Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The R6 Fork

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: The R6 Fork

Hi,

I posted this comment on the other thread, i'm posting it here also because I see the discussion here is still fresh.

So... Do you still have the FZ6 Forks and the 4 piston calipers? Do you sell them? If you do, how much would you want for them? I want to change the 2 piston calipers I have now on my FZ6 with 4 piston as I heard they break better, but for that to happen apparently I need to change the front forks too. Oh.. and... do you think that for the ABS version the calipers are "special"? It might be a dumb question but... I don't know everything.

Thanks
    Last edited by bogdani0405; 05-09-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since mine is an 04 it originally had the 2 piston calipers, I installed the R6 ones with some stainless brake lines while I was at it. I sold off off the FZ6 stuff except the original brakes, no one wants those.
    Naked Blue 04 - R6 bits here and there, Carbon fiber this and that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by afpreppie04 View Post
    Since mine is an 04 it originally had the 2 piston calipers, I installed the R6 ones with some stainless brake lines while I was at it. I sold off off the FZ6 stuff except the original brakes, no one wants those.
    Hi

I was asking bd43, but thanks for your answer anyway. Quick question though, did you find a massive improvment with the 4 piston calipers against the 2 piston ones?

Best luck
    Last edited by bogdani0405; 05-10-2010 at 02:11 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bd43 View Post

Fred and Pete mentioned this in their fork mod way back when about the length of the axle. Ill just point out here, with the R6 forks installed on the FZ6, the R6 axle comes in short, roughly 9mm. Not sure what do about this.

Did anyone find a solution for this? Is this really an issue?

2 Da Street, Knobs R Gone FinalImpact's Avatar
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Not an issue....
    The engaged threads are greater than the bolts diameter and taking that in context with force applied is zero risk.
    Bolt torque is 66ft/lbs.
    Pinch bolts are 15 ft/lbs each...
    Plus the pinch bolts basically lock the axle in place.

I wouldn't loose a second of sleep over it.

Grease everything so it doesn't rust!
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

6. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer liked this post
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bigborer View Post
    Did anyone find a solution for this? Is this really an issue?
    One thing I will add is that the tightening sequence is important. Try not to collapse RS outer pinch to a point of having no gap.

• Snug RS pinch bolts (clutch side of bike) so the bolts have light tension applied.
    • Tighten axle bolt to spec. 66ft/lbs.
    • Tighten RS pinch bolts to spec keeping in mind the outer edge has NO axle for the last 8 - 9mm, so try not to lose the gap completely (leave a gap, 15ft/lbs leaves a gap).
    • Tighten LS pinch bolts.

Install brake calipers keeping mind they need 0.100" Spacer so the caliper centers over the rotor.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...
    R6 Forks, R1 Rear Shock (revalved), 6 Ignition Advance, S1 CAT free Header, SS Mid-Pipe, 2Bro Exhaust, AIS block off plates, Bazzaz Z-Fi Fuel Controller & Z-AFM Data Logger, Air Box mod, CR10E Plugs, 48-Tooth Rear Sprocket, FZ1 Bars, Spider Grips, Adj levers, Powder Coated -Triple, Bars & Rear Sets, Solid mounted rear-sets w/knurled pegs, Dual Headlight, Tail Tidy, LED Combo Brake & Directionals, LED POD lights & Tinted PUIG Wind Screen!

8. Thanks bigborer thanked for this post
    Likes bigborer liked this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What if I split the empty space even? Wouldn't it be better to have a gap of ~4,5mm on each side, rather than having one side full and the other 9mm empty? It shouldn't be too difficult to machine the spacers accordingly...

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

I'm not sure that is possible with the product available. The point being the OD of the large end of the axle exceeds the permissible diameter of the left side spacer. Milling it 4.5mm deeper turns it into two parts rendering it ineffective at spacing the wheel in the center and providing a fixed axis for the seal to ride on.

Bottom line is why fix something that is not broke! Buy the kit, buy the forks and install them as is.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It might not be broke (and I'm 99,999% that it'd be fully functional), but there's (almost) always room for improvement .
    The spacer from the larger axle length could be machined to have 2 IDs, and 2 ODs. This would probably mean there is only a tiny bit of material separating the small from the large part (or even turn it into 2 parts, as you said), but that could be solved by machining the exterior of the part in a cone shape, or by leaving a few mm of spacer with the small OD before the big OD begins (haven't yet taken off the wheel, but I'm assuming that a too large OD at the wheel side = rubbing with the outer wheel bearing race).

I got the forks but for now the axle is still in transit... As soon as the axle arrives, I'll measure exactly and try to design the spacers so that both the wheel and axle sit perfectly centered relative to the fork legs. Getting the spacers machined from stainless steel will probably only cost me $10-20 at most.

12. Likes FinalImpact liked this post
    Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Blog Entries

PS there was a CAD drawing on the server of the spacer by Dako. I may have it if you want it. I hear you about making it better, most of us would end up paying more than $20 for this tho...

That said I've got 5+ years and over 20K on them since install.

My bike is currently apart for lighting, fork oil, and front tire replacement but I left the axle with the bike so I can't measure it. You could make the outer edge larger and not run into the seal as it is against the fork leg which IIRC has room to spare in that area.

When you get it together verify the calipers center over the rotor. They need roughly 0.105" spacer to move them inbound.
    08 Raven w/a few mods...

14. Likes bigborer liked this post

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast