Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    bricksrheavy (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What fresh hell is this? - Whining engine noise, video included

Hello everybody,

Like the title says, during the last 5-6 days engine developed a whining noise that seems to come and go. I have a hard time figuring out where it's coming from but I suspect a stator problem.

I'm planing on checking everything this saturday but I'm hoping in the meantime someone might recognise the sound and steer me in the right direction.
    - Valve clearances checked less than 1000 miles ago
    - Oil&OEM filter changed ~2000 miles ago
    - Timing OEM chain&tensioner changed ~1500 miles ago

EDIT;
    Bike is an '06 model, 31k miles on the clock
    https://youtu.be/wft3qoBnT1s
    Last edited by bricksrheavy; 01-04-2018 at 07:39 AM.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: What fresh hell is this? - Whining engine noise, video included

This wasn't the engine that was torn with a transmission noise was it? I forgot who the original OP was of that issue..

Anyway, either a stethoscope, or long screw driver (held up against your ear) should help you narrow it down...

I've never heard a similar noise, but definitely engine revolution related. I gather no popped engine codes?

Engine oil is good (not flooded with fuel)?
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

3. Thanks bricksrheavy thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro liked this post
    bricksrheavy (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    This wasn't the engine that was torn with a transmission noise was it? I forgot who the original OP was of that issue..

Anyway, either a stethoscope, or long screw driver (held up against your ear) should help you narrow it down...

I've never heard a similar noise, but definitely engine revolution related. I gather no popped engine codes?

Engine oil is good (not flooded with fuel)?
    - No, not the guy who tore his engine apart
    - No engine codes
    - Gonna check the oil, interesting you thought of that - are you thinking loss of lubrication due to thinned out/diluted oil?

5. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! What fresh hell is this? - Whining engine noise, video included Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bricksrheavy View Post
    - No, not the guy who tore his engine apart
    - No engine codes
    - Gonna check the oil, interesting you thought of that - are you thinking loss of lubrication due to thinned out/diluted oil?
    Still sounds like it's an engine chain related noise. Dont run it anymore till you investigate. Recheck that CCT even it it's new..

Sent from Moto's Motorola
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

7. Thanks bricksrheavy thanked for this post
    Super Member What fresh hell is this? - Whining engine noise, video included zixaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't sound the same as when my stator went out, but it's still a possibility. Easy enough to check the resistance on those coils.

More likely (and much scarier) is that it's something with the cam chain, since you messed with that recently.

9. Thanks bricksrheavy thanked for this post
    bricksrheavy (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, after having my 3rd long Screwdriver this morning, (and starting to think Townsends might have pulled a fast one on me 'cause all this drinking isn't getting me anywhere with fixing the bike) I realized he might be referring to an ACTUAL screwdriver so I took one and waddled off to the garage;

- the sound seems to be coming from somewhere directly below the gas tank and in the middle of the engine, placing the ear/screwdriver on either side of the engine's side covers and on the chain tensioner itself didn't seem to amplify the noise
    - the oil seems (smells) ok

Gonna lift the tank and check further tomorrow
    Last edited by bricksrheavy; 01-05-2018 at 01:57 AM.

11. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    bricksrheavy (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Afterthought;
    One of the 8 screws holding the airbox cover was stripped a while ago (I still put it back in), and I had removed the cover 2-3 weeks ago to put a new battery in.

Is it possible that the engine is sucking so much air on the intake that the cover is whistling on lower RPMs?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

You do use a real long handle screwdriver to help pinpoint noises. (Wasn't messing with ya- )

Re the oil, yes, exactly... A leaky injector, diluting the engine oil with fuel does happen. I had that happen with my FZ years ago. Changed the oil and the "making oil" that smelled like fuel stopped on it's own(perhaps my added dose of Ring Free helped).

Cliff, I think the noise he's referring to is the whine, like an alternator on an older car that whines when it fails. Brick can you confirm?

As for the intake cover, no that's not the noise. Even with that cover off, you wouldn't get that whine.

It sounds like a roller bearing failure whining when revving. Crankshaft/camshaft are all solid bearings...

The clutch assembly has some roller and needle bearing's as does the starter Sprague (sp?).

**If you hold in the clutch, does the noise go away???**

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-05-2018 at 03:15 AM.
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

14. Thanks bricksrheavy thanked for this post
    bricksrheavy (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You do use a real long handle screwdriver to help pinpoint noises. (Wasn't messing with ya- )
    Hehehe, I know

Cliff, I think the noise he's referring to is the whine, like an alternator on an older car that whines when it fails. Brick can you confirm?
    Yes, it's a distinct, almost like a supercharger whine

The clutch assembly has some roller and needle bearing's as does the starter Sprague (sp?).

**If you hold in the clutch, does the noise go away???**
    The noise is the same whether I pull the clutch in or not

16. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

There was a thread about disconnecting/removing the clutch assembly, to isolate it from the engine. So you could run the engine W/O the clutch spinning one of the transmission shafts (just to isolate the entire transmission).

If you can't find anything prior, you may want to pull the clutch cover off and do some at least inspecting (potentially sloppy clutch hub)..
    @FinalImpact may have some thoughts. He should respond.

I kinda doubt it, but check (with your screw driver) around the top of the valve cover, where the cam chain is. I'm wondering if possibly the cam chain guide, (attached to the valve cover), maybe have come loose and is rubbing against the chain.

Dumping the oil (in a clean container) may reveal something amiss. (Being fairly new oil, you can filter and re-use it).
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-05-2018 at 04:21 AM.
    Scott

18. Thanks bricksrheavy thanked for this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast