Likes Likes:  9
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: Chain whizzing noise

That's NOT the original front sprocket on there. The original has some sort of composite/material just below the teeth
    to probably hamper noise.

The washer does not appear to be a lock washer (I forgot), but you should put a new nut on there.
    The outer edge of the nut gets pined over the shaft to keep it from loosening up
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 07-31-2017 at 03:47 PM.

2. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    jeanjesuit (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    PS - you will never get a proper torque reading if the threads are full of rust. The shaft and nuts need to be clean.
    That might be. Although I can't tell yet as I don't want to take it off until I have a replacement ready. Driving around here is too much of a PITA.
    Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    Also you will notice as the rear compresses from loading that the S/A gets closer to paralell to the ground and the chain gets more taunt. Tight drive chains sing...
    Yep that's why I tightened the chain as close to possible as the bike would feel with my weight on it. I know it's not perfect though, It'll be better when I pick up a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    That's NOT the original front sprocket on there. The original has some sort of composite/material just below the teeth to probably hamper noise.
    TBF if you look at the picture closely you can make out a layer between the sprocket (where the teeth are) and the washer. On close inspection that layer seems to have been damaged by the chain links hitting it, you can see it's dented approximately along the "U-shape" of the sprocket. Might this have been the composite material that's so worn out it's barely distinguishable from the sprocket itself?
    The washer does not appear to be a lock washer (I forgot), but you should put a new nut on there.
    The outer edge of the nut gets pined over the shaft to keep it from loosening up
    It seems to me the S1 had those lock washer but the S2 had regular ones. Your link merely says "washer, plate", while the 2006 diagram shows a different design and says "washer, lock".
    Last edited by jeanjesuit; 08-01-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The original sprocket will NOT LOOSE the plastic "collar" I referred to.

The chain will wear down thru the sprocket, thru that collar. I've already changed mine out, that sprocket is NOT OEM.
    (been wrenching on this bike for ten years)..

Yes, the S1's came with just a washer.

The S2's nut was changed from the S1 as there was issues of the S1's nut coming loose/off
    There are several threads here about it, (along with a broken crankcase from the chain getting thrown.)

Purchase a new nut and washer AND use RED loctite on it when you swap out the sprockets and chain.

The rust seen is coming from the middle, not from the chain.

In any case, it all needs replacement
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-13-2017 at 10:41 AM.

jeanjesuit (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The original sprocket will NOT LOOSE the plastic "collar" I referred to.

Purchase a new nut and washer AND use RED loctite on it when you swap out the sprockets and chain.
    Cheers Scott, you've been incredibly patient and helpful.

I hope the dealer prices will be kinder than what I saw, the most reputable Yamaha parts online store here sells the washer for... $12.26. That's right. And $32.44 for the nut.

I got lots of stuff to do on that bike still. At least next time I'll be on the market I'll know better what to watch out for. I had been too spoiled by my previous unkillable air-cooled 125

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

If its a lock washer, you can probably get by with it. Look for a slot cut in the washer to confirm.

The nut itself, I cannot tell in the pic, but is ANY of the VERY outside edge of the nut, (fairly thin) AND PEENED OVER the sprocket shaft (the S2 is, the S1, probably not)?

jeanjesuit (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick update for y'all: I got the kit chain changed and most of the noise went away, replaced with a little mechanical ratchet due to the absence of rubber dampeners on the DID steel front sprocket. It's quickly covered up by engine noise though, so nothing too annoying.

Washer and nut got reused, I checked the nut torque after a couple days, all good. Alignment and tension in spec. The rumble in the pegs is also mostly gone. Hopefully it'll stay like that. New plugs are coming in, will swap it as soon as I get the time.

Peaking around the bike, I noticed something that's been (moderately) bothering me. There'a kind of rubber sheet, a couple inches thick, half loose in the upper engine bay, right above the oil fill plug / lower clutch cable connector. Anyone have any idea what that thing is? The peart hidden by the frame seems stuck/fixated, only the part pictured is loose. Thanks !

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeanjesuit View Post
    Quick update for y'all: I got the kit chain changed and most of the noise went away, replaced with a little mechanical ratchet due to the absence of rubber dampeners on the DID steel front sprocket. It's quickly covered up by engine noise though, so nothing too annoying.

Washer and nut got reused, I checked the nut torque after a couple days, all good. Alignment and tension in spec. The rumble in the pegs is also mostly gone. Hopefully it'll stay like that. New plugs are coming in, will swap it as soon as I get the time.

Peaking around the bike, I noticed something that's been (moderately) bothering me. There'a kind of rubber sheet, a couple inches thick, half loose in the upper engine bay, right above the oil fill plug / lower clutch cable connector. Anyone have any idea what that thing is? The peart hidden by the frame seems stuck/fixated, only the part pictured is loose. Thanks !
    Part #29 is the only sheet of rubber but it's not thick:

Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2005 FZ6 - FZS6T FRAME Diagram

You can look at other parts diagrams and see if you can find it.

Can you post a pic?

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-13-2017 at 10:48 AM.

9. Thanks jeanjesuit thanked for this post
    jeanjesuit (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can you post a pic?
    Sorry if it wasn't obvious, the picture is attached in the above message. Here's the album FZ6 S2 loose plastic sheet above oil filler cap - Album on Imgur

It's not actually rubber, more like a plastic, but the texture is somewhat rubbery. I imagine it's old and used to be transparent at some point in its life.
    Last edited by jeanjesuit; 08-13-2017 at 11:36 AM.

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Found a black one, same area, but sit's flatter than yours, right up against the engine(square silver cover atop the engine).

Found it, part #11: Yamaha Motorcycle Parts 2007 FZ6 - FZS6W SIDE COVER Diagram

Likely just keeps water from getting on the electricals.

Mine sits square with the raised aluminum, square engine block.

With yours being crooked, probably won't hurt anything but to set it right your going to have to do some digging to see
    why someone c0cked it (R&R till you can set / move it into the proper spot)...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-13-2017 at 01:30 PM.

jeanjesuit (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Impressive detective work Scott. Cheers. I have trouble figuring out where it's supposed to go though... I hope I'll get a better idea when lifting the tank. Something definitely happened under there though, judging by the white electric tape on the cables visible in pic #2.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast