Thread: The R6 Fork

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Re: The R6 Fork

Did you notice that yamaha used the same bearing and spacer on like most every bike they made from 1995 to 2011? A bit of an exaggeration but it would be a lot of bikes. That leaves the collar to be the variable in the mix which is unique to FZ6 and FZ1.

Without having the R6 collars and actual fork spacing it seems you must rely on the static values while free hanging which could lead to considerable error.
    Perhaps take the springs out and compress the forks completely may reduce some error but that's still a stretch.

JM2C but when mine is assembled it is pretty much gapless and does not bind with springs out. All fasteners do their intended function and the calipers are centered over the rotor. IMO there is not much to improve on that a street bike rider will benefit from.

Good luck!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

2. Likes bigborer liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does anyone know which fork oil I should be using? There are a couple of options and I'm just not sure. Any help is appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2007 (fast) Blue fz6: Akropovic slip on, PCV, Tuning from Turo Racing, Lowering link, TownsendFJR13 cut kickstand, Puig touring windscreen, Pod light turn signals, Blue reflective Rim tap, BD43 headlight mod, FAZR6 Fender Eliminator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used 7.5 motul oil when I did the rebuild. The forks are now stiff. I know there are many possibilities but I'm thinking it may be that the oil level is too high. Does anyone have any experience taking out some oil? Did it work/help? Thanks!

2007 (fast) Blue fz6: Akropovic slip on, PCV, Tuning from Turo Racing, Lowering link, TownsendFJR13 cut kickstand, Puig touring windscreen, Pod light turn signals, Blue reflective Rim tap, BD43 headlight mod, FAZR6 Fender Eliminator

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fz6-Dan View Post
    I used 7.5 motul oil when I did the rebuild. The forks are now stiff. I know there are many possibilities but I'm thinking it may be that the oil level is too high. Does anyone have any experience taking out some oil? Did it work/help? Thanks!

You should be using a light 5 wt oil with the R6 forks. They recommend Yamaha 01. If you check viscosity curves, you want something pretty close. For Motul, you actually want their "Very Light", which I think they market as 2.5.

there's an easy list of viscosity at 40C here: https://transmoto.com.au/comparative-oil-weights-table/

Heavier oil is sometimes used to compensate for bad/light suspension with damping rod forks, but it's a bad idea in cartridge forks.

For oil level, I went halfway between the service manual recommendation and racetech's recommendation, but I must have forgotten to write it down. The R6 manual I have says it should be 106 mm, and I wouldn't leave any less air than that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zixaq View Post
    You should be using a light 5 wt oil with the R6 forks. They recommend Yamaha 01. If you check viscosity curves, you want something pretty close. For Motul, you actually want their "Very Light", which I think they market as 2.5.

there's an easy list of viscosity at 40C here: https://transmoto.com.au/comparative-oil-weights-table/

Heavier oil is sometimes used to compensate for bad/light suspension with damping rod forks, but it's a bad idea in cartridge forks.

For oil level, I went halfway between the service manual recommendation and racetech's recommendation, but I must have forgotten to write it down. The R6 manual I have says it should be 106 mm, and I wouldn't leave any less air than that.
    Thanks for that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zixaq View Post

There's a screw that i didn't notice at the bottom. I think it deals with rebound. I unscrewed it all the way and it compresses much better. My only concern is im not sure how much it's suppose to compress to begin with. I tried looking it up but couldn't find it. Do you know by chance?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An R6S user manual should have the info on fork adjustments

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by darius View Post
    An R6S user manual should have the info on fork adjustments
    I checked the Manuel just now, good information on asjusting the dampening, rebound, and such. There was no information on how far it can literally pushed down. It's not on the bike yet so I'm pushing by hand. Im probably just making a bigger deal than it is and should wait to put them on. Or maybe not? The R6 Fork

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Suspension travel should be 4.7" with the R6 forks vs 5.1" FZ6 stock

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The R6 Fork

Quote Originally Posted by darius View Post
    Suspension travel should be 4.7" with the R6 forks vs 5.1" FZ6 stock
    Thanks for your help! Pushing it free hand with everything loose (the soft setting) I'm getting about 2.25". When I tighten it to the specs in the r6s manuel, I'm getting about 1.75".

Edit: also to note, they are not on the bike yet so that may be why I'm losing about 3" of play?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast