Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Monica A (OP)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Not my shame. but I'll share

So yesterday, Hubby & I decided to play hooky from work. (I fibbed I had a medical appt - bad idea) It was our baby's 20th birthday. He doesn't have class on Friday this semester, so we decided to invite him along for a birthday ride. We were about 5 miles into the twisties. This is my son's and my 4th year riding street. I know this route really well. I've ridden it many times. This was my son's 2nd time. We warned him to watch the curves because they are deceptive. If it's labeled 15 go 20-25 max. Etc. Hubby riding in front, son next, then me. I came up to the 15mph curve and slowed to 20. As I came around the curve I saw a dirt cloud, then I saw my son's SV650 facing me on it's side on the shoulder. Found my son laying in the ditch. I screamed into intercom for my hubby but he was too far away. I figured he'd see we weren't behind him and turn around. Parked, took off my gloves, helmet, ear plugs - which seemed like it took an eternity to do. I could hear my son moaning so I knew he was conscious. We are out of cell range at this point. Some nice gentlemen that were out deer hunting stopped to see if we needed help. One was a retired EMT so that was great too. After a quick check from head to toe all the injuries we found were contusions to both knees and road rash on his wrist where his leathers had pulled free from his glove. Not a mark on his helmet. The shoulder was thick soft sand which helped in a way. Unfortunately, there was also some big boulders and a road marker.

He could walk (ish), so hubby parked the crashed bike safely out of the way, son jumped on back of hubby's bike, and rode to the closest town. Son and I hung out on the grass outside. I got a drink and ibruprofen for son. The proprietor was nice and gave me a bag of ice from soda machine. I made him as comfortable as possible, and hubby rode home to get our SUV and cargo trailer. At one point, I walked him over to the bathroom. Across the street some men were building a new barn. A man walked over and introduced himself as the local fire chief. He asked what happened, we explained, and he check my son said he was OK but needed to be seen my medical as soon as possible.

I had a discussion with my son to determine what happened as soon as drugs kicked in and he was comfortable.

Accident Analysis:
    He came into the lefthand corner slowly (20-30mph) and felt he was too far into the inside of the corner so he accelerated. He hit gravel on shoulder at this point and front end washed out. He hit the soft sand and he was down. He kept sliding and the bike hit a boulder which sent my son over the handle bars (where he sustained his knee injuries). He remembers seeing his bike tumbling front over back next to him then flipping over him and landing next to him.

Gear Analysis:
    Not a scratch on his helmet - anywhere.
    Not a scratch on his Scorpion leather gloves - anywhere
    Not a scuff on his leather jacekt (he was wearing a two-piece full-zip Alpinestarts leather suit)
    Only scuff on the pants were where his knees hit the handlebars (we think)

So the moral to this story is ALWAYS WEAR FULL GEAR!!

ER doc confirmed if he wasn't wearing full gear he wouldn't have faired so well.

The patient is on crutches to keep weight off knees as they heal. He is wrapping them with ace bandages to keep swelling down and for support

Mom's condition:
    Shakey but recovering. It's tough to come across your son laying in a ditch knowing he just crashed. It could have been much worse. The fire chief told me they pulled 6 guys off this same curve last year dead. Feeling blessed but still concerned. It was a record 1 hour 45 minute trip to ER. Usually you feel good if it's under 3 hours. They considered him a trauma so we got right in.

Bike's condition:
    Totalled. Forks bent. Front tire is straight and handlebars are at a full-lock to the left. Front tire flat - rim probably bent. Muffler pulled lose from pipe. Many misc bits and pieces bent or busted. Tank has a huge bent on right side. Not sure about the frame yet. Hubby will look at it closer today. Miraculously the windscreen is untouched. Weird.

Overall this could have been much worse. I always cringe when I see people riding without gear. This is a good example of why we always wear gear.
    Silly boys, sportbikes are for girls...

2007 Yamaha FZ6 - Faster Blue one - sold, 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Not my shame. but I'll share

Sorry to hear he had a wash out. Glad to hear he is okay. Minor injuries teach valuable lessons. (trust me I'm one to talk) Hope he heals up quick. =)
    Bd43 dual headlight mod -Air box mod - Waterproof 12 volt plug - Frame sliders

3. Thanks Monica A thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

+1 ^^^ .

Hope he heals up well. YOU take care too....
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

5. Thanks Monica A thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad he was not hurt really badly! Can't even imagine what you were feeling coming around that corner and seeing that! Hope he heals up quickly
    Sherry
    2007 FZ6

7. Thanks Monica A thanked for this post
    The Toy Lady Not my shame. but I'll share lytehouse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know ALL too well what you are going through! My son hit a moving truck 10 years back, on his bicycle, so he didn't fair as well.
    Still has issues with his leg & hip from time to time.

I'm SO happy to know that your boy is going to okay....
    "A heart is not judged by how much you love,
    but by how much you are loved by others." ~ OZ

2015 BMW 700GS
    2009 FZ1 ~ sold
    2007 FZ6 ~sold

9. Thanks Monica A, Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Say, Monica, what highway/road was that spill? Just curious.

11. Likes Motogiro, raja777m liked this post
    Monica A (OP)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post
    Say, Monica, what highway/road was that spill? Just curious.
    Highway 49 We were just past Sierraville heading to Downieville. You probably know what corner I'm talking about. Locals call it "dead man's curves". I got some pics of the bike I'll post up and Hubby got pics of crash site I'll post too.

Greg and I hung out at the General Store in Sierraville while hubby got SUV & trailer to haul my bike and the crashed bike home. Took us 4 hours to do that. Ugh! They were great to us. If you are ever riding through there, stop & patronize it. Great people!!!

Now we are down to logistics - he has a stick shift, can't drive that. He'll probably borrow our SUV until he can drive his car again or him and I will swap cars. Mine Volvo is easy to drive. Whatever is easiest for him to get into. He's pretty sore all over today.
    No collision on the bike so, do we part it out or convert it into a full-time track bike. Hubby thinks the read sub-frame is bent. Right front from fork tube is bent, left looks just bent outwards. Front faring assembly is bent too. Rear rim is gouged up pretty bad in one spot but didn't break the bead so the tire still has air.

Crash didn't keep the boy from going out to his favorite steakhouse for dinner. His sister was freaking out of course. Calmed her down eventually. Momma had a ****tail with dinner.

2007 Yamaha FZ6 - Faster Blue one - sold, 2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050, 2014 Triumph Street Triple R

13. Thanks Motogiro, motojoe122, FinalImpact thanked for this post
    Moto Demi-God Not my shame. but I'll share Hellgate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Yikes! I'm glad to hear he is more or less okay.
    Pete

15. Thanks Monica A thanked for this post
    Monica A (OP)
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

I'll attempt to upload pics

Not my shame. but I'll share-dsc04897-jpg

The bike is currently strapped down in our cargo trailer, so the front tire is held straight with bike in chalk. This pic shows how tweaked the handlebars are.

Not my shame. but I'll share-dsc04900-jpg

Not my shame. but I'll share-dsc04891-jpg

Front faring a little tweaked, eh?

Not my shame. but I'll share-2015-08-29-10-09-28-jpg

This shows where he went off the road (see tire marks in sand) and where he landed. Estimate it at 50 feet

Not my shame. but I'll share-2015-08-29-10-06-19-jpg

Close up of headlight. Chunk is missing.
    Not my shame. but I'll share-2015-08-28-12-03-11-jpg

The boy laid out on the grass. Helmets were keeping his knees in a comfortable position. Being a true young person of his time, he was able to text, etc. about his crash to all his friends.

I hope I got labels correct with pic. If not, I hope you can figure it out. I think you all can being as were all familiar with bikes and all.

17. Likes lytehouse liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! Not my shame. but I'll share Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad everyone is relatively okay! Glad you're okay cuz as a parent you had to imagine what that dust cloud was and then to see your baby in the ditch.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

19. Thanks Monica A thanked for this post

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast