Thread: The R6 Fork

bd43 (OP)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

The R6 Fork

If you're like me and are considering doing the R6 fork mod, here are some pictures of the right FZ6 (2007) fork leg beside the left R6 (2003) to compare for what lies ahead.

You can read about my R6 fork install here... http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-m...other-one.html

The R6 fork is on the left easily recognized by the anodized blue preload adjuster on the top of the fork tube while the FZ6 fork is on the right. The black section of the forks is typically called the fork leg. The shiny upper part is typically called the fork tube. Two obvious differences evident in this picture are the R6 fork leg is shorter, and the overall length of the FZ6 fork leg is longer.

The FZ6 fork leg is longer by about a 1/2". I'm not sure how much this is going to affect the bike's geometry, but technically, this will probably decrease the rake angle and therefore the amount of trail marginally which will lead to a more nimble turning bike. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, but I would assume as the trail decreases, the less stable the bike will become.

If you didn't need a front fender then the critical mounting points relative to the center of the wheel axle are the brake caliper mounts. These are the two larger mounts with holes closer to the bottom of the same side of the fork leg. Both the FZ6 and R6 legs in this regard have the same dimensions.

Who rides without a front fender? The remaining two mounts with smaller holes on the FZ6 fork leg, one on either side of the leg are the mounting points for the stock 2007+ fender. Looking at the picture, we see the mounts are not in the same location relative to the center of the wheel axle or the upper caliper mounting hole. Some additional hardware is required to extend the mounting points for the fender on the R6 fork leg. A member on this forum provides this hardware, dako81, or if you know the dimensions, you can fabricate something up yourself.

As a reference, I took two pictures of the fender on the stock FZ6 forks relative to the front wheel.

I would hopefully expect that after the installation of the fender on the R6 fork legs, this distance won't change, but because the taper of the R6 fork leg near the top of the leg is almost 3/4" lower than the FZ6 taper, this could present a problem. It would be interesting to see if anyone who has done this mod noticed that their front fender is closer to the wheel.

Finally, there is the front axle. The silver color one is the FZ6 axle and the black is the R6 axle. The R6 axle is almost 1" shorter than the FZ6 axle. The inner face of the R6 axle hole of the leg on the left appears to be closer inward than the FZ6, which might make up for the shortness of the axle.

This may be an optical illusion as the new spacer is 0.836" in width compared to the 0.707" FZ6 spacer. Wondering now how this R6 axle is supposed to work.

Anyway, I'm organizing to do this mod and preparation is everything for a job to go smoothly. Next step, get off my seat and get a move on it.
    Last edited by bd43; 05-13-2014 at 05:18 PM.

Uncaged Frame Sliders | Dual Headlights | TB Titanium Slip-Ons | Pazzo Long Levers | Yamaha Sub Cowl | Acumen DG8 | All Balls Head Bearings | R6 Forks | Ottimoto Rear Sets

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The R6 Fork

cheers for the comparisions

dont forget to get the caliper spacers!
    When a naked man is chasing a woman through an alley with a butcher's knife and a hard-on, I figure he isn't out collecting for the Red Cross!

blue is fastest...
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, thanks for the pics and comparisons.

Is it just me, or does the FZ fork (shiny part) look thicker than the R6 fork (shiny part) ?

4. Thanks tomari thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what exactly will the mod end up doing for the bike? from what i read from you it ends up making the bike less stable? but what ultimately are you going for when switching the forks?

****EDIT**** Never mind i ended up doing a little bit of quick searching... spose i shoulda done this first haha.
    Last edited by liquiddragon86; 03-07-2010 at 07:18 AM.

bd43 (OP)
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

You had me worried there for a second; both the FZ6 and R6 fork tubes are the same diameter of just under 43mm.

I’ll just share some final notes about the R6 fork. Since these R6 fork legs came parted off a 2003, I decided to change the fork oil. The Yamaha manual calls for “01” fork oil. The local dealership had Yamaha S1 fork oil which was twice as much as the Bel-Ray. It took some time with the service tech and then Googling for this, Yamaha 01 fork oil has the equivalent of 5wt, so I picked up a liter of Bel-Ray 5wt at half the price.

