Group test-FZ8 gets shredded

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Fast Bikes have done a back to back road test between all the 'New breed' of naked middleweights,ie the 7-800 cc class.
The contenders are-

FZ8 N - £7,799
Ducati Monster 796 - £6,995
Triumph street Triple R - £6,999
BMW F800 R - £7,695
Kawasaki Z750 - £5,995

They rated them from 1-10 On Track,Fast Road,Hooligan,New Rider,Desirability.

This is how the FZ8 N fared

Track - 1 out of 10 "Too low and too slow"
Fast Road - 3 out of ten "Still too low,but easy enough to cane"
Hooligan - 1 out of ten "No Chance,next question"
New rider - 9 out of ten "Perfect for ditching the 'L's
Desirability - 5 out of ten "Nice lines,but lacks swagger"

Next up Performance,as tested with data logging equipment.

FZ8 N 0-60 in 3.64 secs 0-100 in 8.10 secs 0-120 in 13.14 secs top speed 141 MPH Standing quarter 11.93secs at 115.87 mph

Kawasaki Z750 0-60 in 3.50 secs 0-100 in 7.88 secs 0-120 in 13.06 secs top speed 145 MPH Standing quarter 11.68 secs at 116.80 mph

BMW F800R 0-60 in 3.94 secs 0-100 in 9.33 secs 0-120 in 15.99 secs top speed 133 MPH Standing quarter 12.55 secs at 110.93 mph

Ducati Monster 796 0-60 in 3.74 secs 0-100 in 9.10 secs 0-120 in 15.66 secs top speed 135 MPH Standing quarter 12.26 secs at 112.55 mph.

Triumph Speed Triple R 0-60 in 3.38 secs 0-100 in 7.61 secs 0-120 in 11.38 secs top speed 144 MPH Standing quarter 10.56 secs at 120.67 mph.

The general upshot is that the FZ8 is £2000 more than what it should be and that by marketing it as a naked sportsbike,they should be sued under the Trade Descriptions act.

This sums it up for them -

"Yamaha reckon this isn't a bike for beginners.They obviously haven't ridden it.It wouldn't scare a delicate 70 year old with dementia.There's no charisma and as for attitude? It wouldn't retaliate if you shagged it's Mum" :eek:

"The FZ8 falls short by a long way,unless you want an overpriced naked bike that's severely limited.It's slightly cruel pitching it against such opposition,but that's where Yamaha want it to sit"

I'm guessing it didn't exactly win their hearts and minds.....:D

Link to magazine here - New Issue ON SALE NOW!

Last edited:

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
This thread pretty much sums up what others were saying in Rumpole of the Bailey's thread from a few days ago.

The FZ8 is overpriced for its level of performance, and does not stack up against its competition.

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I feel vindicated! Pity, this bike could be so much more.......Mr Yamaha, it's an 800cc bike first produced in 2010, And it can't beat a bunch of bikes that were designed nearly 10 years ago!

rsw81

Keep it Kosher
Reaction score
Visit site
Anybody have a link or pdf of the full article? I'd like to read this as an owner of the Triumph in the article. Thanks.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
What surprised me the most,was it got caned by the Z750,a bike that is considered well outdated and the runt of the litter which also happens to cost nearly 2K less!

Really isn't good enough for a brand new (expensive) bike,that was hyped to the roof and back :spank:

Oh and the wheelie on the front cover is just a 'Pop up' as they couldn't get a sustained wheelie out of it

Last edited:

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Doesn't the 2007 and up FZ6 and Fizzer have faster 1/4 mile times? I was under the impression they did like 11.3x in the quarter. :confused:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I reckon the FZ6 would definitely be quicker than an FZ8, apparently, the FZ8 is hard to get off the line, and doesnt really get going until your at freeway speeds, according to Aussie forum, Bikebiz, who works in a bike shop, and has taken the FZ8 for a decent spin!

I am hoping that someone from Yamaha, is reading all this negative feedback, and that Yamaha realises that the demographic they have aimed this bike at are not impressed! just look at the votes in the other thread, it's about 90% of us, who dont care for this bike....that is disastorous!

Especially when it is a bunch of people who already own Yamaha's, and Yamaha's that this bike is supposed to "replace"....the FZ8 does not replace the FZ6, but it does remind us of how good the FZ6 is, and what great value it is.....expect massive price reductions, or lots of added extra's soon folks!

Either that, or Yamaha is going to end up with a lot of left over FZ8's....

Evitzee

Reaction score
Visit site
Brit cycle magazines have to be viewed through a different prism than most other countries. The British press tend to knock down most things, and this is especially true in the bike press which are obviously run by a younger crowd who are looking for a hooligan experience and where they can stick their finger in the collective eye of the corporations who make the machines. You ALWAYS have to take British views of motorcycles with a healthy dose of skepticism....they'll find one thing wrong with a bike and keep picking on it until they believe it unravels the whole machine. Just my experience ....

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Brit cycle magazines have to be viewed through a different prism than most other countries. The British press tend to knock down most things, and this is especially true in the bike press which are obviously run by a younger crowd who are looking for a hooligan experience and where they can stick their finger in the collective eye of the corporations who make the machines. You ALWAYS have to take British views of motorcycles with a healthy dose of skepticism....they'll find one thing wrong with a bike and keep picking on it until they believe it unravels the whole machine. Just my experience ....

Australian bike mags are normally very subjective, cause the market is pretty small, and the mags dont wanna offend the bike companies....and in the cae of the FZ8...they have not been exactly "glowing" in their praise of this bike...

But, in the FZ8's defense....the FZ6 has had a few bad reviews itself...look at visor down in the US, i only read 2 days ago, that the FZ8 is a replacement for the "dissapointing" FZ6!

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site

I suppose the bikes they say are good must be taken with the same skepticism then? Or is it just the ones they say are bad? :confused:

I must have missed the reviews from outside the UK,that tell me the FZ8 is the next best thing...:rolleyes:

Nick J

Reaction score
Visit site
Kinda makes you wonder what the R8 will be like when Yamaha finally comes out with it. You would think that Yamaha would at least come out with a competitive product.

Kazza

Administrator aka Mrs Prebstar
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
IMO, some of the UK bike journos are the best in the land.

They are right about the bike - Yamaha YOU HAVE STUFFED UP!

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's very ominous that both of our local Yamaha dealers still have their original 2 FZ8's in stock. The salesmen say that FZ6's and their owners "have been coming out of the woodwork", showing up to look at the FZ8.
Nobody's buying, though....

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I think it's very ominous that both of our local Yamaha dealers still have their original 2 FZ8's in stock. The salesmen say that FZ6's and their owners "have been coming out of the woodwork", showing up to look at the FZ8.
Nobody's buying, though....

I went to my local Yammie dealer this week, and the report i got back from the head salesperson, was that not one person i had yet asked about the bike...other than the ne guy who thought it was an FZ1!

Yikes! Looks like there will be some FZ8's at bargain prices soon enough!

:eek:

That will really "help" Yamaha's perilous financial state lots! :(

abraxas

Biker
Reaction score
www.thinkbike.co.za
Ouch, that is really really really bad.

Price alone would scare me off, and 1 out of 10 on a track???

By the time we get done with import tax and currency conversion, it won't sell here at all. Which is a real pity.

Too big too, what are they thinking? Should have gone 400cc for a tame learner bike, then fuel economy would have been a major plus too. INstead they're running a race they're not even getting a podium place :(

If it were my choice, the Z would be an instant winner. It's just a really good bike to have.

Ridgeback

Wakin up the neighbours
Reaction score
Visit site
Ominously there is a new Z750 coming out soon and if it has the same impact as it's big brother,the new Z1000,then we will be looking at a new class leader.

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Ominously there is a new Z750 coming out soon and if it has the same impact as it's big brother,the new Z1000,then we will be looking at a new class leader.

Am looking forward to the new Z750 coming out, loved the stylingof the old one, but is looking a little dated these days...but like the FZ6...Kawasaki have had a great run with this bike...

:thumbup: