Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    nikolasvel (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buzzyness Observations...

So today I rode my friends 2009 FZ6 with similar miles (9k) for quite some time and was looking to see if his Fazer feels the same as mine. On mine I can feel some "buzzyness" coming through my saddle and the right peg between 5k-6k RPM's. On my buddy's bike i couldn't feel that. On mine I literally have to avoid cruising on the highway on that RPM range, because it's quite irritating on my butt; however, on my buddy's bike It was not a problem. The vibes were minimal in that range. I have researched previous threads on the "buzzy" topic. Any advice or guidance on the topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Buzzyness Observations...

Quote Originally Posted by nikolasvel View Post
    So today I rode my friends 2009 FZ6 with similar miles (9k) for quite some time and was looking to see if his Fazer feels the same as mine. On mine I can feel some "buzzyness" coming through my saddle and the right peg between 5k-6k RPM's. On my buddy's bike i couldn't feel that. On mine I literally have to avoid cruising on the highway on that RPM range, because it's quite irritating on my butt; however, on my buddy's bike It was not a problem. The vibes were minimal in that range. I have researched previous threads on the "buzzy" topic. Any advice or guidance on the topic would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
    You've opened quite a can of worms here, and some other folks will be along shortly with more comprehensive answers, but some easy things to check that might make a difference:

Chain/Sprocket wear, binding, alignment
    General tune-up: Valve check due?, oil change, spark plugs, plug wires (trim back if loose on the SP cap, there's a whole topic on that)
    Exhaust header tight, not leaking?
    Throttle body sync

After that I'm lost. My bike is a bit buzzy in that range as well, so I'm going to try to sync the throttle bodies today and see if that helps.

3. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    nikolasvel (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haha I figured this was going to be quite the topic, as I have seen many other threads about our bikes and vibrations on here. My sprocket and chain seem to be in really good shape and the chain is always kept nicely lubed and clean. My bike has about 8k miles on it. Oil is fresh on it and was the same on both bikes (Rotella Synthetic). I guess I will start by checking the rear tire/ chain alignment, throttle body syncing and perhaps replacing the spark plugs, as I am sure they are the stock ones. I have never messed with the exhaust header. Do the bolts on the header typically loosen them self out from normal use? I might just go ahead and check all engine bolts and ensure they are tightened to spec since I am gonna be at it.

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

JM2C but...
    TB sync is out of the picture past 3k.
    Chain would be speed related and relentless if present.

On mine 4500 was the RPM range where a buzz came on from the spark plug cap fit to the coils high tension lead.
    The cap has coarse pitch screw inside that the wires core threads onto. When the wire is held and cap turned CW the cap should not spin freely on the wire. If it does, cut 10mm of wire, fan the strands 360 and thread the cap on...

See sticky in Tech Section for details.... I'd start there, it doesn't cost anything....

PS remove the two bolts securing the radiator to the chassis and let it rest on the hoses. It will allow room to work.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Also, re-torque the main engine mounts (40 Ft Lbs cold), exhaust nuts ( they can and do loosen up, especially when newish).

Loosen the FOUR rear, sub-frame bolts, jiggle till it sits happy on it's own, re-torque down.

Your mileage is very low but while checking the spark plug caps/wires, I'd replace the spark plugs with OEMs (brand and temp).
    Check gap before installation keeping on the tight side of spec's.

7. Likes raja777m liked this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure to pick up the spark plugs online or at an auto parts place. O'Reillys and Autozone near me have them for $5, while the moto shops charge $15.

My spark plugs were shot and causing problems after 8k miles.

9. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    nikolasvel (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you all for the great tips and suggestions. I purchased 4 NGK Iridium Spark Plugs from Advance Auto Parts for $25. I will check the condition of the caps and attempt to fix them if they are spinning freely. I am a DIY kinda guy, but I have never attempted anything similar in the past. I guess if I fail at it I will just purchase a new Yamaha Ignition Coil Assembly. They seem to sell for about $85 online.

nikolasvel (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    JM2C but...
    TB sync is out of the picture past 3k.
    Chain would be speed related and relentless if present.

On mine 4500 was the RPM range where a buzz came on from the spark plug cap fit to the coils high tension lead.
    The cap has coarse pitch screw inside that the wires core threads onto. When the wire is held and cap turned CW the cap should not spin freely on the wire. If it does, cut 10mm of wire, fan the strands 360 and thread the cap on...

See sticky in Tech Section for details.... I'd start there, it doesn't cost anything....

PS remove the two bolts securing the radiator to the chassis and let it rest on the hoses. It will allow room to work.
    Thank you so much for the excellent write up on the spark plug caps. I ended up replacing the Spark plugs with NGK CR9EIX and redid all spark plug caps as suggested in your write up. I took my time and ensured all wires were fanned out and the caps were nicely snugged in. Everything appeared all nice and tight upon refitment. The bike appears to idle, accelerate and decelerate just fine; however,The bad news is that it is still buzzing at the same RPM range.

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Did you re-torque the engine mounts, re-set and re-tighten the sub-frame?

nikolasvel (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    Did you re-torque the engine mounts, re-set and re-tighten the sub-frame?
    No torque wrench available at the moment in my garage, but I did take a regular wrench and checked all bolts. They all seemed properly tight. I will attempt to re-set and re-tighten the sub-frame once I get a hold of a proper torque wrench and post the results of that.

14. Likes TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast