Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  50
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What windscreen do you use?

Voters
521. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamaha touring screen

73 14.01%
  • Puig Racing screen (aka double bubble)

194 37.24%
  • Puig Touring screen

48 9.21%
  • CalSci (S, M, L) (S2)

11 2.11%
  • Givi DS Profile screen (S1&2)

19 3.65%
  • Cee Bailey (S2)

19 3.65%
  • MRA screen (add sub-type)

13 2.50%
  • 7JuRock screen

1 0.19%
  • Laminar Lip

10 1.92%
  • Gustaffson screens (S1&2)

2 0.38%
  • MadStad Engineering RoboBrackets

18 3.45%
  • Converted my S1 fairing to an S2 fairing

3 0.58%
  • OEM screen mod (cut, drilled, etc)

50 9.60%
  • Went naked…

51 9.79%
  • Other (please specify)

41 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    wolfe1down (OP)
    Go hard or go home! FZ6 Windscreen Poll wolfe1down's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Question FZ6 Windscreen Poll

I'm looking at getting a better touring windscreen. I've read a tonne on this subject here and elsewhere, from chopping mods, to venting mods, to the Laminar lip, and different height/rake angles on screens. I like the esthetics of the stock screen and height. However, on the S1 I own large low pressure buffeting zone behind and coming off the screen really rattles my head and increases wind noise. I'd like to get something that offers better wind protection, but is still at or near stock size, although I may try something else if it reviews well here.

This poll is about what you guys have, what you use it for (ie. touring, sport riding, track, etc) and the screens pros and cons.

If we keep this to a fairly standard format, this poll may become useful for others looking for screen info/advice in the future.

Template example...

Screen name: Puig standard screen
    Usage (Track bike, touring, commuter, etc): Commuter
    Cost (and currency): $75USD
    Screen height: Same size as OEM
    Installation (ie. bolt on, mods required, etc.): OEM replacement
    Bike model (S1, S2, Naked): S1
    Pro's: Looks cool because it’s custom coloured
    Con's: offers no appreciable difference over stock setup
    Pics (if your screen is unique/obscure):
    Last edited by wolfe1down; 06-19-2011 at 08:24 AM.
    JP

Yamaha Lower Cowl Kit | Motovation Swingarm + Frame Sliders | SW Motech Barbacks | K&N Air Filter | Michelin Pilot® Road 2 Tires (Front & Rear) | All Balls Steering Stem Tapered Bearing & Seal Kit | TS Saddle | Givi E470 Topcase | Givi FZ351 Topcase Rack | bd43's Dual Headlight Mod | HVMP Bar Ends | Leo Vince Aluminum Exhaust | FAZR6 FE Kit | killernoodle Clutch Slave Lever | Givi PL351 Sidecase Racks | Givi e41 Sidecases | 2007 FZ6 Swingarm

2. Thanks YamaSpeed thanked for this post
    Just a dude with an FZ6 GTPAddict's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: FZ6 Windscreen Poll

The Puig screen was on my bike when I bought it, but looking at the pics from their website I'd say it was the standard one. I really like it, although I don't have much to compare it to. I've had the bike just over 90 MPH a few times and ride over 65 MPH daily. I have had no issues with wind in the chest as I've read about the stock screen at speeds over 60 MPH, but I haven't taken an long trips on the bike either.

All in all, if I were going to buy another for whatever reason I'm probably get another like the one that's on there now. I couldn't vote because the standard screen was not an option, but here' are some pic's of mine...

Eddie's 2006 Yamaha FZ6

4. Thanks wolfe1down thanked for this post
    wolfe1down (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GTPAddict View Post
    I couldn't vote because the standard screen was not an option, but here' are some pic's of mine...

Eddie's 2006 Yamaha FZ6
    Thanks for getting the ball rolling. I didn't put the Puig Standard in the poll because it has the same dimensions as the stock screen, and is basically an esthetics upgrade... They do look sharp, but I'm looking for something at or near stock size, while still diminishing wind turbulence/noise for long range touring.
    JP

Yamaha Lower Cowl Kit | Motovation Swingarm + Frame Sliders | SW Motech Barbacks | K&N Air Filter | Michelin Pilot® Road 2 Tires (Front & Rear) | All Balls Steering Stem Tapered Bearing & Seal Kit | TS Saddle | Givi E470 Topcase | Givi FZ351 Topcase Rack | bd43's Dual Headlight Mod | HVMP Bar Ends | Leo Vince Aluminum Exhaust | FAZR6 FE Kit | killernoodle Clutch Slave Lever | Givi PL351 Sidecase Racks | Givi e41 Sidecases | 2007 FZ6 Swingarm

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I won't hi-jack the thread but here's from my own experience. I did a lot of R&D on my 6R because the stock screen is absolutely horrible. I get the air right under your helmet and after 15 minutes on the freeway your head feel like it's going to fall off.

So if you want to see and read the whole thing, go on the fz6r forum and search "Custom Windscreen or Marthy 22" windscreen".

What I found out is it's not all about the height of the screen. Laminar lip or spoiler style really work great. I did a 20,22,24 & 26" tall screen. I did compare all those, pass 22" i notice there was not much difference. So I settle for 22" and been playing with few different shape and size spoiler (aka laminar lip) I'm getting better result with the 22" screen with laminar lip then the 26" screen that I use to have.

So from sitting on the bike, here's the best way to explain the difference. With a regular single layer screen. When the air goes over the screen it just flow linear. By that I mean if you put your hand low and go up you can feel where the air flow hit you. It like a wall of air that get accelerated strait to you. With the laminar lip it really brake that layer. It give you a "transition layer". It goes from no air to a low pressure turbulent air to high speed air flow.

Here's a few pics of my quest to a better touring screen. I went to some extreme just to learn and test few things out. Maybe it's the way you guys should go. Lowe's acrylic and a good heat gun with a lot a patience will get you there. eplastic.com have a nice selection of tint material. If you stay on the short side, 1/8" thick is enough... other wise 3/16" is the way to go.

7. Thanks wolfe1down, deeptekkie thanked for this post
    wolfe1down (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So you're using a 22" homemade screen with a laminar lip? Is that right? Or is it a stock screen that you've heat molded at the top? I'm a bit confused... I read your review on the FZ6R site. Looks like you had your screen custom made...
    JP

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfe1down View Post
    So you're using a 22" homemade screen with a laminar lip? Is that right? Or is it a stock screen that you've heat molded at the top? I'm a bit confused... I read your review on the FZ6R site. Looks like you had your screen custom made...
    Yep! I custom made the screen. The first few were just cut off with a jig saw. I had 10 made cut on a cnc and pre bend. I finish them up on a jig that I made and drill the holes at the proper spot for the first batch. I don't have a pic of my latest laminar lip. it's just as high as the screen... about 15 deg angle is the sweet spot! I'll take a pic later on and will post it later.

10. Thanks wolfe1down, BamBam77 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's pics of the short laminar lip that I made. All it is is a flat 1/8" thick plexiglass that I profile. You can see there's 4 screws. the top 2 are fix, 2 bottom 2 can be slot out. So you can give it some shape then tight up the bottom one tho hold in place... For some of you it might not win any beauty contest... but it get the job done very well. It make my mirrors look like they belong there now... lol

12. Thanks wolfe1down, Cloggy, BamBam77 thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried everything available for my '06 and finally decided to go naked. There are quite a few threads about this here, and my conclusion was the same as many others: Touring windshields available for the pre-2007 models just increase the noise due to turbulence. I may have tried a big CalSci shield if I had a 2007+ bike. I seriously considered selling it for this reason alone - it's like Satan himself designed the aeros on this bike. I already have significant hearing loss and tinnitus, so this is a show-stopper for me.

I rode for quite a while with the stock screen cut down 3", which is better, but still pretty loud out on the slab. My last attempt was a Puig touring screen with a Laminar lip installed, and I even tried cutting a NACA vent in the lower apex - the roar was still deafening - literally. Worst part is that the pressure changes are transmitted through your earplugs and skull - there's no getting away from it! I tried a windjammer, which helped a little but was way too occlusive on warm days.

I took it out with no screen and the smooth airflow was like heaven, so I decided to spring for a $300 headlight kit instead of a new bike. If I want to do serious miles I'll get a touring bike.

For the record, I'm 5'8" with stumpy legs, so I sit a little taller than that, and wear a Shoei X11 helmet and custom molded earplugs.

Hope this helps

14. Thanks wolfe1down, BamBam77, deeptekkie, jrevans thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took off the screen on my 06 and will try it out this week. I like the look too. If it feels good, I think I'll keep it that way and switch the mirrors to bar ends for a semi naked/fighter look.
    Mods: 15T front sprocket,Hyperpro progressive fork springs, 15W fork oil, Power Commander III, BT-021 tires, throttle rocker,FS6 frame sliders, Chase Harper saddle bags, Cortech Mini tank bag, Killernoodle's clutch slave lever,Hyperlights, cut down screen, HVMP bar ends,ATGATT.

16. Thanks wolfe1down thanked for this post
    wolfe1down (OP)
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spideyrex View Post
    I took off the screen on my 06 and will try it out this week. I like the look too. If it feels good, I think I'll keep it that way and switch the mirrors to bar ends for a semi naked/fighter look.
    Do you have any pics without the screen. To be clear, you left the fairing on, but took the screen off?

Thanks!
    JP

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast