Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 256 of 257 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257 LastLast
Results 2,551 to 2,560 of 2561
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: New member welcome thread..

Welcome Stubbz. Have fun reading through the threads, there is a wealth of information here.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

Vrrroooooom! New member welcome thread.. Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new members!

@Stubbz Your front tire looks like a Bridgestone BT-020. There is a date stamp on those tires that you should check because if that is an original tire/s you'll want to change them before you do any freeway or technical riding. the reason I ask is that is the same BT-020 my factory 06 had and I rarely see that tire anymore.
    New member welcome thread..-img_2891-jpg
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

3. Likes Ohendo liked this post
    JimP

I started a new member thread ("new member, old bike"), but checking in here too.

5. Likes Motogiro, Ohendo liked this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    new members!

@Stubbz Your front tire looks like a Bridgestone BT-020. There is a date stamp on those tires that you should check because if that is an original tire/s you'll want to change them before you do any freeway or technical riding. the reason I ask is that is the same BT-020 my factory 06 had and I rarely see that tire anymore.
    New member welcome thread..-img_2891-jpg

Here is a pic of my tire date stamp, is there some form of recall or issues they had with these tires?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New member welcome thread..-img_3017-jpg  

7. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Vrrroooooom! New member welcome thread.. Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stubbz View Post
    Here is a pic of my tire date stamp, is there some form of recall or issues they had with these tires?
    No known recall on the tire.
    That stamp says the tire was manufactured in the 4th week of 2008. That tire is almost 10 years old. Although tires don't turn into pumpkins at a specific time, it is a safety concern when tires reach the 6 year old mark. That tire will probably be fine but.... the compounds on a street tire are generally more critical and effected by age. This is largely do to the type of duty, tires are designed for and the inherent degradation of those compounds over time as well as exposure to element and light.

I would not recommend going hard on these tires nor expect their rating to meet specifications because of their age. They are almost 4 years beyond the standard recommendation for age.
    If they spent their life in a mild environment they may be fine. I would examine them for any dryness and hardness.
    These bikes can do the neighborhood of 150 mph which you probably don't want to do on old rubber.
    Be safe and again welcome to our great family!
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

It's all good! New member welcome thread.. trepetti's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

That stamp says the tire was manufactured in the 4th week of 2008. That tire is almost 10 years old. Although tires don't turn into pumpkins at a specific time, it is a safety concern when tires reach the 6 year old mark. That tire will probably be fine but.... the compounds on a street tire are generally more critical and effected by age. This is largely do to the type of duty, tires are designed for and the inherent degradation of those compounds over time as well as exposure to element and light.

I would not recommend going hard on these tires nor expect their rating to meet specifications because of their age. They are almost 4 years beyond the standard recommendation for age.
    If they spent their life in a mild environment they may be fine. I would examine them for any dryness and hardness.
    These bikes can do the neighborhood of 150 mph which you probably don't want to do on old rubber.
    Change the tires. If replacing them is a mistake, its a GOOD mistake!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    2005 FZ6 - FZ1 bar, Killernoodle clutch lever, Puig windscreen, Woodcraft sliders, BD43 headlight mod, Watsen LED signals, 2-Wheels levers, Givi tank bag and topcase, Galfer SS brake lines, LED pod lights, Motodynamic tail light, Grip Puppies

10. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks I had the exact same feeling about the tires myself because of age, I will likely be replacing them this season anyhow but I don't go hard in corners like I used to either, regardless it's a good idea to change them being as old as they are, I have checked them for dry cracks and surprised they aren't yet but still need to be changed for sure.

12. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello, New to the forum. Looking forward to checking it out. Looks like lots of good info here.

14. Likes darius liked this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys I am new to the forums. I just bought my first bike its a 2004 FZ6. It has 24,500 miles, and I have no maintenance record, the previous owner had the bike for 3 months and had no information about what’s been done. He gave me plugs and an air filter when I got it so those are on my list.

I changed the oil yesterday, and have plans to clean and lube the chain next. Anything else I should look into?

Thanks and nice to meet you guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. Likes darius liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good looking 2004. Welcome to the forum. Nothing to look for as the FZ is a reliable bike. There are some known issues that can cause poor performance and running, but as long as the bike is working well...just enjoy it.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

Page 256 of 257 FirstFirst ... 156206246254255256257 LastLast