Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking about a new touring oriented bike

Hello,

Especially since my fz6 has been parked due to still unknown mechanical issues, I've been thinking about adding a new bike in my stable (I have no plan of getting rid of the fz6). I want something reliable, with good wind protection (my fz6 is naked), affordable, not too heavy and still fun enough to ride, decent range, and at least as much power as the fz6. Full size touring bikes are out of the question, not only would they push the budget too much, but I don't think I'd have much fun on slower turns or wrestling it on some slippery ferry floor or narrow shed for safe overnight parking while touring (with the fz6 I can even grab the fork legs or rear wheel, lift one wheel off the ground and move it around with no problem).

The options I've found so far are (wait for it...) still Yamahas:

1-fzs 1000
    pros:biggest tank, best range, simpler mechanics, cheapest, best value for money, fully adjustable suspension from the factory, best knee angle, least likely to be eye-candy for thieves
    consld age, harder to find good ones, has a choke, heaviest

2-fz8 fazer
    pros:biggest fairing, better fuel economy (at least compared to the fz1), lowest power (so lower chance of doing stupid things) but still more low and mid end than the fz6
    cons: harder to find here, no adjustable suspension, small tank and range, probably most expensive (or similar to the fz1)

3-fz1 fazer
    pros:best frame and suspension, lots of them offered for sale
    cons:worst range and consumption

All of them would probably get taller windscreens and lowered pegs, and surely permanent side luggage racks with medium cases.

For number 2 I'd probably swap the forks or at least put some emulators inside.

For both 2 and 3 I'd probably chop the tank to extend it at least 4-6 liters.

Any opinions on this?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Thinking about a new touring oriented bike

With the FJR being out over 14 years, there's plenty of older FJRs out there a bit cheaper than anything you posted above new.

Pull off the side bags, and its considerably more flickable. With 145 HP, it'll get up there easily W/O winding it out (like the FZ6)
    About the same mileage as the FZ6 too.

Now the FZ1 is supposed to be a VERY FAST machine, but mileage is lower, no bags, chain drive, etc...

If my FZ got wrecked, etc, I'd probably have another (2016) FJR in the stable..

My old 04 FJR (and it will power wheelie!):

Loaded for a road trip:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-27-2017 at 05:54 AM.

3. Thanks bigborer, FB400 thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer, darius, fazil liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't get any of them new.

It'd probably cost me:
    -2500 for a fzs1000, 03-04
    -3500-4500 for a fz1, 09-11
    -4000-5000 for a fz8, 10-12

A fz9 tracer would also be nice, but the fairing is very small and it is still rare and pricey (6500+).

About the fjr, the 291kg wet weight scares me a lot, and so do the stories of it dropping sideways at the smallest low speed tilt. Also, most people who have them tour them a lot, so mileages are usually very high for used ones. Side bags will be permanent fixtures on that bike.

Other option would be a cbr1100xx, with FI, but that's still heavy.

For the type of touring I'd do (mainly eastern Europe, little highway) a huge touring bike nearing 300kg would likely be a bit out of it's element.

5. Thanks silasbr thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Test ride an FJR especially if you do any significant amount of riding 2 up. Even a new demo while considering an older model used one.

The clutch with heavy flywheel and torque will feel on the opposite end of the spectrum to the FZ6. Easy and strong pull vs snatchy short pull.

Don't be too concerned about the weight. It all falls away as soon as you start moving and you'd get used to it.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darius View Post
    Test ride an FJR especially if you do any significant amount of riding 2 up. Even a new demo while considering an older model used one.

The clutch with heavy flywheel and torque will feel on the opposite end of the spectrum to the FZ6. Easy and strong pull vs snatchy short pull.

Don't be too concerned about the weight. It all falls away as soon as you start moving and you'd get used to it.
    Plus one ^^^.

I never dropped my FJR. the FZ's been on the ground at least 5 times...$600 a drop..

The bags DO come off and the bike does handle extremely well. That engine will go well beyond 200,000 miles.
    The hard core touring guys easily have twice that mileage.

Your choice of course but it IS a SPORT/TOURING bike..

BTW, there's as many, if not more, Tip Over guards, bag guards, etc for the FJR...

Most of the owners are older guys W/O the strength of a younger rider.. I'm 58 and wouldn't
    think twice about owning another..
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-27-2017 at 12:46 PM.

bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of my riding is 2up. On a "new" sports-touring bike, it'd be 80-90%.

Testing a FJR isn't a bad idea, at least I'd know what I'd be missing (or the bullet I'd be dodging).

@TownsendsFJR1300 what kind of roads do you ride, and more exactly where do you park?

On flat roads I'm sure there'd be no issues handling a heavy beast, but take this for instance:

Thinking about a new touring oriented bike-photo_2017-07-28_00-07-37-jpg

This is the back yard of a hotel, where I had to park inside that storage shed, slaloming between construction supplies, tools and beer and juice crates. To get into the backyard I had to go through 2 trees, at a 15-20cm level difference from the street, while the street was covered in gravel and sand. Now, I'm no power lifter but with 350kg leg presses and 45kg bent over single handed dumbbell rows, I think I'm at least stronger than your average guy, regardless of age. Even so, there's no way I'd be able to muscle a fjr through stuff like that without a high chance of dropping it. The fz6 was no problem to get there.

Every time I go somewhere I ask the guys at the reception "I want to park my bike safely, would the street front be ok?". And many times they say "well... not really", and offer some shed or storage area like the one in the picture. Maybe I tend to focus on the half empty side too much, but the less good parts of the trips must also be taken into account, not only the nice open roads.

9. Likes Cloggy liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

When I had the FJR, we rode to the Smokie Mountains. Been on the "Dragon, Cherohola, etc, MANY times with that bike.
    I suspect I could ride "it" faster on the FZ6, lighter, more flickable and a wider RPM range (14K vs 9K).

As for parking, all my machines are in the garage. On road trips, we try to park outside our room (in the lot).
    I did have an alarm (Gorilla, top of the line) on all my "sport / touring, touring bikes".

Parking in the grass, either a 1/2" piece of plywood under the stand will work or they make smaller kick stand pads.
    They also make "attachable" pads that clamp to your kick stand pad.

I don't do anymore LD rides, local or trailer the FZ.

My friend and I, when getting on the interstate ramp, would often crank it up (briefly) to 125, then slow down a bunch for interstate traffic.

1/4 mile stats show the FJR just slightly faster than the FZ6 so it's no slouch...The latest FJRs have different mapping modes(mine didn't)
    so the newer bikes have the best of both worlds..

You'd be very surprised riding any of the FJRs. I also had an '04 G0ldwing, very comfy, but not nearly the fun of the FJR...

10 years ago, Cherohala Skyway:

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-27-2017 at 04:40 PM.

11. Thanks Ohendo thanked for this post
    Likes Ohendo, Monica A, Cloggy, fazil liked this post
    bigborer (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You know what? I did think a bit about it and it actually would make sense, especially as I'd keep the fz6 alog side it.

Gen1 seems the most attractive, because it seems the lightest and sportiest.

More so, it'd do the job right off the box, with no gas tank hacks or other work.

Biggest downside would be that it would probably feel day and night different compared to the fz6, and still worse than a fz1/fz8/fzs1000, but none of those 3 would probably feel as nimble as my naked fz6 (sub 200kg wet) anyways.

On a side note, I showed my GF some pictures of the fjr . Her reaction? "Wow that looks sooo comfortable in the back. And the bike looks nice overall as well. Perhaps I'd be able to enjoy sitting on the bike for more than a couple of hours". LOL

I'll do a bit more thinking, but maybe I'll award myself one later this year or early 2018 if I finish some personal and work projects

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put 90,000 miles on an 04 FJR before a Deer hit me and killed the bike. Rode the FJR on all kinds of roads and conditions all over the western USA. Test ride one of you can, they are a solid rocket ship. Very fun, fast bike. Yes it's bigger than the FZ6 but it can dance quite well. It's fun to have bikes that are not close to the same, choice is good.

Burning fossil fuel and loving it!!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was good for about 8 hours on the interstate (sitting, stop for fuel 150-200 miles/stretch legs).

Once up in mountains, we'd put well over 200 miles a day riding the twisties, etc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast