TownsendsFJR1300 (OP)
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Broke SIDE STAND!!!!

Title says it all.

Ride up to Wally World for supplies.

Go to get on the bike (engine is off) to leave,I'm geared up.

Left foot on left peg, swing right leg partially over,

OVER and off to the left side BOTH I and the bike go. WTF????

I know the side stand was down. Bike was on a slight incline in MY FAVOR.

Get the bike up, put it on the CC. The kick stand (side stand), is dangling there. Easily twist the
    rest off, save the spring, etc.

The pic's tell it all. Obviously had been cracking for sometime.
    The last pic shows some rubbing on the pavement from hard left leans (probably irrelevant)

Think I'm a first with this... ( and NO fat jokes , I'm about 210lbs ) and that metal
    isn't very thick at all

Scruffed the mirror, end weight and obviously the stand. $152.00 parts just ordered..

(I'll have a very, very lightly scuffed left mirror and end weight for sale shortly if interested)..

*BTW, try getting off your bike WITHOUT A SIDE STAND, it isn't easy....

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-08-2017 at 10:09 AM.

2. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    100K Mile Member Broke SIDE STAND!!!! VEGASRIDER's Avatar
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Broke SIDE STAND!!!!

Interesting that you mount the bike stepping onto the left foot peg. I'd figure you're tall enough to swing your right leg over or through the seat. Or if you were ex-motors, you were use to mounting from the opposite side. Do you figure the failure was due to corrosion being that you're in a salt-marine environment?
    VEGASRIDER...................Member # 35
    2006 Team Yamaha Blue FZ6, 2014 Ducati Multistrada ST

Link to 50,000 Miles Club

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-g...000+miles+club

Helmet: Shoei GT-Air & Qwest,
    Pants: Motoport Airmesh Kevlar
    Gloves: Motoport Race Gauntlet & Winter Gloves, First Gear Heated Gloves
    Jacket: A bunch
    Boots: Daytona Roadstar GTX, BMW Sports Dry Boots

4. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro liked this post
    TownsendsFJR1300 (OP)
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VEGASRIDER View Post
    Interesting that you mount the bike stepping onto the left foot peg. I'd figure you're tall enough to swing your right leg over or through the seat. Or if you were ex-motors, you were use to mounting from the opposite side. Do you figure the failure was due to corrosion being that you're in a salt-marine environment?
    Every motorcycle I've ever owned (not the small bikes), I've always mounted from the left, kick stand down (FJR, Goldwing, cop Harley, my old 2 Harleys, etc).

I'm about 5'8" and it's simply easier to stand on the peg, gives you another 10" or so you don't have to swing your leg so high.

When letting a passenger mount, I put it on the kick stand (me on first), and let the stand do most of the "support".

I'm guessing it's mostly from mounting the bike this way (much more weight) is the main reason for the failure...

I do have to knock on wood, NO fairing damage, mole, tank, etc...

6. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Easily enough to re-enforce. Fish mouth both ends with the points not at the sides but to front and back, I think... The two halves do not have to be welded the full length. Any bicycle makers close to you?. I did this to my Triumph's center stand lifting lever to make it longer for more leverage. Maybe use the center stand more often?

8. Likes Motogiro, TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow this is pretty F'd up. I keep gaining weight and wondered could my side stand fail when getting on the bike. I do have a Mig welder and could easily put splint reinforcements on it.
    "It is wise to keep in mind that neither success nor failure is ever final."
    Roger Babson
    http://philosiblog.com/2011/09/15/it-is-wise-to-keep-in-mind-that-neither-success-nor-failure-is-ever-final/

Current Mods: (in no particular order)
    Leo Vince aluminum
    Top Sellerie seat
    Morimoto V6.0 mini H1 HID Projectors
    15t front sprocket
    grip puppies
    Hyperlites
    Stebel nautilus horn
    Puig racing dark smoke wind screen
    Racetech led volt meter

10. Likes Motogiro, TownsendsFJR1300 liked this post
    Vrrroooooom! Broke SIDE STAND!!!! Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    74 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The break looks like its very fresh. No rust. I imagine there may have been some micro fracturing of late. Probably due more to brittle properties of the area in close proximity to the weld.

If the weld were cooled slower it may have survived the stress better.

Now I'm going to be leery although most all my mount/dismounting is not from the peg.

Good luck with the new one or maybe repair that one and get it sleeved in the area for additional strength?
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

TownsendsFJR1300 (OP)
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I have a MIG welder, arc welder, can gas weld (worked in a machine shop many moons ago).

Welding it isn't an issue. I've built / welded my own MC trailers for years (see below) and can lay down a bead...

Re no rust rust. The bike doesn't get ridden in the rain and rarely gets a bath as I ride only when dry outside (for pleasure).

That pic is exactly how it was (short of it dangling and I simply twisted and removed it)...

You would think they'd be some rust if it was a hairline crack over time, the original weld is fine...

Now the PO layed down the bike at speed (on both sides) prior to me buying it (original kick stand), is it possible
    that compromised the tubing? You can see, there isn't much material there stock.

As for re-notching the tube and re-welding, I'd loose too much material and it'd tilt to far over, (I could do that for someone that has a lowered bike)....

I already ordered a new stand, mirror and bar end weight.

It lasted eight years (with me), I expect to get another eight, maybe more leg slinging from ground level and
    definitely NOT relying on it fully, especially with a passenger.

After my last 0 MPH tip over (my fault and a small fortune to repair), I've been VERY careful and cognizant of the kickstand,
    then this, jeezzz...

As for the CC, I only use it for chain cleaning/lube and when doing a "wipe down", (removing brake dust, crap from the wheels)

Glad I have that "Park and Move". Really handy with no side stand...
    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-08-2017 at 07:20 PM.

13. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Should have looked more closely, broke at the top, no sleeve could fit there. Still, we all know now where the weakness is. There might be something to do to strengthen it. Ask a bicycle builder.

15. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Well damn dude that blows!!! Upside is both of you are pretry well off for drop on these bikes.

Feeling how much it flexes and strains I strain it as little as possible. Even at that I never would have thought it would fail in that manor.

Be safe...
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

17. Thanks TownsendsFJR1300 thanked for this post
    Likes Motogiro liked this post
    TownsendsFJR1300 (OP)
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by major tom View Post
    Should have looked more closely, broke at the top, no sleeve could fit there. Still, we all know now where the weakness is. There might be something to do to strengthen it. Ask a bicycle builder.
    I have a metal lathe and could internally sleeve it / weld it if it wasn't so close to the top....

Just a learning experience at this point (and some $ to fix).

Don't put VERY heavy weight on the FZ kick stand, there simply isn't much metal there..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast