Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 06 > 07 Speedo Conversion

Does anyone have a decent pic of 07 clusters plug?
    I cant seem to find the damn thing, so just gonna make my own, But need to know where which wire plugs in etc...

Thanks guys

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just finished my conversion (on an '06 FZ6). It wasn't too bad at all. An accident causing the destruction of my original gauge prompted this.

I purchased a cluster from a 2012 FZ6R (they are the same as the 2nd gen FZ6 clusters). The FZ8 and FZ1 clusters should also work, the FZ8 one just has a white face instead of black.

Since the 1st gen FZ6 cluster has two connectors on the back, and the 2nd gen cluster has 1 connector, the easiest thing to do is to get the front section of the wiring harness from a 2FZ6 or FZ6R. The 2 connectors on the back of the harness that connect to the main harness are the same in the 1FZ6, 2FZ6, FZ6R. Your 1 connector now works with your new cluster. It's plug and play. Everything worked exactly as intended on my new gauge. The only thing is your odometer will be incorrect, naturally.

my bike now:

new gauge, it has one 16-pin connector on the back

updated wiring harness sections you need to get, note the black connector in the middle on the bottom, that's the 16-pin gauge connector

here's the two back connectors that connect to the main wiring harness, they are the same on 1FZ6 and 2FZ6

even the service manual and wiring diagrams show that they are pretty much interchangeable....

3. Thanks Cloggy, fazil, FinalImpact thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zanadu View Post
    Just finished my conversion (on an '06 FZ6). It wasn't too bad at all.
    Hey, thanks for the great walk through!

I've got a question though. Alle the 2nd gen FZ6 speedometer I can find, well, the RPM's only go to 13K, not 14K as on my 1st gen FZ6 speedometer.

Have this been a problem for you? Like, do the gauge meassure wrong (when you're at 9K revs, the bike is actually at 8k? or 10k?), or is it still spot on?

Sorry if this is a silly question, I'm not a great mechanic :-)

5. Likes FinalImpact liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just had to make an acct. and reply to say this does work like Zanadu's post states. Big thanks to Zanadu for posting some useful info and pics when all else seemed vague and poorly writtten.
    My cluster on my 06 went out from weather and vibration I asume. Decided not go get another one with the same problem so I went with the 07 cluster and got an 07 wiring harness and had to splice a couple wires (in my situation you may not have to) but otherwise IS more or less plug and play. Fuel gauge, rpm, temp, time, speed and back light all work. Very happy to have this working again and for only a couple hundred total. Much easier than buying an aftermarket gauge and re wiring and mounting new sensors.

7. Likes FinalImpact liked this post
    2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    121 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ricecows View Post

I've got a question though. Alle the 2nd gen FZ6 speedometer I can find, well, the RPM's only go to 13K, not 14K as on my 1st gen FZ6 speedometer.

Have this been a problem for you? Like, do the gauge meassure wrong (when you're at 9K revs, the bike is actually at 8k? or 10k?), or is it still spot on?

Good question....

The proof would be divisible by comparing the reported speed and RPM...
    - Like @6000 rpm, 6th gear speed 72mph / 116km/h

That said this appears to be the last post from Ricecow as of this writing but to further support fz6r vs fz6 gauge question, the FZ6R uses the same trigger wheel and pick up for the CPS as well as waste spark like the FZ. That said, the limited range on the R's rev counter is likely not a factor at lower RPMs as in it is likely spot on from idle to its limit.

Mind you the FZ6 rev limiter kicks in at roughly 13,480 rpm.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ricecows View Post

As far as I could tell it measures correctly. Remember the speedo is merely a digital output method for a signal being sent from the PCM, which is being measured by a sensor on the motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lagunabzrd View Post
    Just had to make an acct. and reply to say this does work like Zanadu's post states. Big thanks to Zanadu for posting some useful info and pics when all else seemed vague and poorly writtten.
    My cluster on my 06 went out from weather and vibration I asume. Decided not go get another one with the same problem so I went with the 07 cluster and got an 07 wiring harness and had to splice a couple wires (in my situation you may not have to) but otherwise IS more or less plug and play. Fuel gauge, rpm, temp, time, speed and back light all work. Very happy to have this working again and for only a couple hundred total. Much easier than buying an aftermarket gauge and re wiring and mounting new sensors.
    Thanks! good to hear it at least helped one person out. I no longer have the bike but it was a good learning experience.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interesting your done.
    Whereas the Panel is only a way to display data from the ECU. can I convert 07 to 06? I like the old Panel. What would be the adaptation in the cables?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bergguelero View Post
    Very interesting your done.
    Whereas the Panel is only a way to display data from the ECU. can I convert 07 to 06? I like the old Panel. What would be the adaptation in the cables?
    I'm sure you can! You'd just need the harness for the 05 or 06. Would look similar to the one I posted above but just has a single connector to the gauge. If I still had mine I'd give it to you.
    Last edited by zanadu; 07-24-2017 at 06:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

" The only thing is your odometer will be incorrect, naturally"
    Hi,I did the conversion fz6 to fz6 s2.Speedo,fairing etc.Everything is fine.....BUT my odometer works VERY wrong.With real speed about 80 kmh speedo says 120 and at 130 real speed says 200.In this case my odometer is completely useless.So if anybody knows how i can fix this problem it would be very very good.
    Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"The only thing is your odometer will be incorrect, naturally."
    Hello,when you say incorrect,how much incorrect you mean?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12