Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Newbie question: What tools do I need for an oil change and chain adjustment?

Thanks for the advice on torque wrench storage. Managed to do the oil change today with no problem (thanks for all the great advice, love this forum!) Putting off the chain adjustment until next week until I get the 32 mM socket and Torque wrench but I am curious what do I use to loosen the axel nut? A ratchet?

Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Newbie question: What tools do I need for an oil change and chain adjustment?

Scared the hell out of me thinking I installed the wrong filter but got the 303 and it was a smooth install and I like the bolt on the end. I also have the K&N air filter which seems to be performing well so I am all on board K&N

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johnson View Post
    Do you have a link for this DID O-Ring with stock size?

Do a search on-line for the cheapest price, but you want an 118 link (the shop can cut off additional links easily), 530 size chain.

This is what I have (replaced a different chain with this under warranty by DID):

DID 530 ZVMX X-Ring Chain | MotoSport

Here's the stock OEM chain (no master link-continuous but you can install a ML if need be):
    https://www.partzilla.com/product/ya...6021cfd4bb0322

This chain, ^^^, is also a very good chain I wouldn't hesitate to use... The stock chain, maintained, will last a very long time...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-23-2017 at 05:10 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can use a ratchet. A typical 3/8" driver is 8' to 12" long, so it might take some effort to get it going. If you stand on the end of the driver and just bounce a bit at the knees, it will go. The correct tool would be an 18-20" breaker bar.

Is your 32mm socket 3/8" or 1/2" drive? If it's 1/2" that driver should be long enough for you to get it going with arm strength.

I agree on the DID X-Ring chain. The only maintenance required is to keep it clean and lightly lubed.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stumbled upon this in another thread and leaning it:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00E0IKF2G...=3IZ9LXFZPAYZ0

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice on torque wrench storage. Managed to do the oil change today with no problem (thanks for all the great advice, love this forum!) Putting off the chain adjustment until next week until I get the 32 mM socket and Torque wrench but I am curious what do I use to loosen the axle nut? A ratchet?
    Either a socket or a box wrench would work fine... Your just holding the axle from rotating.

Make sure you adjust per factory spec's TO THE LETTER..

TWO INCHES TOTAL up and down at the tightest point while on the CC.

Preferably with the chain clean and lubed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
    You can use a ratchet. A typical 3/8" driver is 8' to 12" long, so it might take some effort to get it going. If you stand on the end of the driver and just bounce a bit at the knees, it will go. The correct tool would be an 18-20" breaker bar.

Is your 32mm socket 3/8" or 1/2" drive? If it's 1/2" that driver should be long enough for you to get it going with arm strength.

I agree on the DID X-Ring chain. The only maintenance required is to keep it clean and lightly lubed.
    Seems like a good value. Why do you think you need a chain and sprockets? Have you measured the distance between the links and are they out of spec? The spec is over a 15-link chain section the service limit is 239.3 mm (9.42 in). Are the sprockets worn/cupped?
    Last edited by Gary in NJ; 10-25-2017 at 12:06 PM.
    Lifelong student of motorcycling. Current bikes: Naked '05 FZ6, LS650 Café Racer, DRZ400 Street Tracker

Johnson (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bike has about 32000 miles on it and previous owner changed the chain but not sprocket at 20K ish. Thus I figure I would change them both, chain has been in spec but seems to be getting more loose lately and today I noticed this when cleaning so I assume its done:

https://imgur.com/3JXBeaP

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bike has about 32000 miles on it and previous owner changed the chain but not sprocket at 20K ish. Thus I figure I would change them both, chain has been in spec but seems to be getting more loose lately and today I noticed this when cleaning so I assume its done:

https://imgur.com/3JXBeaP
    Yup, that chain is done.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Agreed, ^^^.

It also appears who ever installed the master link tightened one side too much..

There are spec's on how close the side plates should be when flaring the ML (and it's a very slim allowance).

I have the older version of this DID (KM501E) tool and I found it's impossible to over tighten the ML:

D.I.D. Racing Chains and DirtStar® Rims
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-26-2017 at 04:43 AM.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast