Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Newbie question: What tools do I need for an oil change and chain adjustment?

Ah everything is so smooth now with the new chain and sprocket!

Just a quick question, I noticed an almost whistling /siren-like sound occasionally that seems to occur when deaccelerating at highway speeds. I thought it was a siren at first but paid more attention my second trip and can't quite make out what it is. Is there any sort of chain breaking in period that would cause this? The mechanic also replaced my rear brake pads if that matters?

It's all good! Newbie question: What tools do I need for an oil change and chain adjustment? trepetti's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Newbie question: What tools do I need for an oil change and chain adjustment?

Post a video of the sound if you can. Does it happen at slower speeds? Maybe not as loud? Check to make sure the chain is not too tight. As Scott and others have mentioned, when you get it right it looks too loose. But itís not. Too much tension and you will damage the output bearing on the transmission. The whine might be coming from the bearing.

Maybe put the bike on the center stand and take a video of the slack. Move the chain up and down to show the slack, then post the video here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    2005 FZ6 - FZ1 bar, Killernoodle clutch lever, Puig windscreen, Woodcraft sliders, BD43 headlight mod, Watsen LED signals, 2-Wheels levers, Givi tank bag and topcase, Galfer SS brake lines, LED pod lights, Motodynamic tail light, Grip Puppies

Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Newbie question: What tools do I need for an oil change and chain adjustment?

Good call about the slack, I will check in the morning when the light is out. I gave the mechanic a copy of the manual and told him it's looser than most bikes at 45 - 55 mM. Speaking of the manual it is a big ambigous in terms of where to take the measurement, is the 1" in the diagram from the front sprocket? I've also been told to determine halfway point from rear and front sprocket and take the slack measurement there.

Senior Member Newbie question: What tools do I need for an oil change and chain adjustment? zixaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    Good call about the slack, I will check in the morning when the light is out. I gave the mechanic a copy of the manual and told him it's looser than most bikes at 45 - 55 mM. Speaking of the manual it is a big ambigous in terms of where to take the measurement, is the 1" in the diagram from the front sprocket? I've also been told to determine halfway point from rear and front sprocket and take the slack measurement there.
    Measure at the point of maximum play, which will be about halfway between the contact points with the sprockets. On the S1 bikes at least, this is conveniently right at the back end of the plastic chain guard on the swingarm, and with the proper 50mm of play, the chain just contacts the swingarm when you push it up. Makes quick checks simple in between more meticulous ones. Just make sure to do the check on the center stand and not the side stand.

A chain on the tight side of that range will make a whining noise, but the loose side of that range gives you annoying drive train slack and jerkier on/off throttle response, so pick your poison.

5. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

This ^^^. TWO INCHES TOTAL (NOT 1").

Put a tape measure at the end, (under the swing arm) of the plastic chain guard.

Slowly spin the rear wheel and find the tightest spot. Now, take your tape measure and line it up perpendicular with that link PIN. Push that pin UP (medium pressure)
    and center your ruler on the pin. Now, push the chain down reading the ruler. THAT is you chain play. You'll find (on the center stand), the chain just about touches
    the lower swing arm guard.

And NO, the whining is NOT normal, the chain is too tight.. Seems your mechanic didn't bother reading it...

Keep it well lubed and it'll stay quiet.

Expect one to two adjustments as it breaks in (mine took one adjustment).

Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the help guys, another thing I've noticed (and I thought this was a solid mechanic, he did my tire install so well...) is at first gear or at a stop the engine will just die and the check engine light will come out. Fortunately it restarts upon clicking the starter button but could there be anything that mechanic did during a chain/sprocket and rear brake change to cause this? Initially I thought it could be oil issues since I just did my first oil change ever a few weeks ago or perhaps a lack of warm up as the weather abruptley turned cold this week. I did replace my battery earlier this year so don't think its that. Just not sure if it the coincidence is due to the weather or something the mechanic did....

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The oil change and chain./sprocket change would not have affected the idle.

Your warm idle should be about 1,300 RPMs. If too low, the adjustment screw is in-between the left side of the tank and the frame
    (a star shaped screw). A phillips head screw driver turned clockwise will raise it..

Is the check engine light staying on after it's running?

Senior Member Newbie question: What tools do I need for an oil change and chain adjustment? zixaq's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is this only happening when the bike is cold?

Does it also happen in neutral?

What's your idle RPM?

Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the chain slack is right on the tight side at 45 mm.

The engine will die while I am in first gear, another forum mentioned throttle body sync on another forum?

Idle RPM is 1300 - 1500.

Also noticed while in idle the chain is slowly moving which I don't this has happened before or maybe I didn't notice.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    Well the chain slack is right on the tight side at 45 mm.

The engine will die while I am in first gear, another forum mentioned throttle body sync on another forum?

Idle RPM is 1300 - 1500. A little high, it can be lowered..

Also noticed while in idle the chain is slowly moving which I don't this has happened before or maybe I didn't notice.
    This is normal..

I know the bike is new to you.

Has the engine ever run correctly (no issues) and if so, how long?

You mentioned you changed the battery. Re-check the nut tightness. If loose, they CAN cause issues.

Throttle body sync. It certainly can't hurt but I doubt it's your issue. It'd run the same, (crappy) all the time...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-12-2017 at 10:54 AM.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast