2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Re: Rear shock alternatives; How to install R1 Shock w/pic

Quote Originally Posted by jrevans View Post
    Great post, especially showing how to flip the shock around to keep the under tray in place.

Maybe someday I'll get off of my rump and actually do this mod myself, considering that I bought the R1 shock last year and it's still sitting in my garage.

I'll probably cheap out and try to do it without re-valving the shock though.

If you can find the happy spot for preload on the stock shock (Say #5 for me), measure it to the 1/2mm (170mm etc) and then modify the R1 adjuster to match that same measurement (170mm installed height). My learning came from the evil spring. i.e. holding spacers in place by hand did not fully seat the "seats" and when i put the spring in it compressed the spring seats (perches) nearly 2mm more creating excessive SAG.

You were warned!! lol Note to self: you can always grind more off. Much harder to add material back!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Smile Re: Rear shock alternatives; How to install R1 Shock w/pic

Just recording my settings - Its like a journal! lol

2013-09-09
    Comp: 11 out
    Reb: 11 out

JJD952

((PASTE FROM ABOVE))
    SHOCK damping from fully turned in:
    [Bottom Adjuster]
    Rebound min: 20
    Reb Standard: 15
    Rebound max: 1
    ** CURRENT SETTING ON FZ w/Revalve = 15 Turns out
    *** BEFORE RE-VALVE = 4 turns out. Wasn't able to get pack down, meaning I had TOO MUCH rebound damping. I did a short test drive a 1 turn out. It just didn't feel right and thats when I parked it.

[Top Adjuster]
    Compression min: 20
    Compression stand: 15
    Compression max: 1
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

3. Thanks jrevans thanked for this post
    FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Bummer - from 9 months ago parts are going obsolete. Not all sites, but this could complicate playing around....

Notice - small bits in this link show as "obsolete"
    2008 FZ6 (BLACK METALLIC X) - FZS6XB Yamaha Motorcycle REAR SUSPENSION Diagram and Parts
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

If you're reading this, I encourage you to look at this link and then pay close attention to what your bike does during corner entry, apex and exit. Pay attention to when and how much you brake as well as well as how much throttle you apply and what the bike actually does.

This article starts off long but is a good read to get the rider thinking about what the bike and rider are doing. If you have an interest in making the bike handle better, READ THIS:>>> Motorcycle Suspension Set-up

FWIW: My current setup is very compliant as far as corner entry, apex and exit. It took some playing to get there but I'm happy. Also someone asked about the extra travel of the R1 rear shock. When the spring was off I fulling collapsed the rear and the chain did not bind and the tire didn't contact anything. However the ultimate test would be with the shocks bumper removed.
    I have ~ 550 invested in the suspension on both ends and feel it was worth every penny an for me rates as the best mod done to date! Stable and Predictable FTW!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

@ANLR21

Some shock and spring info at the top of this thread. Post up how yours does once able to ride.

7. Thanks ANLR21 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would this work on a pre 07 bike?

FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 0l0dom0l0 View Post
    Would this work on a pre 07 bike?
    Yes, all the mounting is the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What year is this shock off also?

Thanks

FinalImpact (OP)
    Mentioned
    122 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Post # 6, 2003!

PS - still working great!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FinalImpact View Post
    Post # 6, 2003!

PS - still working great!
    Photobucket killed the pics, could you please re post a pic with the final install?
    2004 FZ6 with R6 Fork and brakes, Leo Vince SBK Carbon Exhaust, Venhill SS Race brake lines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast