has gps on board and I've got a live feed! If you leave the circle I'm calling the po po...

Reality is you can do this for cheap and witness speeds.

Money in hand with a witness and a signed contract is best. No downs or you are the new owner like it or not.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
Take a pic of the driver's license, hopefully his partner or friend keeps the money and stays with you. Usually most people come to you via a car or other personal vehicle. You would be a bit safe there.
If there is no one with the potential buyer, and didn't come in a personal vehicle. Ask him to pay cash up front, along with a pic of his photo ID. You can give the money back, if the transaction fails.

I sold my FZ in august and my hands are still itchy. I got a Merc E350 4Matic, which I love every bit of it, but I do still hate cars and wanting to get back on two wheels.
Is there a rehab for ex-motorcyclists? lol.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a statement on my ad, https://www.ksl.com/myaccount/listing-classified something like
Test rides, Cash-in-hand.
I noted that at least two other sellers added something similar to their ads in the past week.
I'm less worried about someone driving off and never coming back, than I am of someone dropping it exiting my driveway, pulling the key out and handing it back, muttering "Sorry man" and disappearing! I've heard of that happening before, not worth chancing.
That said, I asked to test-ride my current beemer (her name is "Pig") and the owner was a bit wide-eyed but let me, three years ago. She was hard to steer and I almost dropper her myself, but she ran okay and I bought her. Come to find out both tires had less than 10 psi in them, AND the gas was lord-knows-how-old; once I reinflated the tires and gave her some fresh petrol, she was a dream!

bricksrheavy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I've done the cash-in-hand before but was always concerned the guy will return and say he dropped the bike because it stalled for no reason and he's not paying for a broken bike, or refuse to buy it and instead suggest he fixes it 'cause his cousin has a garage...

Is it even legal to hold on to someones money if they wreck the bike even though they want the money back?

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
I would feel perfectly comfortable to let someone test mine. I mean I wouldn't buy one myself without testing it!
Of course it's a case by case thing. If the person looks like a crook I'd have different terms than if it was e.g. an entire 'normal' family and they'd be waiting with me while one member tests the bike.
And I assume by testing we are talking about a few minute ride.
Having some basic details and ID of the potential buyer is a must though.

gnyce

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
When I sold the nighthawk, I let a guy ride it around the block. He was pretty knowledgeable (mechanically) and said he has an older model. He didn't have cash in hand, but he handed over keys, wallet, credit cards, etc, which I hung on to (and we both almost forgot to give them back). The last bike I looked at (fixer-upper), the guy let me ride with no cash in hand. I think it helped that I drove over an hour on my FZ, so he knew I had a bike and knew how to ride. But yes - he took a chance. I understand concern with going on a ride, but agree that if I'm looking at a bike, I'd want to try it. It's probably situational... how competent/comfortable are you with the person? No idea re: legality of cash-in-hand if they DO drop/crash it.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Craigslist standard around these parts is asking price in cash in hand and an M1 license. In reality, most people won't demand the cash in hand, especially if you show up on another bike and have it sitting at the seller's place. I actually ended up buying my wife's current bike because she dropped it on her test ride.

For me, I absolutely required cash in hand, M1 license and a helmet.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
For me, I absolutely required cash in hand, M1 license and a helmet.

When I bought my first bike in USA, March 2015, I didn't had the helmet, only motorcycle riding experience for 8 years already. The Seller let me borrowed his helmet, but, I went to go karting earlier and got the skull cap type thing for heads, as we use other's helmet. the seller was happy :) So, my point. Not all people might have their own helmet.

zixaq

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When I bought my first bike in USA, March 2015, I didn't had the helmet, only motorcycle riding experience for 8 years already. The Seller let me borrowed his helmet, but, I went to go karting earlier and got the skull cap type thing for heads, as we use other's helmet. the seller was happy :) So, my point. Not all people might have their own helmet.

That's fine, but they're not riding a bike I'm selling without one. This is all about individual standards, not universal requirements.

raja777m

Ride like you own it..!
Reaction score
Visit site
That's fine, but they're not riding a bike I'm selling without one. This is all about individual standards, not universal requirements.

Ya, I didn't plan to ride home, my friend helped me with his trailer, once I signed the sale deed and paid cash. :) I know, to each his own.

D

Deleted member 17211

Fact is there's never a shortage of interested buyers when it comes to bikes, so I am selective. I've sold three bikes, never allowed a test ride. All three were newish riders that I didn't care if they had cash in hand because unless you make them sign a legally binding agreement (writing something on a sheet of paper has no legal standing) they can claim whatever they want. Not worth the hassle. Want a test ride? Go to a dealer, they're insured and protected for that.

Mister E

Reaction score
Visit site
My two cents:

I think letting a buyer test drive even if you have cash in hand can still be a tricky situation unless you plan to draft some agreement that specifies the conditions of the test drive. There are too many scenarios that can turn this in to a nightmare. What happens if the motorcycle breaks down when the buyer is test driving it. What happens if the buyer is hit by someone when test driving, i.e. not their fault. I recently bought my bike and to be honest, I wanted to test drive it, but I felt uncomfortable as I did not know the area and the roads and they were very busy. I had the seller drive the bike and I followed on car.

Whatever you decide, If you do allow a test drive, it should always be the final condition for sale. I would never allow a test drive to a buyer who does not commit to buying the bike beforehand. Also, if you do let them test drive, you might consider following them via car, if you have that option.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
Very interesting views. Everybody wants test ride but almost nobody is ready to give keys to buyer. With FZ6 there is a great chance that some beginner will come for it. It's really perfect starter or intermediate bike.
We'll see how it goes. I'll report what happened.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
So yesterday I got buyer looking at bike. We agreed on price day before and he showed up with trailer. I went to MOT for "vehicle information package" and prepared 2 simple contracts. First he looked at the bike (in garage) fro all sides. I showed him manual with some service records. Last service done in Sarasota 10 days ago. I started bike. Everything fine. Then we went back into room and he handed me money in closed envelope. Counted, everything there.
At this moment he wouldn't sign contract. He said he needs just short spin to see that it runs properly. I am thinking "Fine, I have money, bike is practically yours so sure, do it". He picked up new helmet that I am giving away with bike and went down a road. I really thought he will just do short circle around industrial complex where we were. However he was away for good 5 min.

I actually got nervous a bit and here he comes back and drives straight back into garage. And then most peculiar thing happened. He got off the bike and says something like:"I will think about it. I actually wanted back with fairing at the bottom ..."and something like that. I ask him is anything is wrong, I rode same bike last week from Sarasota back to Toronto with no issues whatsoever. I tell him that he knew exactly which model of bike he wanted and was expecting to see. But he said like he is undecided. I said, "yesterday evening while we e-amiled to each other you knew exactly what it is and exactly how it looks like".

Anyway, we went back to room and I handed him money. He pulled it out of envelope and counted again and then left. I left kind of stunned with no explanation what just happened. It was almost like he wanted to ride a bike to try it out counting on fact that he will not take it. I can't imagine anything being so wrong with motorcycle that would change his mind. I asked him and he said no, Not really strong no.

Very strange. We went through all normal motions. He went to bank to pickup money, had a bank slip in envelope. What do you think about this? I went back to Kijiji and actually raised a price on bike.

IMG_2785.jpg IMG_2786.jpg IMG_2788.jpg

Pujazuba

Testing...gnitseT
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe he honestly had a change of heart and was originally honest about his intent to buy. But still his excuse sounds pants and from the sellers point of view is pretty crappy treatment.