Thanks Thanks:  8
Likes Likes:  13
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Anyone have a slight clicking feeling at low speed in 1-2nd gear?

Some pic's of the sprockets would be nice to see.

As the OEM chain has no master link, (it's continuous) you have to remove the swingarm bolt and move the swing arm back just enough to slip the chain in. As stated, it's VERY GOOD chain.

Do NOT use a clip in master link.

Either invest in a good chain link tool (mine was over $100 from DID-fool proof).

You didn't post how many miles on the bike / chain.

**Mine, the PO lubed the chain ONCE in 4,500 miles. It was toast at 12,000 miles... Slightly worn sprockets and chain WILL CLICK.

If any doubt, change them, it's a bunch cheaper than throwing the chain thru engine, wrecking ,etc.

Most importantly, make sure play is at 2" total up and down on the center-stand...

** When re-installing the front sprocket cover, there's TWO WIRES that run to the back of the stator case. It's REAL EASY to pinch them when you put the sprocket cover back on, so pay attention.
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-30-2018 at 11:30 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

2. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Agreed, photos of the sprockets would be helpful. We're looking for cupping of the sprocket teeth or other signs of unusual wear.

The OEM wear limit for the chain is 239.3mm for 15 lengths of chain. Remove the slack in the chain by rotating the tire and measure.

I have no problem using a clip master link, provided that it is safety wired.

Make sure your rear wheel is in alignment. An out of aligned rear wheel will cause the chain to make contact with the sides of the chain guide.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

twobob1 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Follow on from possible clicking, Your opinions please..

As title, it seems that on a really smooth surface like a new car park or fresh tarmac I can feel a slight clicking as the chain is going round only at very low rolling speeds (with gear engaged, if I depress clutch then it goes..I think) Hard to explain its not really a knock although close to one. Just wondered if it was normal. My chain is well lubed and correctly tightened. Not had a big bike before just wondered if it was normal. Its barely noticeable but at low speeds on smooth stuff can just about feel it.

^
    was my original post (I thought it was correctly tightened I'm not sure now if it is...)

I have taken the sprocket cover off and cleaned the gunk below are pictures and a vid of the chain condition and sprockets. questions id like some help with are:

Does the chain play look ok? tight or loose?

Do the teeth from what you can tell look ok (its done 27k and I was told it had new chain and sprocket) The chain was filthy and I cleaned it up.

The front sprocket has no play in it form what I can tell but I haven't checked the tightness.

Do I need new chain and sprockets do you think?

Many thanks in advance.

https://youtu.be/pOFAPxBiigM

Anyone have a slight clicking feeling at low speed in 1-2nd gear?-img_7478-jpgAnyone have a slight clicking feeling at low speed in 1-2nd gear?-img_7479-jpgAnyone have a slight clicking feeling at low speed in 1-2nd gear?-img_7480-jpgAnyone have a slight clicking feeling at low speed in 1-2nd gear?-img_7481-jpgAnyone have a slight clicking feeling at low speed in 1-2nd gear?-img_7482-jpgAnyone have a slight clicking feeling at low speed in 1-2nd gear?-img_7483-jpg
    2009 FZ6 (Power blue) Stock exhaust drilled, Dual headlight mod, Iridium spark plugs, GIpro gear indicator, Front mudguard extender, Radiator guard, OEM belly pan, Battlax tyres, FZ8 clutch slave arm. (Tried to keep everything else factory looking's I don't like visual mods much)

twobob1 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did a follow on thread with the requested pictures and a video link.
    Thanks.

http://www.600riders.com/forum/garag...ns-please.html
    2009 FZ6 (Power blue) Stock exhaust drilled, Dual headlight mod, Iridium spark plugs, GIpro gear indicator, Front mudguard extender, Radiator guard, OEM belly pan, Battlax tyres, FZ8 clutch slave arm. (Tried to keep everything else factory looking's I don't like visual mods much)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Follow on from possible clicking, Your opinions please..

Please keep this on one thread..

Anyway, the front sprocket is aftermarket and is toast, extremely worn. That alone will make noises.

The chain is too tight, should be, 2" or 50MM's TOTAL up and down. I saw about 22mms. Measure at the bottom of the plastic swing arm protector and "zero out" your ruler on ONE PIN, it's a bit more accurate.

Rear sprocket doesn't look nearly as bad but someone fibbed about those sprockets.

I'd replace everything before the chain goes thru the engine...
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

7. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Likes major tom liked this post
    twobob1 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thankyou so much! I can't find my post anywhere could you move it back to the original thread? not sure how to.

Do you recommend a complete new chain and sprockets?
    Not gonna ride it until I get this sorted.

twobob1 (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I saw the photos in the other thread - that front sprocket is tired. A loose chain will cause the teeth to get thin. You'll see how bad it is when you are able to compare that sprocket to a new one. And of course, a loose chain will make all types of racket as it hits the chain guard, slaps against the swingarm, and loads /unloads.

DID makes good stuff. Steel sprockets will last the life of the chain...aluminum is lighter but you may need to change the sprockets after 10,000 miles. After it's all installed check the chain regularly - after every ride - to make adjustments during the break-in (stretch) phase, and then every 1,000 miles after it's stabilized. With an o-ring chain you don't need to lube the crap out of it, just keep it clean.
    Last edited by Gary in NJ; 06-04-2018 at 10:05 AM.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Custom Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

11. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's about the best chain you can buy (that's what I run). Sprockets look fine too (although I stick with OEM)…

You should be good with that set up...
    Scott

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just responded on the other thread... Your choice in that kit is fine...

(that's about the best chain you can buy).
    Scott

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast