Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    beuwiq (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: How to Change my Throttle Position Sensor (TPS)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    The large assortment of wires here - go into the ECM/ECU... The group of wires UNDER the green plug (air temp sender unit).

Disconnect the battery and unplug it. You're looking for damage, moisture, discoloration of the mating pins.

The ignition circuit is: the ECM -> Igntion Coils -> Plug wires -> Spark plug caps -> and spark plugs. The Coils are powered Directly through the RUN STOP SWITCH!!! If its dirty, it can cause issues!

Here is a how to on Checking Caps and Wires...
    Vibration! A cure for bad vibrations, Spark Plug Caps!!

Coils and wires are shown here - during Valve Lash adjustment; I removed them. Valve Clearance Adjustment

However, lift the fuel tank and they are AHEAD of the Battery tray. Remove battery bolts to access them.

Still need more detail about what is does properly and what it does not do.
    Has it always been this way? Has it ever ran proper?
    i.e. idle to redline at 14k?
    Yes idle redlines to 14k

I guess I'll have to take a video of how it responds. & yes it used to run properly at a point in time

2. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post
    beuwiq (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried posting these videos but they were too large, so had to upload it to dropbox

These are links to video clips showing how the bike sounds:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wq6bzrpvwo...14817.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nc14i82he2...14108.mp4?dl=0

Hope its helpful and clear enough to let you feel what I've been trying to explain :-)

My mechanic suggests we clean up the fuel pump and service the injector nozzle

I just ordered for plugs. Will be getting them this weekend

Thanks for your time guys. Really appreciate

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

The second link is much more helpful. Was it cold as in just started when it went through that studdering, misfiring, blubbering fit where it doesn't rev off idle? It couldn't get caught up to the throttle opening.

We need to know - if you stood behind it in daylight, would you see BLACK SMOKE that smells like unburned fuel???

If that is true and there was black smoke ^^, what does it do when your riding it??? Does it start lurching, kind of jumping or does it clean out and start going as in get caught up to the throttle input?

It sounds like its too rich (too much fuel but I want you to say it blows a black eye burning cloud) and if it does, your path is correct - inspect the ignition system, and replace the spark plugs. Does it get better as it warms up?

You said it has no fuel controller on it.
    Follow this link and do these actions: How to change spark plugs and check caps and wires

That may take care of it. I would use CR9E (NO K) and try those. Anything with a single strap ground electrode.

Also, check the air filter for blockage.
    And have you tried different Fuel Yet? How long has that fuel been in there?
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

5. Thanks beuwiq thanked for this post
    beuwiq (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The second link is much more helpful. Was it cold as in just started when it went through that studdering, misfiring, blubbering fit where it doesn't rev off idle? It couldn't get caught up to the throttle opening.

We need to know - if you stood behind it in daylight, would you see BLACK SMOKE that smells like unburned fuel???

If that is true and there was black smoke ^^, what does it do when your riding it??? Does it start lurching, kind of jumping or does it clean out and start going as in get caught up to the throttle input?

It sounds like its too rich (too much fuel but I want you to say it blows a black eye burning cloud) and if it does, your path is correct - inspect the ignition system, and replace the spark plugs. Does it get better as it warms up?

You said it has no fuel controller on it.
    Follow this link and do these actions: How to change spark plugs and check caps and wires

That may take care of it. I would use CR9E (NO K) and try those. Anything with a single strap ground electrode.

Also, check the air filter for blockage.
    And have you tried different Fuel Yet? How long has that fuel been in there?
    Thanks

I haven't noticed any Black Smoke. And yes the 1st video was a cold start. I also cleaned the Air Filter when I changed the TPS

Yet to get the plugs. Hopping it arrives this weekend. I'll search the forum on how to change plugs

Thanks Thanks

I'll keep you posted

Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That engine is either loading up on fuel (extremly excessive) at idle or you have a fault somewhere in your igniton system, major misfire.

In either case, black smoke should be prevelent(when you rev/clear it out)..

Your changing the plugs anyway.

Let the bike idle for a couple of minutes, DO NOT REV IT to clear it out.

Let it load up and cool down. Now pull the spark plugs one at a time and check as one or two, will look black or wet, way more so than the others...

Pay attention to if you hear / feel a click when pulling the spark plug wires.

If you have a spark tester, or even an inductive timing light, you can attach (prior to the above), to each spark plug wire to ascertain you have full spark at idle conditions (where the issue is).

You could very well have a bad cap to wire connection (well documented by FI), but as bad as it runs, it shouldn't be terribly hard to find..

Also, just for S&G's, crank up the bike in the dark... Look at the spark plug wires/coils for any arcing..
    Scott
    2007 Yamaha FZ6- BD43 headlight mod, PIAA bulbs, Stebal air horn, Scorpion SS pipes-(no DB killers), Speedohealer, HEL SS brake lines, Fenda Extenda, K&P SS re-usable oil filter, custom mounted BMW style electrical outlet(L.S.), Techmount GPS mount with handlebar bar risers/set backs, additional helmet lock, custom mod'ed seat(Spencers), Hyper light-rear running/brake light, custom radiator/fan protector, Techspec tank pads, Grip Puppies, Yamaha rear rack with custom aluminum flat rack.

8. Thanks beuwiq thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

A squirt bottle of water to the header should find that!

The hot was ones which are firing will steam and flash off. Those which are not as hot (misfiring) will take longer to dry.

Off hand, it sounds like its not just one cylinder but all of them. So this may not be that helpful.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

10. Thanks beuwiq thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by beuwiq View Post
    Thanks

I haven't noticed any Black Smoke. And yes the 1st video was a cold start. I also cleaned the Air Filter when I changed the TPS

Yet to get the plugs. Hopping it arrives this weekend. I'll search the forum on how to change plugs

Thanks Thanks

I'll keep you posted

So what ever happened here?

12. Thanks beuwiq thanked for this post
    beuwiq (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what ever happened here?
    Ok!! The plugs finally arrived and have been changed. That's what we have to go through here in Nigeria, you have to "wait" after you make your order

After the change bike was still acting up. Good enough I changed the plugs at the mechanic shop so he suggested we check the pump. Apparently on my last trip I had gotten bad fuel that had a lot of dirt. the filters in the pump were totally blocked so we got that sorted out & now the bike runs properly. Conveniently hits 200Km/h

Well I'm still happy I had to change the TPS and also the plugs

Thanks for the concern guys I really appreciate it. you guys ROCK!!!

14. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300, FinalImpact, Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Ok!! The plugs finally arrived and have been changed. That's what we have to go through here in Nigeria, you have to "wait" after you make your order

After the change bike was still acting up. Good enough I changed the plugs at the mechanic shop so he suggested we check the pump. Apparently on my last trip I had gotten bad fuel that had a lot of dirt. the filters in the pump were totally blocked so we got that sorted out & now the bike runs properly. Conveniently hits 200Km/h

Well I'm still happy I had to change the TPS and also the plugs

Thanks for the concern guys I really appreciate it. you guys ROCK!!!

Glad you got it operating again! Just a little bit of waiting and messing around!
    Here's to keeping dirt in plants and out of the tank!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Tried posting these videos but they were too large, so had to upload it to dropbox. These are links to video clips showing how the bike sounds:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/wq6bzrpvwo...14817.mp4?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nc14i82he2...14108.mp4?dl=0

Hope its helpful and clear enough to let you feel what I've been trying to explain :-) My mechanic suggests we clean up the fuel pump and service the injector nozzle. I just ordered for plugs. Will be getting them this weekend. Thanks for your time guys. Really appreciate

A quick recap for future reference. A lack of fuel pressure/fuel volume would hinder the engines ability to accelerate as the enrichment part of the fuel map is begging for more fuel, but the pressure and volume drop so it cant meet the demand and the engine misfires.

Quote Originally Posted by Finalimpact
    Please provide more detail....
    If it pulls off the line in 1st or 2nd from idle to say 4500 and just doesn't rev any more, you likely have a fuel restriction. i.e. kinked pressure line from the tank to the Throttle bodies, or rust in the tank plugging the injectors, a faulty pump (from rust), or the Over Pressure valve is stuck (from rust in the tank).

JJD952 Fuel Pump causes misfire
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

17. Thanks beuwiq thanked for this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast