Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    fz6-Dan (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do I pay for an inspection after (minor?) accident?

Hey all, I got into a fender bender (I hit him from the back). I'm fine, they're fine, and I'm pretty sure my bike is fine. After insurance and all that, I'm thinking of bringing in my bike for an inspection to make sure everything is ok. The back tire slid out and hit they're fender so the only damage it to the rear right side. My passenger foot peg was broken and my rear brake was leaking brake fluid. The swig arm was also hit, im not sure how hard though. I fixed the leak by retightening the screw but I'm not sure if there is anything wrong with the break caliper or if the swingarm is bent. Do I take it in and spend money or try to diagnose it myself? Asking for advice, thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 (fast) Blue fz6: Akropovic slip on, PCV, Tuning from Turo Racing, Lowering link, TownsendFJR13 cut kickstand, Puig touring windscreen, Pod light turn signals, Blue reflective Rim tap, BD43 headlight mod, FAZR6 Fender Eliminator

Vrrroooooom! Do I pay for an inspection after (minor?) accident? Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Do I pay for an inspection after (minor?) accident?

The swing arm looks like it's got a nice dent. How does it track when you ride it? I would check the swing arm bearings for possible damage. Also the sub frame may have been tweaked...
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

3. Thanks upshiftoverdrive thanked for this post
    Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    fz6-Dan (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Motogiro View Post
    The swing arm looks like it's got a nice dent. How does it track when you ride it? I would check the swing arm bearings for possible damage. Also the sub frame may have been tweaked...
    I decided to take it to the shop tomorrow. Better to be safe than sorry, especially on two wheels. Will let you know, thanks!!

2007 (fast) Blue fz6: Akropovic slip on, PCV, Tuning from Turo Racing, Lowering link, TownsendFJR13 cut kickstand, Puig touring windscreen, Pod light turn signals, Blue reflective Rim tap, BD43 headlight mod, FAZR6 Fender Eliminator

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

#1 Glad you're ok!

A professional safety inspection of the bike would be good to make sure you stay that way and an independent assessment of damages would be helpful to support any insurance claim.

The subframe looks damaged from the pic- at least the welded tab mount for the passenger footpegs.

6. Likes TownsendsFJR1300, Motogiro liked this post
    fz6-Dan (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darius View Post
    #1 Glad you're ok!

A professional safety inspection of the bike would be good to make sure you stay that way and an independent assessment of damages would be helpful to support any insurance claim.

The subframe looks damaged from the pic- at least the welded tab mount for the passenger footpegs.
    Those were most definitely damages, the rear peg bracket actually cracked in half and bent inward toward my tire. I'm pretty impressed as it stopped right at the rear tire hugger and didn't damage my tire! (At least that's what I think)

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Plus 1 on ALL the above. Good choice on bringing it to the shop...

If your NOT at fault, their insurance company SHOULD be paying for the inspection and repairs (or NEW bike). Sounds like you might be at fault re-reading post #1.

It took a decent hit especially to bend the swing arm (and that swing arm does need replacement) and bust the cast pillion
    peg mount. .

As noted, the steel sub frame mount is likely bent. IE, a new sub-frame. I would NOT let them hammer it back should it be bent.

Put the bike on the CC and look from the rear to see if you CAN see the rear jacked up/sideways.

The MAIN frame itself is probably ok.

**Make sure the shop is aware of the area/MAIN FRAME (probably ok anyway) just to the rear of the swing-arm bolt that IS prone to hair line cracks as well as the
    "arm" motor mounts.

Removing one bolt at a time to see if the main frame stays put (with the engine) would help verify the main frame isn't torqued. * If one of those arms pops away from the engine (with no bolt), that MAIN frame is toast..

As a side note, should you do the repairs, all those parts, used, are F/S and easily found.

I see my helmet lock bracket kit and your lock made it unscathed!
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 06-14-2017 at 04:39 AM.

9. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    fz6-Dan (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Plus 1 on ALL the above. Good choice on bringing it to the shop...

It took a decent hit especially to bend the swing arm (and that swing arm does need replacement) and bust the cast pillion
    peg mount. .

As noted, the steel sub frame mount is likely bent. IE, a new sub-frame. I would NOT let them hammer it back should it be bent.

Put the bike on the CC and look from the rear to see if you CAN see the rear jacked up/sideways.

The MAIN frame itself is probably ok.

**Make sure the shop is aware of the area/MAIN FRAME (probably ok anyway) just to the rear of the swing-arm bolt that IS prone to hair line cracks as well as the
    "arm" motor mounts.

Removing one bolt at a time to see if the main frame stays put (with the engine) would help verify the main frame isn't torqued. * If one
    of those arms pops away from the engine (with no bolt), that MAIN frame is toast..

I see my helmet lock bracket kit and your lock made it unscathed!
    I'm taking it in later today and will keep you advice in mind, thanks! The helmet lock has come in handy many times!

11. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    fz6-Dan (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bonus pics of the swing arm

13. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That second pic of the swing arm shows a small, but should be replaced dent in it.

Obviously, the cast aluminum pillion bracket got the worst of it.

How does the steel mounting bracket (for the rear peg) look, BENT AT ALL? (I'd think not as the aluminum got hammered the worst as well as the swing arm.

fz6-Dan (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    That second pic of the swing arm shows a small, but should be replaced dent in it.

Obviously, the cast aluminum pillion bracket got the worst of it.

How does the steel mounting bracket (for the rear peg) look, BENT AT ALL? (I'd think not as the aluminum got hammered the worst as well as the swing arm.
    To be honest, I'm not too familiar with the lingo. The rear bracket didn't look bent but I didn't really look at it. I will give the report from the auto shop but, I'm not too trusting. I'm in Atlanta, GA and not in my home state, South Florida, where I have a mechanic I trust.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast