Likes Likes:  61
Dislikes Dislikes:  1
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 08 FZ6 Condensed Build thread ~Final Impact~

Man, I didn't know that I wanted to advance my timing until I read that damn thread. Also, I'm going to talk to a buddy I work with and find out if he has a mandrel bender. The guy is a welding machine and I'd love to give a decat/single side exhaust a try. 08 FZ6 Condensed Build thread ~Final Impact~
    2004 FZ6 - Yamaha Blue, Naked Conversion - Buell Style, Two Brothers Aluminum Exhaust, Ming-moto Levers - Blue/Black, BD43 Dual Headlight Mod, Shogun Frame Sliders, R6 Fork and Caliper Conversion, 2003 R1 Rear Shock, Power Commander 3, Airbox mod, 5 Ignition Timing Advance, NGK Iridium Plugs

Coming Soon! Cat delete

2. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    FinalImpact (OP)
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

It's valve adjustment time! New shim kit came in so I inspected 20 of the 47 sets to see the average variation in thickness from the HCSHIM01 (7.48mm dia) kit.

Most all of the shims from vary no more than +/-0.003mm (+/- 0.00011) from the listed value! That's pretty good! The OD varies a bit but those measured are all below 7.48mm so none will be getting stuck!

Temps are above 40F so there may be hope of doing this on the weekend if my degree wheel gets here in time.
    Last edited by FinalImpact; 09-14-2015 at 05:21 PM.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Valve adjustment is DONE!
    All of the exhaust valves were too loose and out of spec! Intakes were OK! Those seem pretty stable!
    Maybe it's from too much of this:

How it all went down! Notice 1L, 1R, & 3R. All exceeding spec which resulted in "tap tap tap" you could hear.

^^ Chart made it easy to pick a middle of the road "Desired Spec" of 0.27mm on the exhaust and quickly pick shims and KNOW the Expected clearance once assembled!

ONE HOUR TO GET HERE (slide show tear down to valve cover off):

Naked Look! Ready to go back together!

Last edited by FinalImpact; 09-14-2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Broken links...
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Work in progress sound tracks.....

2014-11-2X audio via MP3... Notice Tick is gone from valve adjust.
    0:00 - 1:30 = warm start and warm up - no tick!
    3:15 = pull from 4500 to 12K ** Throttle response **is the best its ever been!
    4:00 = hail storm trashes road! Cruise till parked.
    7:10 - foot slipped, double clutch
    7:20 = Walk around - tick is gone!
    CLICK --> Soundcloud MP3 After Valve Adjust .. .. .. less raspy, little to no backfire (pop), & it pulls good!

2014-10 = CAT Delete
    Exhaust tone CAT-Delete, Ignition Advance and same recording device... Crisis on her way to hibernation/winter rest
    CLICK --> SoundCloud MP3 2014-10 DeCAT

2014-04 walk around for Valve Tick, 48 Secs. Taps can easily be heard in the first 12 seconds and last 8 seconds. i.e. its most noticeably at the beginning and end.
    CLICK --> SoundCloud MP3 Cam lash taps (before adj)...

From 2013 Before Trigger Mod and CAT Delete....
    CLICK --> SoundCloud MP3 Two Bro FZ6

There - all in one place.... ^^

This could be the last polish on these. The rock chips make them feel like the asphalt itself.... Also the rocks though the headers have removed the paint from the oil pan... Its that bad. Fender extender anyone?

Old Denim being put to use!

08 Raven w/a few mods...

6. Thanks Motogiro, motojoe122 thanked for this post
    FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

@ChanceCoats123
    IIRC its 304 but may have been 316 SS. Its welded vs seamless.
    I bought a 36" long section as it wasn't much more than a 24" piece...

1.75" OD x .065" Wall x 36" Length

The CAT on the S1 is less than 6.0" long while the S2 is closer to 7.5". As best I can tell the OEM pipe is not manderal bent as you can see it has some oval shape too it once cut. So once cut you may need to massage it until its round to match your new pipe. Especially if you go long and get into the bend for your weld. I just used some unknown SS wire to TIG it together. It seemed to weld find. You do want to clean the old pipe pretty well with emery cloth or a new SS wire brush (something) that has not been used on steel or aluminum. You don't want contaminants as that make it splatter. The better the joint of the two parts (no gap) , means less filler rod.

Hope that helps!
    Have fun! Oh - if you don't have distributor in your area, you can order via amazoo but it'll cost you more in shipping than the SS tube itself! Also, a reputable muffler shop may have some 6" scraps for pennies....
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

8. Thanks ChanceCoats123, famous556 thanked for this post
    FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Time for new springs and seals.... Bike sag is greater than desired so it seems like good time to pull the forks apart. I could just drop the springs in but thought I'd go into more detail.

2004 R6 Forks internals....

http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-t...rk-bushes.html

I was able to use a long screw driver and retain the cartridge. Lets see if that works for assembly purposes...
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

S1 headers came in the mail!
    I've got some cleaning to do as well as weld in an O2 bung and another mount.
    S2 mounts in the center. S1 to the side.

The Goal, get rid of the harsh 90 turn at the exit and the mini cats...

Out with the old (harsh 90).....

Last edited by FinalImpact; 09-14-2015 at 05:37 PM.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

11. Thanks motojoe122, Motogiro thanked for this post
    FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Well that was very mean of them!!! Now to mod the header or grind the oil sump??

Me thinks - SUMP will loose this battle!
    Last edited by FinalImpact; 09-14-2015 at 05:39 PM.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

13. Thanks motojoe122 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really cool exhaust port pictures there!

I see you have a clearance issue, but do you also have a length problem too?
    2004 FZ6 - Yamaha Blue, Naked Conversion - Buell Style, Two Brothers Aluminum Exhaust, Ming-moto Levers - Blue/Black, BD43 Dual Headlight Mod, Shogun Frame Sliders, R6 Fork and Caliper Conversion, 2003 R1 Rear Shock, Power Commander 3, Airbox mod, 5 Ignition Timing Advance, NGK Iridium Plugs

Coming Soon! Cat delete

15. Thanks FinalImpact thanked for this post
    FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

That's not what she said! Haha

And now i haz more issues.... Who welds aluminum? figured that nub could handle nore than a cpl file strokes. Nope! oh my is it thin.

Mega fail! Pan is leaking. Oh well, either an S1 pan or weld it. Lets see what it takes to fill in that cavity.
    Its got 3qts of fresh oil in it too!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

17. Thanks motojoe122, Motogiro, ChanceCoats123 thanked for this post

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast