Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    nikolasvel (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DIY Hard Side Bags

Here are my DIY Hard Side Cases. I am very happy with the outcome. They are approximately 18''x16''x7''. They are waterproof, shockproof and only a fraction of the cost of a GIVI set or any other major brand. I used the soft bags Givi Racks and picked up hardware from my local hardware store. The installation of the whole project took me about 2 hours to complete. I did not find stainless steel brackets but knowing the size of them now i might surface the web for replacement brackets after I see how these hold up.

DIY Hard Side Bags-img_20170705_182312-jpgDIY Hard Side Bags-img_20170705_182353-jpgDIY Hard Side Bags-img_20170705_191107-jpgDIY Hard Side Bags-img_20170705_191054-jpg
    Last edited by nikolasvel; 07-05-2017 at 04:48 PM.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: DIY Hard Side Bags

Nice job. Looks spiff!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did you deal with the rear turn signals?? I am currently (mentally) struggling... I have the Givi monokey and siderails installed, 365 days a year, just so that I can use my hard-cases 1-2x a year. It gives me much more of an ADV look, which I can sorta' deal with. However, the kicker is that the rear turn signals have to go on stalks to get _behind_ where the cases are, so that I have side visibility. I know SW Motech has a quick-detach side-rail kit, but pretty sure it is for an '06+ which is not for me. The more I look at it, the more I don't care for it... especially with my new turn signals (yamaha blinker plus)

So I bought a tail-tidy bracket, and I think this winter I want to 1) install that, and then 2) rig something up whereby I can easily add/remove the side-rail support, and 3) easily adjust the position of the rear signals (either move, or slide rearwards when it is needed). I'm not sure where I will end up or what it'll turn into, but it has become the proverbial thorn in my side.

nikolasvel (OP)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gnyce View Post
    How did you deal with the rear turn signals?? I am currently (mentally) struggling... I have the Givi monokey and siderails installed, 365 days a year, just so that I can use my hard-cases 1-2x a year. It gives me much more of an ADV look, which I can sorta' deal with. However, the kicker is that the rear turn signals have to go on stalks to get _behind_ where the cases are, so that I have side visibility. I know SW Motech has a quick-detach side-rail kit, but pretty sure it is for an '06+ which is not for me. The more I look at it, the more I don't care for it... especially with my new turn signals (yamaha blinker plus)

So I bought a tail-tidy bracket, and I think this winter I want to 1) install that, and then 2) rig something up whereby I can easily add/remove the side-rail support, and 3) easily adjust the position of the rear signals (either move, or slide rearwards when it is needed). I'm not sure where I will end up or what it'll turn into, but it has become the proverbial thorn in my side.
    I have a fender eliminator kit with aftermarket smaller turn signals. I am sure that side visibility won't be great but I am not too concerned about it. Have you considered an Ebay Aftermarket taillight with integrated turn signals on it? I used to have one on my old FZ6. I am sure you could wire both the turn signals and tail light to work simultaneously. They are cheap and shouldn't be too hard of an install.

The issue I am having with the Givi side rails is that they restrict the rear passenger foot pegs from flipping up and down. I would literally have to put the side rails on a vice and bend them, but I am not sure I wanna do it. Therefore, my rear foot pegs have to stay flipped down now.
    Last edited by nikolasvel; 07-06-2017 at 07:39 AM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have similar issues with the GIVI side racks. I decided that I'd rather just live without sideracks than have the ugly rack on there and have to move the turn signals for the once or twice a year I might actually want side cases.

I have a brand spanking new set of sidecase racks if anyone wants 'em, I guess.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zixaq View Post
    I have similar issues with the GIVI side racks. I decided that I'd rather just live without sideracks than have the ugly rack on there and have to move the turn signals for the once or twice a year I might actually want side cases.

Well, I cant believe you're that unhappy with the Givi racks to just give them away! Are they for '07+? I'll pay for shipping and hassle at least plus a nominal sell price. Let me know..........

Vrrroooooom! DIY Hard Side Bags Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You Sir are a BadA$$. Great job!
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

8. Likes upshiftoverdrive liked this post
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

At least I'm not the only one who feels that way. Not ready to junk them, but post-Sept... it's No. 1 on my ToDo list for the winter.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too would be interested in purchasing the Givi side racks you have if you are trying to get rid of them. I suddenly have the itch to do this mod, especially with the discomfort of wearing a backpack in the SC summer heat.
    2007 Naked Red Yamaha FZ6, Scorpion Carbon Fiber slip ons, trimmed mud guard, LED turn signals FR and R, Yamaha Comfort Seat, (-0,+4) Superlite Sprockets and EK Chain, Speedohealer, Bike Master Heated Grips, Battery Tender SAE quick connector and USB adapter, bar end mirror, custom speedo mount, Acerbis DHH with LED Bulbs, OES frame sliders, R6 fork conversion.