Likes Likes:  8
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 145462636465 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed

Sorry if this is a double post but I could not see my reply to motogiro's quote. So posting as a reply to this thread.

Thank you Motogiro for the post link - very helpful info. I had just completed steps 1 & 2 before I saw your reply. Looking forward to the next steps.
    However, I do have another question - once I removed the headlight assembly from the frame, I noticed the H4 and H7 side openings were different sizes. The HID kit I purchased from ebay is 2 x 2.5" HID HALO kits. The posting mentioned it would fit both H4 and H7.

It is the same as this one except only the Halo, no angel/devil light.
    2x 2.5" Motorcycle Bike HID BI-XENON Headlight Projector Kit Halo Angel Eye 55W | eBay

Do I need to buy another kit for the H7 side?

Thank you again.

Vrrroooooom! Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed Motogiro's Avatar
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The forum software may be seeing you as a spammer for some reason, one reason being your new as well.

The H4 and H7 socket are different sockets sizes in the reflector. The HID projectors should be for 2 (correction)H4 type lamp replacements. The original setup is for one H7 and one H4 but since you are doing projectors it's to your advantage to have a projector that has a shutter so that you have high and low beam function in both eyes of the headlamp assembly. You will be opening the original H7 and H4 holes in the reflector to facilitate both of your new projector assemblies.
    Last edited by Motogiro; 07-04-2017 at 02:09 PM.
    If you can't fix it by hitting it with a hammer, it's electrical!

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks again!

The ebay listing said the projectors work for both Hi/Lo. So how do I make sure there is a shutter included - open the projector assembly up? Package has 1 H/L Relay harness that connects to both projectors. So I assume the projectors are setup to handle high/low?

And by "opening the original H7 and H4 holes", do you mean I dremel it out? What would be the safest way to open it up without accidentally destroying the reflectors? I am curious to see how the ebay seller listed it fits both H4 and H7.

And I do see both my posts now.. so looks like I am set up right now

4. Likes Motogiro liked this post
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vrijesh View Post
    Thanks again!

The ebay listing said the projectors work for both Hi/Lo. So how do I make sure there is a shutter included - open the projector assembly up? Package has 1 H/L Relay harness that connects to both projectors. So I assume the projectors are setup to handle high/low?

And by "opening the original H7 and H4 holes", do you mean I dremel it out? What would be the safest way to open it up without accidentally destroying the reflectors? I am curious to see how the ebay seller listed it fits both H4 and H7.

And I do see both my posts now.. so looks like I am set up right now
    Sorry I haven't gotten back to you sooner on this.

H4 or H7 is a lamp type. The H4 has 2 filaments and the H7 has 1 filament.

Here is an image of the H4 on the left and the H7 on the right. The H7 has a smaller mounting base from the H4.
    Notice the H4 has one filament at the top where the filament has a little tub that prevents the filament from emitting light it that directing. The H4 is designed to have only one filament active at any time. Activating both filaments at the same time for any long period will cause overheating of all components including the socket for the H4. For this reason the Low beam filament on the lamp must be turned off when the high beam filament is lit. The FZ6 (Faired US version) does not do this automatic low beam cutoff because it does not use the low beam in the H4 lamp. It only uses the high beam in the eye that has the high beam. The other eye on the bike has the H7 for a low beam.
    Some people hate being told you have a headlamp out as well as wanted better visibility so people wanted to use the unused the low beam filament. Since the factory did not wire the bike this way you needed to use a conversion kit or find the proper wire in the harness to make the H4 perform as a hi/lo beam.

When someone in sales or marketing uses a phrase like H4 you must be sure how they are using the description. They may be using it to describe function(Hi/Lo beam), socket size or electrical switching as for a standard H4. HID lamps don't use filaments for hi and lo beam. Naturally they use a shutter for cutoff of the light that would be the upper high beam spread of light.

There should be a 12 volt line for the shutter. Find that line and apply +12 vdc between it and the ground wire on the unit. You should hear the shutter operating...
    Last edited by Motogiro; 07-13-2017 at 04:47 PM.

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for that detailed write up. Very helpful in understanding these marketing techniques the sellers use and what to look out for. While I am familiar with the basics of the H4 and H7 bulbs, your explanation helps me understand how they work and compare to HIDs, which puts the whole 'shutter' question I had into perspective.

Also, I have been reading up on other posts and see your comments are very helpful and informative - I enjoy reading your write ups just for the info they contain. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom

Quick question - has anyone tried adding signal lights to the headlight assembly (space in the top corner) like our european counterparts have (stock)? Saw this and wondering if it will make a nice addition to my Halo projectors with blackened out reflectors and casing.

FZ6 LED Turn Signals 2004-2008 - $44.99

7. Thanks Motogiro thanked for this post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, please excuse my post if I am not using the right terms – I am new to “mods” but learning a lot, thanks to all the help on here!
    Also, not sure if I should create a new post or keep it all here since these are related.

Ok, so made a bit more progress and things are starting to make more sense as I lay them out and see how they all go together. This also brings up more questions about completing the wiring the way I want it.

To put things in perspective, this is the setup I have in mind:

1. Add LED light strip to the top of the headlight unit (eye brow look).
    2. Add a switch to turn the low beams on as needed AFTER the bike is started.
    3. Both HID projectors will have Hi/Lo (they both have shutters).
    4. Turn the key to the ON position – ONLY the led light strips and halo come on.
    5. Start the bike – headlights are off, halo and leds stay on as DRLs.
    6. Flip the (new) switch to turn on the low beams on both HIDs.
    7. Use the stock switch to flip between low and hi beams on both HIDs.

I would like to connect everything up and test my setup to make sure works properly before I mount it all.
    So here is all that came in the HID projector kit hooked up + the additional LED strips.

Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed-1-setup-jpg

Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed-2-led-strips-jpg

Questions on pic (below):
    1. Where would the wires from the Halo igniters connect to (red box below)?
    2. Where would the wires for the LED light strips connect to? Logic says into wherever the HALO wires connect (blue circles?).
    3. I know the HID kit said no angel/devil eyes. So what are the white (going from projector to the igniters) and red/black wires (blue circles showing connection from projector to the relay harness) for, since no “eyes” on this projector? Or did I get the “eyes” too – if so, seems the hanging red and black wires (red box) from the igniter would connect in to the other set of red/white wires (blue circle) connected into the harness from the projector.

Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed-3-halo-extrawire-jpg

Questions on connections (below):
    1. This is where I am confused (lack of knowledge of course) - The H7 power connector (green circle) - where/how do I wire this in?
    2. Where would I wire in the switch (pink box)? Seems to me the logical place would be to on the route of the main power to the HIDs bulbs (in the path of #1 above??).

Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed-4-switch-power-jpg

Question on shroud below:
    When removing the shroud on one of the projectors, two of the small screws simply snapped and the heads fell out. No undue force or pressure was applied.. all other screws came out fine except for two. Now the rest is stuck in there and don’t want to come out with pliers. What can I do to get them out? O can I just close it up using the 2 remaining screws and seal it somehow to prevent vibrations?

Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed-5-shroud-jpg

Please advice!!

Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you have a schematic or wiring instructions for your HID kit?

You should not need that switch because the headlight circuit does not become active until the engine has been started. If you do need the switch to keep the HID's off for some reason then the switch would go inline between the black with green tracer wire that powers the low beam on the FZ6 and the low beam wire connection in the plug n play H4 assembly on the the kit.

Clif
    SoCal Hoon

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately, no instructions came with the HID kit. I found a close match on the KTMotorcycles.com for a similar kit they sell and am using it as a guide.

Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed-fz6-hid-wiring-jpg

Also, this is what is on the harness (which I think I have got set up right, but again, I am not expert):

Bi-Xenon projector with angel eye installed-6-harness-wiring-jpg

Do these help?

For the switch, I want to add the ability to be able to turn off the low beams (to reduce the load) during the day, and leave only the HALO and LEDs running. I rarely do any night time riding and when I do, I can turn them on.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vrijesh View Post
    Quick question - has anyone tried adding signal lights to the headlight assembly (space in the top corner) like our european counterparts have (stock)? Saw this and wondering if it will make a nice addition to my Halo projectors with blackened out reflectors and casing.

FZ6 LED Turn Signals 2004-2008 - $44.99
    Yes - see here.... http://www.600riders.com/forum/fz6-m...tml#post632708

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gnyce View Post
    Thank you Gnyce. Yes, I found related threads after quite a bit of searching, and these were primarily LED signal lights + LED socket lights. The trick was to find the combination of making Stock Signal lights (on my bike) + LED socket lights work which I found just about an hour back on a different forum Pod LEDs + stock signals and no relay? - Page 2 - Sportbikes.net

Page 64 of 65 FirstFirst ... 145462636465 LastLast