FZ6 Windscreen Poll

What windscreen do you use?

• Yamaha touring screen

Votes: 73 13.7%
  • Puig Racing screen (aka double bubble)

Votes: 199 37.3%
  • Puig Touring screen

Votes: 51 9.6%
  • CalSci (S, M, L) (S2)

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Givi DS Profile screen (S1&2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • Cee Bailey (S2)

Votes: 19 3.6%
  • MRA screen (add sub-type)

Votes: 15 2.8%
  • 7JuRock screen

Votes: 1 0.2%
  • Laminar Lip

Votes: 11 2.1%
  • Gustaffson screens (S1&2)

Votes: 2 0.4%
  • MadStad Engineering RoboBrackets

Votes: 17 3.2%
  • Converted my S1 fairing to an S2 fairing

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • OEM screen mod (cut, drilled, etc)

Votes: 50 9.4%
  • Went naked…

Votes: 52 9.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 43 8.1%

• Total voters

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm looking at getting a better touring windscreen. I've read a tonne on this subject here and elsewhere, from chopping mods, to venting mods, to the Laminar lip, and different height/rake angles on screens. I like the esthetics of the stock screen and height. However, on the S1 I own large low pressure buffeting zone behind and coming off the screen really rattles my head and increases wind noise. I'd like to get something that offers better wind protection, but is still at or near stock size, although I may try something else if it reviews well here.

This poll is about what you guys have, what you use it for (ie. touring, sport riding, track, etc) and the screens pros and cons.

If we keep this to a fairly standard format, this poll may become useful for others looking for screen info/advice in the future.

Template example...

Screen name: Puig standard screen
Usage (Track bike, touring, commuter, etc): Commuter
Cost (and currency): $75USD
Screen height: Same size as OEM
Installation (ie. bolt on, mods required, etc.): OEM replacement
Bike model (S1, S2, Naked): S1
Pro's: Looks cool because it’s custom coloured
Con's: offers no appreciable difference over stock setup
Pics (if your screen is unique/obscure):

Last edited:

GTPAddict

Just a dude with an FZ6
Reaction score
theblattners.com
The Puig screen was on my bike when I bought it, but looking at the pics from their website I'd say it was the standard one. I really like it, although I don't have much to compare it to. I've had the bike just over 90 MPH a few times and ride over 65 MPH daily. I have had no issues with wind in the chest as I've read about the stock screen at speeds over 60 MPH, but I haven't taken an long trips on the bike either.

All in all, if I were going to buy another for whatever reason I'm probably get another like the one that's on there now. I couldn't vote because the standard screen was not an option, but here' are some pic's of mine...

Eddie's 2006 Yamaha FZ6

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I couldn't vote because the standard screen was not an option, but here' are some pic's of mine...

Eddie's 2006 Yamaha FZ6

Thanks for getting the ball rolling. I didn't put the Puig Standard in the poll because it has the same dimensions as the stock screen, and is basically an esthetics upgrade... They do look sharp, but I'm looking for something at or near stock size, while still diminishing wind turbulence/noise for long range touring.

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
I won't hi-jack the thread but here's from my own experience. I did a lot of R&D on my 6R because the stock screen is absolutely horrible. I get the air right under your helmet and after 15 minutes on the freeway your head feel like it's going to fall off.

So if you want to see and read the whole thing, go on the fz6r forum and search "Custom Windscreen or Marthy 22" windscreen".

What I found out is it's not all about the height of the screen. Laminar lip or spoiler style really work great. I did a 20,22,24 & 26" tall screen. I did compare all those, pass 22" i notice there was not much difference. So I settle for 22" and been playing with few different shape and size spoiler (aka laminar lip) I'm getting better result with the 22" screen with laminar lip then the 26" screen that I use to have.

So from sitting on the bike, here's the best way to explain the difference. With a regular single layer screen. When the air goes over the screen it just flow linear. By that I mean if you put your hand low and go up you can feel where the air flow hit you. It like a wall of air that get accelerated strait to you. With the laminar lip it really brake that layer. It give you a "transition layer". It goes from no air to a low pressure turbulent air to high speed air flow.

Here's a few pics of my quest to a better touring screen. I went to some extreme just to learn and test few things out. Maybe it's the way you guys should go. Lowe's acrylic and a good heat gun with a lot a patience will get you there. eplastic.com have a nice selection of tint material. If you stay on the short side, 1/8" thick is enough... other wise 3/16" is the way to go.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So you're using a 22" homemade screen with a laminar lip? Is that right? Or is it a stock screen that you've heat molded at the top? I'm a bit confused... I read your review on the FZ6R site. Looks like you had your screen custom made... :confused:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
So you're using a 22" homemade screen with a laminar lip? Is that right? Or is it a stock screen that you've heat molded at the top? I'm a bit confused... I read your review on the FZ6R site. Looks like you had your screen custom made... :confused:

Yep! I custom made the screen. The first few were just cut off with a jig saw. I had 10 made cut on a cnc and pre bend. I finish them up on a jig that I made and drill the holes at the proper spot for the first batch. I don't have a pic of my latest laminar lip. it's just as high as the screen... about 15 deg angle is the sweet spot! I'll take a pic later on and will post it later. :thumbup:

Marthy

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's pics of the short laminar lip that I made. All it is is a flat 1/8" thick plexiglass that I profile. You can see there's 4 screws. the top 2 are fix, 2 bottom 2 can be slot out. So you can give it some shape then tight up the bottom one tho hold in place... For some of you it might not win any beauty contest... but it get the job done very well. It make my mirrors look like they belong there now... lol:rockon:

lewdfinger

Reaction score
Visit site
I've tried everything available for my '06 and finally decided to go naked. There are quite a few threads about this here, and my conclusion was the same as many others: Touring windshields available for the pre-2007 models just increase the noise due to turbulence. I may have tried a big CalSci shield if I had a 2007+ bike. I seriously considered selling it for this reason alone - it's like Satan himself designed the aeros on this bike. I already have significant hearing loss and tinnitus, so this is a show-stopper for me.

I rode for quite a while with the stock screen cut down 3", which is better, but still pretty loud out on the slab. My last attempt was a Puig touring screen with a Laminar lip installed, and I even tried cutting a NACA vent in the lower apex - the roar was still deafening - literally. Worst part is that the pressure changes are transmitted through your earplugs and skull - there's no getting away from it! I tried a windjammer, which helped a little but was way too occlusive on warm days.

I took it out with no screen and the smooth airflow was like heaven, so I decided to spring for a $300 headlight kit instead of a new bike. If I want to do serious miles I'll get a touring bike.

For the record, I'm 5'8" with stumpy legs, so I sit a little taller than that, and wear a Shoei X11 helmet and custom molded earplugs.

Hope this helps

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
I took off the screen on my 06 and will try it out this week. I like the look too. If it feels good, I think I'll keep it that way and switch the mirrors to bar ends for a semi naked/fighter look.

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I took off the screen on my 06 and will try it out this week. I like the look too. If it feels good, I think I'll keep it that way and switch the mirrors to bar ends for a semi naked/fighter look.

Do you have any pics without the screen. To be clear, you left the fairing on, but took the screen off?

Thanks!

Krazyjohnny

Reaction score
Visit site
MadStad screen and robo-brackets for me please. I have one on my 2009 FZ-6 S2 and it has answered my prayers. I have pics up here on the forum in regards to this. It is adjustable to your riding needs from allowing you to get a full blast of air on your noggin' to creating the "cone of silence" and literally allowing you to ride with the face shield up at highway speeds.

I know of a few others on this site that have the same experience. Check this screen out. It is probably the more expensive, but is also the most versatile.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
I recently purchased a Cal-Sci screen and the fit was so bad it was not usable. Even if I could mount it, I was afraid it would damage the fairing due to the outward pressure it exerted. I think I'll try a Baily screen later this summer, but I'd recommend staying away from the Cal-Sci.

Wh0M3

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the Yamaha touring screen. I like it and after lowering my handle bar grips I am able to tuck behind it nicely. I have had thoughts of switching it back because it doesn't look as sporty but I like having it for function rather than looks.

Spideyrex

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, I went for a ride after taking off my windscreen on my 06 (but leaving the fairing on). I an now more conflicted! I loved the air flow and lack of turbulence. Wind noise was much less and my helmet is much cooler since the vents actually flow air now! A lot more air hitting my shoulders and upper chest but not bad at all.
But, the air flow directed every single bee, insect and little rock right to my neck and face. I one bee hit me in the eye when I had my visor up, luckily I had my glasses on! Another bee hit my neck, got stuck in my shirt and stung me when I stopped and took off my jacket!:eek:

My theory is that the windscreen directed the critter up and over while the fairing only aims them right at me. Maybe a cut down windscreen is the way to go?

lewdfinger

Reaction score
Visit site
My theory is that the windscreen directed the critter up and over while the fairing only aims them right at me. Maybe a cut down windscreen is the way to go?

First thing is you need to stop riding through beehives...

My experience mirrors yours exactly. I'm still going to convert to naked to save my hearing, and try to be macho with the wind and projectiles. Plus carry a squeegee and wipes with me.

The only thing I didn't try was cutting a vent in the apex of the cut-down stock screen. Maybe I'll try that as a last resort before taking off the fairing for good.

Lewd

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
... The only thing I didn't try was cutting a vent in the apex of the cut-down stock screen. Maybe I'll try that as a last resort before taking off the fairing for good.

Please post pics if you do. I'm postponing this purchase/mod (whichever way the poll points in the end) until after my upcoming move to Ontario. So far, the front runner seems to be the Puig Double Bubble screen, but I'm unsure as to whether this is an esthetics only upgrade, or if it helps with wind noise/turbulence...

pulverizer

Reaction score
Visit site
First thing is you need to stop riding through beehives...

My experience mirrors yours exactly. I'm still going to convert to naked to save my hearing, and try to be macho with the wind and projectiles. Plus carry a squeegee and wipes with me.

The only thing I didn't try was cutting a vent in the apex of the cut-down stock screen. Maybe I'll try that as a last resort before taking off the fairing for good.

Lewd

If anyone wants to try the mod that I did before going and cutting the stock screen, here is the link to the thread I started...It seems to have helped me some, I will have a more detailed result on Wednesday after I drive a good distance to work on the highway. I have not commuted with the mod yet, that is where I will be able to tell the difference pretty quickly.

lhttp://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/38620-pulverizers-stock-windscreen-mod-less-turbulence.html

wolfe1down

Go hard or go home!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If anyone wants to try the mod that I did before going and cutting the stock screen, here is the link to the thread I started...It seems to have helped me some, I will have a more detailed result on Wednesday after I drive a good distance to work on the highway. I have not commuted with the mod yet, that is where I will be able to tell the difference pretty quickly.

lhttp://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-mods/38620-pulverizers-stock-windscreen-mod-less-turbulence.html

This looks like a good S2 mod. Looking for some ride report info from some of the S1 mod gang out there...

FZ6_Dude

FZ6 Corner Carver
Reaction score
Visit site
I love my puig double bubble... one of the first mods i did on the bike... and it helped extensively with wind buffetting on the helmet and relocated the wind stream over my shoulders... much improved over the stock screen for me... 5'10" tall...