Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    jeanjesuit (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Chain whizzing noise

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    OK, you should NOT have removed that arm, NO reason to. That's your issue now.

The shaft that the arm attaches/slides down onto apparently moved and needs RE-CLOCKING. IE, the lever arm needs to be set a tooth (or several) further COUNTER CLOCKWISE.
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, I did not touch the shaft itself. I only removed the engine-side slave lever to change its position on the threads atop the shaft, then reverted it back to normal after I saw no improvement. The shaft stayed put (although it has a little vertical play). I didn't remove it nor rotated it (it doesn't rotate further than allowed by the slave lever even without the spring).

I have the service manual (2007 edition, for the NHG and others).

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That's all that's left.

Unless all of a sudden the under cover (don't know your year bike) clutch release bearing failed:
    Part #7: Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W CLUTCH Diagram

Please confirm that with light pressure on the lower clutch arm, "the alignment marks line up".
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

jeanjesuit (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's all that's left.

Unless all of a sudden the under cover (don't know your year bike) clutch release bearing failed:
    Part #7: Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W CLUTCH Diagram

Please confirm that with light pressure on the lower clutch arm, "the alignment marks line up".
    Confirmed.

I forgot to mention that I had a certain stickiness to the clutch lever before, which I attributed to the cable failing condition. I had to push it forward by hand back to its resting position but the clutch itself didn't seem to be affected. Maybe it's related to today's ailments.

So your advice is to open up the clutch cover and check that everything is set to specs? I shouldn't have to drain the oil if I put the bike on the side stand, right?

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

NO, do not pull off the clutch cover...

Re-clock that lower arm. It's out of sync with the shaft that goes into the engine..

That shaft, apparently right now, does not have all the play out of it, thus NO clutch plate movement. Once it's taught again, it should work.

I've read of maybe TWO of those clutch bearings failing in 8 years here, very, very rare.

BTW, you can pull the clutch cover without draining the oil (but don't for this issue)
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

jeanjesuit (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re-clock that lower arm. It's out of sync with the shaft that goes into the engine..
    The shaft rotation is only about 60 degrees, which doesn't change with the lower arm position (by lower arm you mean the slave lever, whatever the cable attaches to right?). If so I'm sorry but I don't quite get it

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

We're talking right now ONLY about the lower lever/shaft...

Pull the lever off the shaft. Turn the SHAFT CLOCKWISE till snug.

Now, set the arm back on (your working against the lower return spring) with the marks dead on or one notch MORE clockwise.

If correctly clocked, with some pressure, marks will line up (as earlier pictured).

Then with the clutch cable hooked up, the clutch should work correctly.

NOTE: I just checked mine, I CANNOT BUDGE that lever with two hands (disengage the clutch).

Scott

7. Thanks jeanjesuit thanked for this post
    jeanjesuit (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers for the detailed explanations. I'll try right away and will post updates later.

9. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    jeanjesuit (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pull the lever off the shaft. Turn the SHAFT CLOCKWISE till snug.

Now, set the arm back on (your working against the lower return spring) with the marks dead on or one notch MORE clockwise.
    It worked. Thank you so much, I'll be back to lane splitting to work tomorrow rather than sitting in traffic. On the rear stand the wheel is perfectly still with the lever pulled in and first gear engaged (note: that Bihr aftermarket cable works perfectly in the end).

I don't know how it didn't occur to me the free play in the shaft was abnormal and that I obviously wouldn't be able to disengage all the clutch springs by hand. It'd have been a much faster procedure had I a circlip pliers on hand though.

A new chain, a set of sprockets and new tires will be in next Friday (I'm letting the mechanics do it this time). Brake and forks oil change are next on my plate.

Thanks again Scott!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Your welcome!!

Glad you didn't yank that clutch cover!!

Safe riding!
    Scott

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not a cheap chain. In fact it is one of the best - DID VX2 Gold X-ring
    My current ride: 2008 FZ6N (White/Red Stripe/Black) , Akrapovic SP-Series Titanium Slip-ons. Cat removed. (Baffles removed), K&N Air/Oil filters, Airbox mod, Goodridge Braided Stainless Brake Lines, Pazzo Race levers, MotoDynamics LED taillight, Evotech Fender Eliminator, Mini LED indicators, Alloy Bar End mirrors (convex), Ventura rack (with grab rail), DID 525 Conversion, Stebel Magnum horn, RaceTech springs, EBC Kevlar Street Racing Clutch, MotoBatt battery, Phillips LED bulb, RAM mount.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456