Valve Adjustments, have you had it done?

Valve adustment, have you had it done yet?

• Yes, I had it done and did it myself.

Votes: 34 8.9%
  • Yes, I had it done by a shop and it cost me.......

Votes: 36 9.4%
  • No, not yet but soon.

Votes: 311 81.6%

• Total voters

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Just curios how many members have had their valve adjustments done or measured.

Not asking how to do it, but just would like for those folks who had it done to let me know if they did it themselves or if they had a shop do it, and if so, how much did it cost.

Last edited:

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Mine are due at my next major service (24K miles) I'll have a bigger bike (FZ1) by then so I'm afraid I probably won't be able to help much. :(

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
52k miles with no adjustments? Superb, thats impressive for any bike, especially such a high reving one :rockon:

the 24k seems a bit conservative then

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I am up for it in 500 miles. Not sure I'm going to do it right at 24,000 on the dot. I will probably wait until 25 or 26,000. It costs a lot to have a shop do it. And I'm not comfortable doing it myself. It sounds like waiting an extra 1 to 2,000 miles won't be a bad thing (but I could be wrong).

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, in order to save money I sell my bikes and buy a new one prior to any major service that is required. :rolleyes:

S

Shamus McFeeley

I did it just a few days ago, only 1 exhaust valve was tight. Everything else was still in spec.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Still waiting for the member to post that they had it done by some shop, I want to know how much they paid, or how much should it cost.

Nobby

Reaction score
Visit site
Just had mine done as part of the 40,000km service.It (the bill) doesnt say how much it cost for the valve adj alone,but the whole sevice took 4hrs & cost $589 downunder dollars:eek:

Red Wazp

Reaction score
Visit site
Vegas, have you gotton any quotes from your dealer(s)?

I did my FJR at a local shop last year for around 450-500 I think as I had other service completed at that time.

I would suspect it to be less (perhaps not that much) than the Feejeer as it must be easier to get at the FZ motor without all the tupperware of the FJR.

I usually talk to the shop about fluids change, lubing the swingarm and steering bearings and other deeper maintance items while it is in there.

It is a pricey job but at least iy's 24k between major service.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Vegas, have you gotton any quotes from your dealer(s)?

I did my FJR at a local shop last year for around 450-500 I think as I had other service completed at that time.

I would suspect it to be less (perhaps not that much) than the Feejeer as it must be easier to get at the FZ motor without all the tupperware of the FJR.

I usually talk to the shop about fluids change, lubing the swingarm and steering bearings and other deeper maintance items while it is in there.

It is a pricey job but at least iy's 24k between major service.
ion

No, but fortunately I have options, as I don't have to have the local Yamaha shop to do it. There are several independent shops with good reps that will probably do it for much less. For example the shop that changed out my chain, front and rear sprockets plus installed, mounted and balnced a fresh set of of 2Ct's for only $100 labor.

I'm about to get my steering head bearings replaced and my front fork oil swapped out for some heavier weight oil for $300 by another shop.

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not always. As the valve face and valve seats wear, the tolerance between the shim and the cam decreases. If left unadjusted for too long, you can burn a valve. Honda's 3.5L V6 has been known for this too. If the shim wears, you get increased valvetrain noise. In a high revving motor, the valves take the most abuse, so I would think this is totally normal.

youngy

Reaction score
Visit site
You will always find that the clearances close up due to either valve stem stretch or valve or seat wear.

MattyA

Reaction score
Visit site
Just had mine done as part of the 40,000km service.It (the bill) doesnt say how much it cost for the valve adj alone,but the whole sevice took 4hrs & cost $589 downunder dollars:eek:

Holy jesus batman! Screw that. My bike hasnt seen the dealer since i bought it. no way am i payin to have an apprentice have a crack at it.
It a fairly quick job on our bikes and the rest of the service is quite cheap anyway.
I change my oil and filter every 5k and costs me about 75 bucks.

And the buggars stripped the threads on the timing case cover where the belly pan was bolted on when i bought it. I had to spend 5 mins to helicoil that. with peace of mind