The oil that came out of the fork was a murky watery oil with sediment settling to the bottom of the container.

The Bel-Ray fork oil, dark blue in color, seemed a little thicker.

A couple things I forgot to do while I had the fork apart was check the springs for a couple of things. I didn’t check the spring free length or confirm that the smaller pinch of the spring was facing upward. I basically re-installed the springs the way they came out. I’m kind of kicking myself for not checking either of these so if you get a hold of some R6 forks and decide to open them up, be sure to check these out.

Fred and Pete mentioned this in their fork mod way back when about the length of the axle. I’ll just point out here, with the R6 forks installed on the FZ6, the R6 axle comes in short, roughly 9mm. Not sure what do about this.

Some final tid bits of information.

The FZ6 fork has a 130mm (5.1”) travel. The R6 fork has a 119.4mm (4.7”) travel.

The FZ6 fork leg weighed 4.145 kg (146.2 oz). The R6 fork leg weighed 3.548 kg (125.2 oz).
    Last edited by bd43; 05-16-2014 at 09:13 PM.

Uncaged Frame Sliders | Dual Headlights | TB Titanium Slip-Ons | Pazzo Long Levers | Yamaha Sub Cowl | Acumen DG8 | All Balls Head Bearings | R6 Forks | Ottimoto Rear Sets

7. Thanks Norbert, Kazza, tomari, thieu thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the R6 axle comes short, so any suggestion or anyone can show what they actually did?
    Current: Equipment Extreme axle sliders, Philips H4 plus 50% beam, Philips H7 Crystal Vision, BMC Air Filter, Leo Vince Tit, PC III, Scottoiler, MR Guage Voltmeter, GiproX Gear Indicator, Ermax Double Bubble Racing Screens, PowerBronze lowers, Shogun Frame Sliders with adaption plate, PowerBronze Headlight Protectors, RaceShield Full wrap, Spy two way alarm, Hepco & Beckers Journey topbox, Top Saddlery Seat, Stealth Supersprox

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i dont remember the reason you couldnt use the fz6 axle... anyone care to comment???
    Mods: Yamaha Frame Cap, Yamaha Lower Cowl, Top Saddlery Seat, TankSlapper Protector, Givi V46 Top Case, Givi Mono Top Rack, Givi e21 Side Cases, SW-Motech Quick-Lock Side Racks, Grip Puppies, LSL Frame Sliders, FAZFZ6 FE, Hyper-lite Brakelite Kit, HEL Brake Lines

+1 for Gearing Up!!

Not even here
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you know off hand how much oil the forks take? I put my R6 forks on over the winter and haven't gotten around to changing the oil yet...
    Current:
    2007 FZ6- GIVI E370 trunk/ E21 saddlebags, Throttlemeister, Dual headlight mod w/ pod lights, Dual HIDs, Stebel, R6 forks, Corbin, heated grips, other crap...
    2001 Suzuki DR650SE-So much fun, it should be illegal.

Past:
    2002 BMW K1200RS-sold
    2004 Honda VFR-sold
    2004 Honda VFR-gone
    1983 Honda CB650SC-sold

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its been a while since I did the swap, but IIRC one axle threads into the fork leg, the other has a bolt coming in from the outside.
    Naked Blue 04 - R6 bits here and there, Carbon fiber this and that

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic CCHOUSEKY's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You got it right, afpreppie. The FZ6 axle slides through one fork leg and then screws into the other one. The R6 (R6S) axle slides through both fork legs and has a bolt on the other end that screws into the axle.

I've had my R6(S) forks on for 3 seasons now and absolutely love them. I've had no problems with stability, as I think they actually make the bike MORE stable (once you get them dialed in to the correct preload, rebound, etc.).

One thing I haven't done is change the fork oil and I should. Mine are off a '07 R6S, so they're obviously much newer than the same forks from a '03 R6 (although it's the same forks, model-wise). I need to do some research and change that oil next winter.
    A wise man once said:

"Sometimes the gene pool needs chlorine, and sometimes the chlorine comes in the form of asphalt."

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast