Hello & Welcome to our community. Is this your first visit? Register

Thanks Thanks:  50
Likes Likes:  5
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

View Poll Results: What windscreen do you use?

Voters
521. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yamaha touring screen

73 14.01%
  • Puig Racing screen (aka double bubble)

194 37.24%
  • Puig Touring screen

48 9.21%
  • CalSci (S, M, L) (S2)

11 2.11%
  • Givi DS Profile screen (S1&2)

19 3.65%
  • Cee Bailey (S2)

19 3.65%
  • MRA screen (add sub-type)

13 2.50%
  • 7JuRock screen

1 0.19%
  • Laminar Lip

10 1.92%
  • Gustaffson screens (S1&2)

2 0.38%
  • MadStad Engineering RoboBrackets

18 3.45%
  • Converted my S1 fairing to an S2 fairing

3 0.58%
  • OEM screen mod (cut, drilled, etc)

50 9.60%
  • Went naked…

51 9.79%
  • Other (please specify)

41 7.87%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Super Member FZ6 Windscreen Poll Jblk9695's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: FZ6 Windscreen Poll

I use a Puig racing screen cut down for the hot weather--

Works very well, much smoother air flow and the noise level isn't to bad.
    I have a Puig touring screen for colder weather.
    Jerry
    Everyone is FAST in a STRAIGHT LINE
    OLD Hooligan

Arrest that HOON at once, they are having TOO MUCH FUN!!!!

2. Thanks wolfe1down thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've currently got the Puig DB on my 2006 FZ6. It came with it, I didn't choose it. It looks good, and that's it. I'm 6ft tall. The screen causes lots of buffeting. When I stand up, it gets MUCH quieter. It seems to direct all the wind right at my face, or just under my helmet, which of course results in tons of noise. Even with earplugs, it's way too loud. I'm going to give the OEM touring screen a try, as it's taller and has that nice lip at the top, which should help a bit.

Maybe we should include our height, as that can make a big difference in our perception of these screens. Clearly a Puig DB will be viewed differently to a 6ft tall person, compared to 5ft tall person.

Screen name: Puig Double Bubble
    Usage : Commuter ; Touring
    Cost (and currency): $0 came with the moto
    Screen height: A bit taller?
    Installation : OEM replacement
    Bike model : S1
    Pro's: Looks nice, especially the light tint
    Con's: Noisy, lots of buffeting, even when fully tucked. No idea compared to stock, as I never had the stock screen.
    Rider Height : 6ft. even
    Last edited by novaks47; 07-01-2011 at 09:54 PM.

4. Thanks wolfe1down, xDavidx thanked for this post
    wolfe1down (OP)
    Go hard or go home! FZ6 Windscreen Poll wolfe1down's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by novaks47 View Post
    I've currently got the Puig DB on my 2006 FZ6. It came with it, I didn't choose it. It looks good, and that's it. I'm 6ft tall. The screen causes lots of buffeting. When I stand up, it gets MUCH quieter. It seems to direct all the wind right at my face, or just under my helmet, which of course results in tons of noise. Even with earplugs, it's way too loud. I'm going to give the OEM touring screen a try, as it's taller and has that nice lip at the top, which should help a bit.

Maybe we should include our height, as that can make a big difference in our perception of these screens. Clearly a Puig DB will be viewed differently to a 6ft tall person, compared to 5ft tall person.

Screen name: Puig Double Bubble
    Usage : Commuter ; Touring
    Cost (and currency): $0 came with the moto
    Screen height: A bit taller?
    Installation : OEM replacement
    Bike model : S1
    Pro's: Looks nice, especially the light tint
    Con's: Noisy, lots of buffeting, even when fully tucked. No idea compared to stock, as I never had the stock screen.
    Rider Height : 6ft. even
    Thanks! I'm also 6' and from what you describe there is likely no difference between the stock and DB screens, as I have the same complaints with the stock screen. I'm considering purchasing another stock screen and cutting down the old one to see if I can make an appreciable difference. I have found a few older threads on various designs for this...
    JP

Yamaha Lower Cowl Kit | Motovation Swingarm + Frame Sliders | SW Motech Barbacks | K&N Air Filter | Michelin Pilot® Road 2 Tires (Front & Rear) | All Balls Steering Stem Tapered Bearing & Seal Kit | TS Saddle | Givi E470 Topcase | Givi FZ351 Topcase Rack | bd43's Dual Headlight Mod | HVMP Bar Ends | Leo Vince Aluminum Exhaust | FAZR6 FE Kit | killernoodle Clutch Slave Lever | Givi PL351 Sidecase Racks | Givi e41 Sidecases | 2007 FZ6 Swingarm

wolfe1down (OP)
    Go hard or go home! FZ6 Windscreen Poll wolfe1down's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jblk9695 View Post
    I use a Puig racing screen cut down for the hot weather--
    Works very well, much smoother air flow and the noise level isn't to bad.
    I have a Puig touring screen for colder weather.
    Jerry
    How far did you cut down? Looks like the width of your mirror bodies +/- an inch or two?
    JP

Yamaha Lower Cowl Kit | Motovation Swingarm + Frame Sliders | SW Motech Barbacks | K&N Air Filter | Michelin Pilot® Road 2 Tires (Front & Rear) | All Balls Steering Stem Tapered Bearing & Seal Kit | TS Saddle | Givi E470 Topcase | Givi FZ351 Topcase Rack | bd43's Dual Headlight Mod | HVMP Bar Ends | Leo Vince Aluminum Exhaust | FAZR6 FE Kit | killernoodle Clutch Slave Lever | Givi PL351 Sidecase Racks | Givi e41 Sidecases | 2007 FZ6 Swingarm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfe1down View Post
    Thanks! I'm also 6' and from what you describe there is likely no difference between the stock and DB screens, as I have the same complaints with the stock screen. I'm considering purchasing another stock screen and cutting down the old one to see if I can make an appreciable difference. I have found a few older threads on various designs for this...
    Yeah, if the touring screen doesn't work out for me, then I'll take a stab at modifying an original. I'll probably have to buy a few used ones, as I'll want to experiment with different ideas I have. lol

8. Thanks wolfe1down thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This weekend I put back my windscreen after riding with out one for few weeks! Never again! The noise the turbulence was intolerable after I got used to the smoother air flow without the screen. I highly recommend people just to try it out for themselves (on 04-06 models). Just 5 screws to take it off.
    Mods: 15T front sprocket,Hyperpro progressive fork springs, 15W fork oil, Power Commander III, BT-021 tires, throttle rocker,FS6 frame sliders, Chase Harper saddle bags, Cortech Mini tank bag, Killernoodle's clutch slave lever,Hyperlights, cut down screen, HVMP bar ends,ATGATT.

Old-School Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wish somebody could find a solution for us S1 owners

I love my FZ6, but the wind noise is absolutely horrible. I'm 6'3" and since buying my FZ6 new in 2004, I've had the factory shield, the tall Yamaha windshield, and now the Puig DB, but they all suck. (Well, the tall Yamaha shield created a really weird shaking that was worse than the others....)

I really like having some kind of windscreen on the bike, and I have no plans to ditch the fairing and go naked, so I need somebody to come up with a magical windscreen solution for us 2004-2006 riders.

Even with the earplugs that I wear, the noise is incredibly loud. I remember when I bought the FZ6 and still have my CBR600F4 for a few months. Riding them back to back made it clear how loud the FZ6 wind noise was.

We need some wind tunnel time or something. Maybe a box of fifty windscreens with some hacksaw blades and dremel bits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i am also looking for a solution to the wind noise and buffeting issue i have with fz6. any solution for taller riders would be appreciated. don't really want to go naked...thanks!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by astpierre View Post
    i am also looking for a solution to the wind noise and buffeting issue i have with fz6. any solution for taller riders would be appreciated. don't really want to go naked...thanks!
    I just ordered the OEM touring screen. It's not shipping until the 10th(next Wensday), so it'll be a while. Hopefully I'll have it by next weekend. I'll report my results as soon it goes on and I can ride. Ugh, haven't ridden in a while due to the super heavy fog we've been getting. It's like winter never went away! Anyways, hopefully it'll work out good. The waiting is driving me nuts!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Puig Touring screen for me. I'm 6'1" and it's much better than stock for longer rides and short touring. No real head buffetting at all, just a smooth air flow up and around the helmet.

One odd thing...I first installed the windshield without the rubber edging strip, and I didn't find the windshield all that great. After a while I realized that I hadn't put on the edging, so I did. What a difference! It must act like a spoiler. Make sure to put in on!

2007 FZ6, Ultra-Fast Red, Two Bros Exhaust, Top Sellerie seat, K&N air filter, OEM Yamaha top case, Puig Light Smoke Touring screen, Highway Hawk drag bars, shorty levers, twin lights mod, frame sliders, LED signals, Gears Ultramax saddlebags, JR Manta tank bag

14. Thanks wolfe1down, xDavidx, ykbell09 thanked for this post
    Likes LazrFazr liked this post

Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast